PDA

View Full Version : Best U1 Battery Brand

hdtvluvr
10-02-2009, 05:50 PM
One of my mowers came with a Deka battery. It has outlasted 2 Walmart batteries that I have on another mower. Northern Tools has them online but do not carry them in their local store. I like the Deka battery because there aren't any vent caps and the terminals seem to stay clean and the battery has a completely flat top.

Anyway, it's time for another replacement. What is the best brand for a lawn and garden battery?

pugs
10-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Interstate SP40 is what we mainly sell. I stock some SP35's to fit in the new battery boxes on Wright mowers. Also a few SP30's for a slightly cheaper alternative for homeowners.

The ones you get at Walmart are probably like SP18's or SP24's or worse. Basically cheap. Like everything else you get what you pay for. 60-70 bucks buys a good one. That Deka might be even higher than that for those sealed units if its a good one.

Just grab one of the walmart ones and then pickup an SP40 in your other hand.

moandsaw
10-03-2009, 10:34 AM
I've gotten good service from Exide's Briggs & Stratton labeled batteries. The one I use, model BSGT-X, is rated at 300CCA. I don't remember what the Exide equivalent is called, but it shouldn't be hard to find. There may even be a higher CCA rated battery on the market now but the BSGT-X has been good to me.

Pugs is right.....heavier = more lead plates = higher capacity = better battery = more $. Of course better performance may not necessarily mean higher quality so it is important to buy from a place that understands batteries and can stand behind the warranty.
Cheers,
Jeff

Sharpcut 1
10-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Go with Deka. That's all we sell anymore. You know how many electrical problems we chase down with the wal-mart and autozone batteries?? Cells break inside, won't hold charge, don't have enough reserve, ect.ect. Customer say" I just bought this battery 3 months ago"

Another case of you get what you pay for.

hdtvluvr
10-03-2009, 02:45 PM
The nearest dealer for Deka batteries is 140 miles since Northern Tools doesn't stock them. They only have Interstate batteries but they have vent caps that stick up above the battery top. I'd really like a sealed battery.

I did check and it seems I can order the Deka battery from Northern Tools and have it shipped at a cost of $90 :hammerhead: It ships by Yellow Freight since batteries can't go by UPS (according to the website).

Looking around, I found CarQuest's website. There aren't any prices on batteries but their Lawn & Garden battery looks like a re-labeled Deka. Does anyone know for sure?

CarQuest Lawn & Garden Battery (http://www.carquest.com/common/downloads/partsBatteriesCQ_LG.pdf)

Cleve
10-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Just a suggestion, but you might also try one of the battery maintainers from Northern Too. I really got tired of having to replace the one in my Walker diesel at least once a year. After using one of these BatteryMinder series of maintainers I get at least 2 or 3 years life now. The smallest one cost less than $50 at Northern and is supposed to also "desulfnate" (sp) the battery. I've now got one of just about everything with a battery, Backkup generator, pressure washer, mowers, even the car at times.

pugs
10-03-2009, 04:53 PM
The nearest dealer for Deka batteries is 140 miles since Northern Tools doesn't stock them. They only have Interstate batteries but they have vent caps that stick up above the battery top. I'd really like a sealed battery.

Why? Are you planning to run your lawnmower upside down? I understand that the vent caps wont fit in some battery boxes like the newer style Wright Standers...but Interstate makes the SP35 for that now. The vent caps are recessed in and even with the top of the battery.

Are the ones that Northern Tool has in its catalog a good Deka or only ok? They seem way cheap in there? I know when Wright first went to this battery box we were going to get some batteries from them. They were orginally using Deka, but list price going through them for the silly things was 80 bucks. Luckily the SP35's showed up soon after. I am just curious if the Deka for 30 bucks in Northern Tool is anywhere close to the quality of the Interstate SP30 and SP40's? I see it is 300CCA but it doesnt list any other specs about it.

hdtvluvr
10-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Well, there isn't a photo of the SP-35 on the Interstate website so I didn't know it also had a flat top. When I was at Northern Tool, I saw the Interstate display but didn't look close enough to see that 1 model had a flat top.

Here are the specs on the Interstate SP-35. Suggested retail $58.95 and 16.9 pounds.

SP-35 (http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Products/RT/PID-SP-35(Commercial).aspx?dsNavigation=N%7e34-4282691118-4282690861&Title=Lawn+%26+Garden+-+300+CCA)

and for the Deka equivalent (i.e. 300 CCA) Price on Northern Tool website $31.99 and 17 pounds.

See 10U1L (http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/0008.pdf)

The CCA are the same, the weight is the same indicating the same number of plates and the size is almost the same except the Deka is 1/4 in. longer.

LushGreenLawn
10-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Last time I was at the jd dealer all their batteries were deca, as was the one that came in my mower. It lasted for four years.

I have a friend who gets years out of his interstate batteries as well.

I bought a walmart battery for my permagreen, because ot only gets used about 1 day a week, and it still lasted only 2 months. Junk.
Posted via Mobile Device

statman
10-03-2009, 09:13 PM
I work for Johnson Controls, the world largest manufacturer of batteries. Basically, the higher the CCA (cold cranking amps) rating and RC (reserve capacity) rating, the higher plate count, the higher the weight, the higher the price, and the better the battery. JCI makes AC Delco, Sears, Interstate, Walmart, Sams, Energizer, Autozone, and many more (inclding John Deere OE). Most internals are the same, JCI is known as being the industry leader in technology. I have a John Deere OE in my Exmark Lazer and it has lasted about 3 years, which is pretty good for a U1. My dad had a Sears U1 in his sailboat runnign lights only for about 8 years.

PS - many retailers advertise CA - cranking amps, which are a much weaker test on a battery than CCA.

pugs
10-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Well, there isn't a photo of the SP-35 on the Interstate website so I didn't know it also had a flat top. When I was at Northern Tool, I saw the Interstate display but didn't look close enough to see that 1 model had a flat top.

Here are the specs on the Interstate SP-35. Suggested retail $58.95 and 16.9 pounds.

SP-35 (http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Products/RT/PID-SP-35(Commercial).aspx?dsNavigation=N%7e34-4282691118-4282690861&Title=Lawn+%26+Garden+-+300+CCA)

and for the Deka equivalent (i.e. 300 CCA) Price on Northern Tool website $31.99 and 17 pounds.

See 10U1L (http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/0008.pdf)

The CCA are the same, the weight is the same indicating the same number of plates and the size is almost the same except the Deka is 1/4 in. longer.

Yah, only thing that scares me a bit is Deka does not list a reserve capacity in their specs. I should see if there is a distributor for them close by and what they sell for. I have had no trouble with the Deka's that have come in our Wrights. I think our Bobcats may be coming with them now too. Bobcat used to ship EMPTY batteries. We had to add acid and charge them. I think they may have gone to the Deka dry ones to get around shipping and make dealers happy not having to mess with filling them...even though others ship batteries in their machines with no problem...ugh.

If I could sell something as good for alot less it would be nice. But who knows, Northern might sell those real cheap and make their money on the shipping.

LushGreenLawn
10-03-2009, 10:36 PM
I work for Johnson Controls, the world largest manufacturer of batteries. Basically, the higher the CCA (cold cranking amps) rating and RC (reserve capacity) rating, the higher plate count, the higher the weight, the higher the price, and the better the battery. JCI makes AC Delco, Sears, Interstate, Walmart, Sams, Energizer, Autozone, and many more (inclding John Deere OE). Most internals are the same, JCI is known as being the industry leader in technology. I have a John Deere OE in my Exmark Lazer and it has lasted about 3 years, which is pretty good for a U1. My dad had a Sears U1 in his sailboat runnign lights only for about 8 years.

PS - many retailers advertise CA - cranking amps, which are a much weaker test on a battery than CCA.

If all of the batteries are the same as you say, than why are you not buying the cheap wal-mart batteries for your personal stuff? It looks like you bought the most expensive brand available for your exmark.

statman
10-03-2009, 10:49 PM
i didn't buy mine, employee perk

the stuff inside (grids, plates, separators, acid) is basically the same, just more of it.

hdtvluvr
10-03-2009, 11:12 PM
the stuff inside (grids, plates, separators, acid) is basically the same, just more of it.

So which one or ones in your list have the most?

I looked up the Johnson Controls website and could not find any info on Lawn and Garden batteries other than JC makes some. Do you have the spec on the different ones?

hdtvluvr
10-03-2009, 11:54 PM
Yah, only thing that scares me a bit is Deka does not list a reserve capacity in their specs.

I didn't see the reserve capacity specs for the Interstate batteries on their website. Do you know what they are for the SP-35 and SP-40?

Also, Northern Tools did stock Deka's here a year or so ago. I saw them there while shopping for something else and thought great I know where to get one when I need it. They were between $30 & $40 then. Now they don't stock them - at least at my local store. I remember that the price was about the same as what I paid for a Walmart battery.

statman
10-04-2009, 12:09 AM
http://www.autobatteries.com/

statman
10-04-2009, 01:29 AM
i don't have access to the insterstate info from home, just the jci data.
the highest rated unique ibsa (interstate) batt is 300 cca/30rc.

the highest rated jci u1 batt that goes to about every jci customer including ibsa is rated 340/41

the other unique ibsa battery isthe lowest rated jci u1 at 145/12 probably for a forrest gump mower or something like that

pugs
10-04-2009, 03:47 AM
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_estore/content/product_info/lawn_f.asp

U1 SP-40 12 CCA:340 CA:425 RC:41

statman
10-05-2009, 03:54 PM
SUGGESTION ONLY: take some measurements and you MAY be able to fit a small side post (group 75) or a Honda battery (group 51/51R) in there. For the 51/51R, make sure your seat clears the top posts or you will get a shower of sparks at the very least. You will need some marine adapters as well. You will get a lot more life this way.