PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of starting lawn care business

woodie1
10-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Lets just start out in saying I was a real estate agent and with this economy you know how that is going. I have the majority of the equipment already I have a 1 ton truck a 16' trailor a Snapper 36" walk behind with a sukie that was given to me because the gear box was broke. I have a john deer rider 160 for the house, and a case 644 tractor with front end loader and tiller. I also have a spreader for the tractor and a sprayer for the case that holds 55 gallons. I have a Ryobie weed eater with brush cutter atachment. I know I need an edger and a backpack mower I also need to set up an llc and get insurance and plackers. I plan on advertising by post cards this spring for accounts what do you use for a contract? what is the minium charge I know it will be diffrent for diffrent area's.

Exmark Guy
10-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Hey welcome to the site. First off, I need to know where I can pick up one of those "backpack mowers" lol just kiddin, hope you ment blower. Well, from what I have learned over the past 4 years since I started was, yes, pick up insurance, it's best to have it and pay a few hundred a month to cover your but, instead of having to pay thousands for hospital bills for hitting some one in noggin with a rock or somthin, and then get your pants sued of ya. You really dont need to be licensed if your just starting and have a few yards, but whatever flots your boat, it's your dicisson. For the advertising part, you can do many things then just postcards. If your looking to get a bunch of yards, you can get a newspaper add, put ad's on craigslist, (it's Free), or if your looking to target high end neighbor hoods or nice close areas for tight routes, you can pass out fliers, and buissness cards. If you want, you can even put signs on your vehicle and trailer, but I think the best way to pick up costomers, is just by word of mouth. Do good jobs every time, and word will definatly get out about your buisness. Well, hope this gives you some ideas for your buisness, and again, welcome to the site!!!:)

tropical breeze
10-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Do you know how I can get in contact with banks that own homes with yards that are a mess? I live in fL and think this would be a great way to get more bussiness.

woodie1
10-04-2009, 09:20 AM
The bank's will give the homes to real estate agents, and there are usually just a handfull of agents that deal in mostly forclosures. Ask around to the diffrent agents and they can guide you in the right direction. The agent usually has to get 3 bids and they will pick the lowest bid. What usually happens is they get two outside bids and one from there spouse which is only a couple of bucks cheaper. They already know what the lowest bid is so gues who gets the contract. but good luck just know you will be at a disadvantage going into the game. I do contract work for some of the agents, but I am part of that group. I work a little diffrent I don't get payed untill the job is done and it can take up to 3 months to get payed. It makes it easer on the agents because they don't have to wory about draws etc.. Anything you can do to make it easer for the agents will get you business.

tinman
10-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Lets just start out in saying I was a real estate agent and with this economy you know how that is going. I have the majority of the equipment already I have a 1 ton truck a 16' trailor a Snapper 36" walk behind with a sukie that was given to me because the gear box was broke. I have a john deer rider 160 for the house, and a case 644 tractor with front end loader and tiller. I also have a spreader for the tractor and a sprayer for the case that holds 55 gallons. I have a Ryobie weed eater with brush cutter atachment. I know I need an edger and a backpack mower I also need to set up an llc and get insurance and plackers. I plan on advertising by post cards this spring for accounts what do you use for a contract? what is the minium charge I know it will be diffrent for diffrent area's.

google "lawn contract" and you will find some free ones. I bought onein a package from lawnsite. It is good as well. As for the minimum charge.... mine is $40 but that is so varied I would not get caught up in it. As you said it changes from region to region. It also varies depending on how many clients you have on a route. The more you get the more efficient your route becomes. Depends on what services you offer as well. My average lawn mow is around $55 here in Georgia.