PDA

View Full Version : Islander question for Joey D.

Lite4
10-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Ok Joey, here is what I have got. I have a client I am working with who just built a huge deck with a bar and fire pit. We want to get some lighting in and around the firepit and gathering areas but he is not real hip to the puck lights or permanent post lights. So here is what I had proposed to him but I need to run it by you. The deck he has is elevated about 8' off the ground and I was thinking about mounting some hubble docks around the edges and having some Islanders he could pop in there for parties and take down when the fun is over. He really liked the idea but here is my concern. Being 50" high and docked into a 2-3" port fastened by a couple of screws, my question is, is this thing going to be stable enough? The reason I ask this is once the alcohol starts flowing, folks tend to "bump" into things a bit more often than they normally would and I am afraid of these babies toppling over with a slight nudge. The Hubble was designed for fixtures with stems of around 18" not 50". This is one big lever! So how do I increase stability on these bad boys?

Pro-Scapes
10-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Tim I know you were asking Joey specifically but we put some endeavors (same hieght and stem) and I fabricated a bracket to attach them to a 4 ft tall pool fence. The client had some hyper active golden retrivers who run the fence often and bumped into them

The brackets I made were similar to the unibracket but just a hole in it vs the snap in nut. I then mounted these to the fence with some self tapping screws then painted it to match the fence.

If you have something to work with like a rail to attach to it might work.

wbaptist
10-02-2009, 08:58 PM
The Hubble will work on the Islander. If you were to lean on the fixture it would break the Hubble base. You could order the Islander with a shroter 36" stem. Please see website for options. On the back page of the spec sheet you will see a stand off bracket we offer called the EXO-Bracket.

http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/ISLANDER.htm

Lite4
10-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks guys.

Billy about mid way through the day I was talking to AJ from FOLD trying to figuire this thing out and the whole railing attachment hit me....Duh!!! I will just have to make a bracket that these things can either snap firmly into place or something like a ratcheting or locking strap so he can easily pop these things out when the anebriation is over.

Pro-Scapes
10-03-2009, 09:23 AM
On the back page of the spec sheet you will see a stand off bracket we offer called the EXO-Bracket.

http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/ISLANDER.htm

Wish I knew you guys had these before. That is VERY similar to what I made.

Tim... If you could use that EXO bracket... take the screw holes and slot them out then leave 2 studs (screws not tightened all the way) in your railings so the client could slide into the hubble and slide the exo onto the screws protruding from the rail you could have a viable option. If you dont follow what I am saying email me and I will try to sketch something.

I wouldnt go 36 inches on something that has a flame. Especially in a guest area unless you were doing something on top of the rail. That being said anything with a flame like that should probably still have a more significant mounting.

Lite4
10-03-2009, 10:14 AM
I have a mounting figuired out that will mount to the back of the hand rail and support the whole unit.

Pro-Scapes
10-04-2009, 11:51 AM
If your on the backside of a hand rail you could always do some copper tubes with the hubble in the bottom of them. Client just slips the fixture down in the tube docking it ?

What did you come up with Tim ? I might actually need to use it here at my house as we continue our renovations.

Lite4
10-04-2009, 11:12 PM
I have to go and track down parts to see if I can put it together the way I am thinking is should go. I will let you know if it works like I am thinking.

JoeyD
10-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Wow Tim, sorry I missed this thread, I have been swamped with 3 other projects and havent had much time.

I spoke to AJ about this in regards to your scenario. I am thinkign a modified Perma Post with quick connects would be a better option from a leverage and stability standpoint. Otherwise the Exo-Bracket like Rusty described is an awesome option. Sorry you didnt know about those Billy. Essentially that Exo-Bracket has a rubber grommet that you slide over the stem. The end of the bracket is made similar to our Uni-Bracket aka the gutter bracket. It then attaches it to the wall. The Exo-Bracket also allows for 1-2" of adjustment out or in and simply tightens in place with a wing nut. It is a cool bracket fo rthese taller area lights you want to attach to a wall or post for stability.

Sorry for the delay, let me know if you have anay other questions!!