PDA

View Full Version : Spindle question on a Great Dane

MikeA57
10-02-2009, 05:34 PM
One of the sealed bearings in my 52" Great Dane Surfer blew out so I purchased 2 new ones to replace the old ones with. My question is, should I put any grease in the spindle housing at all or run it dry? There was a small amount of grease in the housing when I took it apart but I figured that was from the seal coming off the bearing.

Mike

dutch1
10-02-2009, 10:24 PM
While you have the spindle out, drill and tap the spindle housing for a 1/4x28 zerk about 1/2" below the lower part of the housing flange--just enough to get a grease gun on the zerk and still clear a bolt head. Remove the inner seals before installing the bearings and you're good to go. I've done a half dozen or so Great Danes when replacing bearings. I usually try to point the
zerks toward the deck outlet. The commercial guys I do work for have been more than satisfied. They sharpen blades every week and they grease at the same time.

Dutch

DuallyVette
10-03-2009, 12:08 AM
I bought some new spindles for my Great Dane 52's. They came with grease fittings AND sealed bearings. No I don't grease them anyway. I like sealed bearings better than open, greasable bearings.

MikeA57
10-03-2009, 08:48 AM
Hmmm, interesting 1 for greasing, and 1 for not. Since it was designed and built without the zerks, I'll probably leave it as it is. I'm a homeowner, not a pro user and it's worked fine the way it is for the guy I bought it from and me too for about 10 years now.

Another question popped up last night after we put the spindle back together. There's about 1/8" up and down play in it after it is all assembled with the snap ring back on and everything. I pulled another one of the spindles off and there was no play whatsoever in it. Is this something I need to be concerned about? I think I should be but it's assembled correctly and the new shaft and bearings all match in height to the old one except for they now have threads on top of the pulley seat to keep it on. I'll try to post pictures this afternoon.

Mike