PDA

View Full Version : I am blessed with great workers....

John Allin
05-05-2002, 11:28 AM
We finished a nice $12K residential job last Friday. We called the customer to make sure he would be there when we finished, and he said he would be. Then he asked if the same crew would be there to finish up the project (yes... they would).

This fellow fed this crew lunch every day, and had doughnuts in the morning too.

So... the crew goes out to finish the job, and our Production Manager shows up to collect the balance due. Mr. Customer pays us in full - thank-you-very-much.

Then he hands the foreman two $100 bills, and hands his two laborers $75 each. Does it in front of the Production Manager.

This is the third such "tip" that this crew has gotten this year (although it is by far the largest). Two other crews have been given gift certificates for dinner(s) for them and their wives, as well as for other establishments.

I am blessed with great workers who believe that 'quality' and 'customer satisfaction' is their first priority (although we do preach that to them during weekly training meetings).

By the way... this is the same customer who's job from last summer won us one of the three awards with the local Builders Association for exterior landscape installation.... We're going to submit this one for this season's competition too.

Our workers are paid 20% above ALCA's posted wages for laborers/foremen for the northeast quadrant of the US. It's things like this that remind me of why that is....

Lanelle
05-05-2002, 11:39 AM
That's great. Just remember this day on some of those 'other' days. I agree that paying men what they are worth, praising them and giving them some tangible rewards pays big dividends in the long run. I'm always thrilled when the men are 'tipped' by the client.

Stonehenge
05-05-2002, 02:43 PM
That's great, but I am a little disappointed...

I thought we were the only ones that got 'tips' at the completion of our projects. :D

Now your challenge to me seems obvious - how do you transfer that attitude to the rest?

Lanelle
05-05-2002, 03:10 PM
Sometimes it helps to 'catch' someone doing the right thing--going to the extra effort to make an excellent outcome and rewarding them for it.

LawnLad
05-06-2002, 02:59 PM
Congrats John... there is another example for what is obviously a well run organization. Not only can you spend 6 months in SLC during the winter, but your crews don't miss a beat on the home front.

Good employees come to work motivated through their own perspective on things... all you can do is give them a great work environment to achieve their best. It sounds like you've hired great employees and they are highly motivated by what your time can do.

Certainly a goal we should all shoot for in our own organization. By the way... not to feel left out here - we have some maintenance customers that send a thank you letter/note and "Christmas" tip the guys at the end of the year. We take 'em out for wings and such.