PDA

View Full Version : 3 plastic dog toys got sprayed

americanlawn
10-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Earlier this week, we sprayed a tiny $24 lawn (1200 s/f front + 400 s/f rear).

So after two days of constant rain, the customer finally called in today to complain that we got spray on these 3 plastic toys (four days ago).

(I overheard the conversation on speaker phone).

1) She said they were both home while "they watched the applicator" apply.

2) She said we sprayed her 3 plastic dog toys while they were eating lunch inside their house.

Here's what my wife said:

1) "If you saw us on your property, why would you let him treat if you were concerned?"

2) "Did you actually see the applicator spray the toys or did he spray around them"?

3) "If you saw us spraying, why did you not pick up the toys"?

The "lady" had no answers to these questions..... she just wanted to interrupt my wife several times and repeated the same thing over & over & over.

Then my wife asked, "Why wait 4 days to call & complain?" "Two days of rain...wouldn't the plastic toys be rinsed off by now?"

Answer: "This was the first chance I had to call". :hammerhead:

Prob is...........these folks are retired. Have no job. Plenty of time on their hands, and they're always home.

We will make them a "call ahead" from now on, so they can clean their lawn of debri. Too bad, cuz this expense will be passed on to the rest of our customers who actually work for a living. If they cause a prob again ------- THEY'RE ON THE CHOPPING BLOCK.

What's your guys' take on this? thanks, rscvp :confused:

LushGreenLawn
10-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Your guy should have moved the three toys. I would rather pick up a few toys than make them a call ahead.
Posted via Mobile Device

suzook
10-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Why would you spray the toys? I agree that the customer was wrong also, but i would NEVER spray any dog toys. You should know better.

Maple Wood
10-02-2009, 08:15 PM
As you well know, we must have thick skin in this bis. Still wants to get to me sometimes. I would not wory about the dog toys unless they keep raising a fuss about it. I agree that you should put them on the chopping block. Life is to short for jerks!

turf hokie
10-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Your applicator should have moved the toys. They should have called immediately if they were only eating lunch and watching your guy spray the toys.

I'll one up you though. I did an application on August 30. Customer calls to complain on October 1 to complain that her lawn is brown and it happened 3 days after the last application and that we need to fix the lawn.

Why wait 4 weeks if the problem happened 3 days later? When we could have fixed the problem with minimal effort.

I looked at it she HAD brown patch, nothing to do now but seed.

She does not believe it was brown patch because "it isnt just patches" it is "big areas" "it was the fertilizer application"

I sigh, explain why it is a fungus and how it is not my fault. She does believe it and wants to cancel because I dont know what I am talking about.

Stillwater
10-02-2009, 08:34 PM
I would have moved the toys not sprayed over them, If by chance accidently sprayed, those toys would have been taken and replaced.

LushGreenLawn
10-02-2009, 08:48 PM
a few questions I have though also... How was the tone of the call? What type of resolution were they looking for? Did they request to be a call ahead?

Mabye she was just making you aware so that it did not happen again. I've gotten those calls...Mr. Sinclair, just wanted to let you know the back gate was open when you left, or, you missed blowing the sidewalk in the back. Most of the time people just want you to be aware for next time.

americanlawn
10-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Ditto with all. If I were spraying, I would have normally picked up the items & thrown them into the bushes, on the deck, in the woods, etc. or whatever.

My prob with this customer .. (if they truly cared), why wait four days to complain? (especially after two days of rain on their plastic toys that they leave out all the time). Seems these plastic toys are a pride possession. :confused:

If they were sitting at their lunch table while watching.....why did THEY not do something about it"? They could have said, "Hey wait a few minutes while I tie up your time". It's a 2000 s/f lawn for God's sake. :hammerhead:

That being said, I agree that it was our fault. On the other hand, I take care of my personal property .. (2 acres), so why don't these people ("who don't work") have time enough to keep their property clean? I work 60 hours a week, yet my "2 acres" is always cared for>>>>GO FIGURE. :hammerhead:

Stillwater
10-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Americanlawn, just due your best to let this crap go, we all have customers like this it is not worth it to let it eat you.

hughmcjr
10-03-2009, 01:28 AM
While I am not promoting spraying the toys, nor am I saying it is a hundred % safe, and it does take time to explain things to customers, here is what I now tell people that get concerned. Most chemicals we use on lawns, beds, etc. are mixed at a rate of an ounce or two per gallon which is sprayed over 1000k sq ft. Yes, the chemicals are highly concentrated and are meant to kill living plants/weeds which they are engineered for, but the actual amount on those dog toys is probably so little and microscopic that the dogs won't even be bothered and most likely have gotten into far worse and dangerous things that are always around the home. Most who are licensed applicators should know this anyway, that most of these chemicals we use, in amounts like on the dog toys, are not even close to being toxic or an issue of overexposure to humans or pets.

hughmcjr
10-03-2009, 01:32 AM
Ditto with all. If I were spraying, I would have normally picked up the items & thrown them into the bushes, on the deck, in the woods, etc. or whatever.

My prob with this customer .. (if they truly cared), why wait four days to complain? (especially after two days of rain on their plastic toys that they leave out all the time). Seems these plastic toys are a pride possession. :confused:

If they were sitting at their lunch table while watching.....why did THEY not do something about it"? They could have said, "Hey wait a few minutes while I tie up your time". It's a 2000 s/f lawn for God's sake. :hammerhead:

That being said, I agree that it was our fault. On the other hand, I take care of my personal property .. (2 acres), so why don't these people ("who don't work") have time enough to keep their property clean? I work 60 hours a week, yet my "2 acres" is always cared for>>>>GO FIGURE. :hammerhead:

I hear you, but like the "teacher" thread discussion just remember to try not to project onto others how we live, think, feel, etc. While you may do this or that, we cannot and should not expect others to live as we do. I think you know that already, but I was just giving a friendly reminder, :waving: maybe to myself as well, because it is hard not to build up a cynical arrogance when dealing with so many different and varying customers, some of whom can be a pain to do business with.

phasthound
10-03-2009, 08:49 AM
Larry the customer is right, the applicator should have removed the toys from the lawn before treatment. How they reacted is not important. What is important is that they alerted you to a problem that I'm sure you will correct.
Use this incident as an opportunity to improve your training methods.

I would send them some new toys and a thank you note for making you aware of the incident. I'm sure these clients are talking to friends about the incident and the follow up conversation. Your reputation will only improve if you act like the gentleman that you are.

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Larry, Larry, Larry. Your two acres is always cared for? What about that Red Cedar and the 2' tall grass underneath it? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Actually, I made this boo-boo once a few years ago. Had a thoughtless jerk who left his backyard (20' deep x 50' long) absolutely loaded with dog toys, balls, kids toys, etc. I'd ALWAYS take the time to huck all the crap out of the treatment zone... but I missed one once.

Sure enough, I get a call from this jacka$$ and he cusses me out like he has Tourettes! I mean, flat out, disturbingly disrespectful. Needless to say, I never went back.

Was the fault mine? Yes. Was the fault his? Every bit as much, for never adhering to the terms of the contract to have his yard ready for me...

It kills me what some people think a few bucks entitles them to sometimes...

drobin
Larry as long as you have been business I'm sure you have heard worse and had stranger reactions at times. I got the slight sense that the wife may have not been in the mood to hear the complaint because it sounded like she was slightly pushing it back on the customer. (No disrespect here bud because my wife and I have both been there also)That is strange that they would wait 4 days but like the idea of buying a few dog toys, you'll be in a better position than when you started.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
My prob with this customer .. (if they truly cared), why wait four days to complain?

Maybe they discussed whether or not to call with all their friends & neighbors first:cry: In which case, you could really turn this around by going above & beyond like Barry said & sending them some new toys & a note. Maybe they would then turn around & tell all those people they dogged you out to about what an upstanding guy you are:)

chrisby316
10-03-2009, 02:23 PM
I think the question should be why the hell are you doing a lawn for $24?!

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-03-2009, 02:50 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: He just might be on to something, Larry. :dancing:

Not that I'm going to question your operation. You're doing a heckuva lot better than me. :waving:

Think Green
10-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Larry may have 6-8 lawns in this neighborhood so he can cut a little bit of a break!!
However, 25 bux isn't worth a chewing over the phone for.....! The applicator should have moved any or all personal objects from the lawn unless it was excessive. A phone call should have been placed to you and or the customer. The lawn could have been resumed after the objects moved or a return to the lawn at the end of the day.
I can't pin blame on stupidity of any person doing any type of work. Chemicals whether they are organic or inorganic, must be handled and treated as though they are nuclear.
Plastics absorb any and all remnants of residues. You can't be at the job each and every time the applicator is there, so be blunt and objectionable with the applicator and explain the rules of common sense with him. If he or she can't get the gist of what they are doing and can't set fourth common sense, then maybe they shouldn't be applying anything but water......................!!
The customer is right in their argument as fault was established. I would have went to PetSmart and purchased them some more dog toys. Next time, watch out for any personal effects lying in the grass.!! The next time it will come out of the employees check............not the company.

FERT-TEK
10-03-2009, 04:42 PM
I just caught this thread and want to weigh in...

Regarding the applicator spraying the dog toys, as a practice I will walk a property to check for hot spots and look for things that are either obstacles or property that needs to be moved. Having said that I know that I have missed things in the past regardless of my efforts. Unfortunately, now is the part where I have to do what is right. That means repair or replacing the things damaged ie the toys. Either offer to wash them or replace if they cannot be washed. Be careful that the customer doesnt claim at a later date that their dog got liver cancer or failure due to this incident. I would replace the toys and lesson learned.
The customer waiting four days to complain, the customer either knew that the toys were there and chose to make an issue of this or found them later and claimed that they saw them get sprayed. In either case the customer sounds like someone that cannot be trusted and may make other false claims against you at a later date. You damaged my siding on my house or scratched my car. If they knew that the toys were there they should have moved them or stopped your applicator so they might moved them. Is it also possible that the dog moved them after they were moved and the customer did not really see the applicator spray them.

ted putnam
10-03-2009, 07:48 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: He just might be on to something, Larry. :dancing:

Not that I'm going to question your operation. You're doing a heckuva lot better than me. :waving:

Hey,don't bust on him too hard. I've got a handful of Front & Siders that are <1500 sq ft that I do for $25 bucks. Only because they are in a neighborhood with other customers and I can treat them with a hand/chest spreader faster than I can write the invoice...Of course, we don't want to pull that skeleton out of the closet. Do we Whoop??:laugh::laugh: However, I don't open a gate and enter a back yard for less than $36. Company Policy! :laugh:$10-15/k is decent money just about anywhere. If people didn't know better, they might think he was lowballing to gain market share in his area.

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Hey,don't bust on him too hard. I've got a handful of Front & Siders that are <1500 sq ft that I do for $25 bucks.

I'm only ribbing him because I can. (Larry knows I love him... he even caught me peeking in his windows at night.) I know he knows what he's doing. :laugh: I even have two lawns that I charge $30 each for. (But that's because they're side-by-side, owned by the same guy, and I get $60 for a total of 3k of grass.)

Only because they are in a neighborhood with other customers and I can treat them with a hand/chest spreader faster than I can write the invoice...Of course, we don't want to pull that skeleton out of the closet. Do we Whoop??:laugh::laugh:

Funny you should mention that, because I've already informed my wife that she'll be riding along for a while this year and recording it just so all the haters can kiss my arse. :laugh::waving:

honeydopm
10-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Go buy them a few cheap dog toys and 1) solve the problem and 2)make the customer happy!

ted putnam
10-03-2009, 10:09 PM
QUOTE=whoopassonthebluegrass;3213428](Larry knows I love him... he even caught me peeking in his windows at night.)

Please put my mind at ease and tell me you weren't spanking Little Tommy behind the ears when he caught you...:laugh::laugh:

Heidi J.
10-03-2009, 10:10 PM

I know.. I'm still reeling from that info:)

Sometimes, all it takes is an apology and tell them you will note the account and make sure it doesn't happen again. Be sure to mention it to the applicator as well. We are lawn care professionals, not psychologists, we can't always try to figure out why people do what they do..lol
Not enough hours in the day:laugh:

:waving:

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Please put my mind at ease and tell me you weren't spanking Little Tommy behind the ears when he caught you...:laugh::laugh:

What? Me? Flogging the Pope? :cool2:

SimonCX
10-03-2009, 11:12 PM
First thing, why would someone spray the dog toys and not just throw them to the side? Be thankful that the client didn't call the dep because that would have been a whole boat load of problems. Tell them sorry, buy some new toys and be happy it ends at there and you still have that client and not a state inspector asking alot of questions.

QUOTE(((Most who are licensed applicators should know this anyway, that most of these chemicals we use, in amounts like on the dog toys, are not even close to being toxic or an issue of overexposure to humans or pets. )))QUOTE

Not true, I found out my dog is very allegic to merit or allectus and gets very sick lasting for 3 to 4 weeks after an app. I found out the hard way with alot of vet bills after, so if anyone thinks that the chemicals we put down won't do anything to pets will have a really big eye opener when it happens to a client and they hand you all the vet bills or a court order.

hughmcjr
10-04-2009, 12:25 AM
First thing, why would someone spray the dog toys and not just throw them to the side? Be thankful that the client didn't call the dep because that would have been a whole boat load of problems. Tell them sorry, buy some new toys and be happy it ends at there and you still have that client and not a state inspector asking alot of questions.

QUOTE(((Most who are licensed applicators should know this anyway, that most of these chemicals we use, in amounts like on the dog toys, are not even close to being toxic or an issue of overexposure to humans or pets. )))QUOTE

Not true, I found out my dog is very allegic to merit or allectus and gets very sick lasting for 3 to 4 weeks after an app. I found out the hard way with alot of vet bills after, so if anyone thinks that the chemicals we put down won't do anything to pets will have a really big eye opener when it happens to a client and they hand you all the vet bills or a court order.

Notice I said most chemicals and most typically we are using 2,4-d/banvel types for lawns for weed control and they aren't an issue. You also made the point your dog is allergic to certain chemicals. Again, I am not promoting or suggesting doing it, but I remain confident that what I said in my first post in general is accurate. I also need to clarify about the type of chemicals I meant. I meant weed control, herbicides that work on plant structures/biology, where insecticides like you mention work on living creatures, ie bugs and are more of an issue to humans and pets.

As far as liver cancer and pets due to chemicals, that would be a tough one to prove in court especially due to the fact virtually none of the chemicals, herbicides that is, most of us use are known to cause liver cancer etc. The thing is who wants or can afford to have to get a lawyer for work that doesn't even make a profit to begin with due to tight margins. The best advice is not to spray things humans or animals will use within a reasonable amount of time after the application that might cause health concerns.

naughty62
10-04-2009, 10:21 AM
I have had to wash of a couple toys or throw away dried squirrel frisbees .I have placed flags around a dead, smelly Opossums and sprayed around it .not to mention deer carcases in country this time of the year .I love going to properties littered with toys ,bikes and junk .I will pile the junk on the sidewalks,neighbors yard ,near trash cans ,in the middle of driveways.Sit down and discuss it with your applicators so the now what is expected of them .

Ric
10-04-2009, 11:46 AM
My 2 cents

Fert & Squirt is to add Ornamental value to the homeowner's property. Some how when I read posts like this one, I feel you all are leaving out the Mental part of Ornamental.

phasthound
10-04-2009, 12:04 PM
My 2 cents

Fert & Squirt is to add Ornamental value to the homeowner's property. Some how when I read posts like this one, I feel you all are leaving out the Mental part of Ornamental.

What do you mean Ric?

americanlawn
10-04-2009, 05:01 PM
I think Ric has a point. He's suggesting that my applicator was wrong. I agree. Like I mentioned, I would have tossed the 3 plastic toys in any direction I saw fit before spraying, just to "remove the crap" out of their yard. (Larry)

While I'm at it I'll dig up the swing set, dismantle the trampoline, and tarp off the sandbox. If they want a nice looking lawn they should understand that inevitably something is going to get hit peripherally unless they remove it themselves. Not that it's done intentionally by me. (Brian)

I have run service calls cuz we didn't spray the weeds growing in the kids' sandbox (we're talkin' spraying pesticides on surfaces where children play). (Larry)

This has been an interesting thread, and surely appreciate all replies. (whoopass -- you're the best). Thanks all, americanlawn :usflag:

Ric
10-04-2009, 06:29 PM
What do you mean Ric?

Slow Dog

If I have to spell it out!!! so be it.

I mean this thread about dog toys has no business in a professional forum. Common sense should tell you to move the Dog Toys out of your way. If your employee is a Fool and has no common sense, that is your stupidity for hiring them or keeping them. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know people consider their dog part of the family. Hopefully you wouldn't spray the Children's toys either. We are in a service business and work for the customer. The customer Hires us so they don't have to do the job themselves, which includes moving what every is in the way. Sorry But I am very disappointed with the level of discussion the Pesticide forum has fallen too of late.

phasthound
10-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the clarification Ric. I agree 100%. Our responsibilities go beyond just providing a green lawn. It also includes respect for the owners of the properties we are working on.

phasthound
10-04-2009, 06:49 PM
I think Ric has a point. He's suggesting that my applicator was wrong. I agree. Like I mentioned, I would have tossed the 3 plastic toys in any direction I saw fit before spraying, just to "remove the crap" out of their yard. (Larry)
It's not "crap", it's your client's personal property. Barry

While I'm at it I'll dig up the swing set, dismantle the trampoline, and tarp off the sandbox. If they want a nice looking lawn they should understand that inevitably something is going to get hit peripherally unless they remove it themselves. Not that it's done intentionally by me. (Brian)
Is that how you would want a service company to treat you? I have a hard time believing a well trained, conscientious pesticide applicator can't keep on target with today's equipment. Barry

I have run service calls cuz we didn't spray the weeds growing in the kids' sandbox (we're talkin' spraying pesticides on surfaces where children play). (Larry)
I hope you pulled them by hand and explained why to your client. Barry

.................................................................................................

Heidi J.
10-04-2009, 07:32 PM

This has been an interesting thread, and surely appreciate all replies. (whoopass -- you're the best). Thanks all, americanlawn :usflag:

I guess I can see why your customers may have had the issue in the first place.. It's hard to stroke others egos, if you let yours get in the way:laugh: That's all these people were looking for when they called to complain. They just wanted you to say your sorry. Add notes for your applicators and move on..Not sure who Brian is, but if he is your applicator, I sure would not let him in front of my customers.

I hope you are kidding about running service calls on weeds in sandboxes, because if that happened in my company..heads would surely roll;)
JMO

Heidi J.
10-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Slow Dog

If I have to spell it out!!! so be it.

I mean this thread about dog toys has no business in a professional forum. Common sense should tell you to move the Dog Toys out of your way. If your employee is a Fool and has no common sense, that is your stupidity for hiring them or keeping them. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know people consider their dog part of the family. Hopefully you wouldn't spray the Children's toys either. We are in a service business and work for the customer. The customer Hires us so they don't have to do the job themselves, which includes moving what every is in the way. Sorry But I am very disappointed with the level of discussion the Pesticide forum has fallen too of late.

I disagree, there are people here who can and will learn from this. I think it does belong here. The point that Larry was trying to get across wasn't why they were upset he sprayed the toys, he was pointing out that they watched it and then waited a few days to call to complain. He knows the toys shouldn't have gotten sprayed.

I have been on these forums for a while now and am amazed at the questions people ask and the comments that are made. I hate when people are criticized for asking questions that may seem stupid, but in reality.. they just don't know or have not been around as long as some.

Be glad you have the knowledge you do and that you don't have to rely on others for advice:)

:waving:

phasthound
10-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Well said Heidi.

ted putnam
10-04-2009, 11:05 PM
[QUOTE=Heidi J.;3214813]

Be glad you have the knowledge you do and that you don't have to rely on others for advice:)
.........and that you're probably not babysitting others who should and probably do know better. One thing I've noticed in adding employees is that it's human nature to be lazy...even just a little. When it's your business, it's your "baby". They(employees) know that. They don't care as much as you and they aren't going to. They just want to get the work done, go home and collect their check when its time. For this reason they will cut corners that you wouldn't. Especially if they think nobody will care or even notice...

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-05-2009, 12:59 AM
Drop this customer at end of season first of all....

I find these dog goodies all the time in my mowing yards. Lots of times, they never get picked up even if it is in my agreement to keep yards free of various debris. So, I just mow the stuff over, shoot it out the side and over the chain link fence. The customer does have to uphold their end of the agreement THAT THEY SIGNED.

So, your applicator is fine, I am sure he didn't mean it anyway. Just move on.....

AmGreen
10-05-2009, 08:49 AM

I find these dog goodies all the time in my mowing yards. Lots of times, they never get picked up even if it is in my agreement to keep yards free of various debris. So, I just mow the stuff over, shoot it out the side and over the chain link fence. The customer does have to uphold their end of the agreement THAT THEY SIGNED.

So, your applicator is fine, I am sure he didn't mean it anyway. Just move on.....

You're an idiot. Do you have any idea how stupid you look by running over trash/toys in a yard with a lawn mower...lazy.

NattyLawn
10-05-2009, 09:09 AM
A lot of range to the responses on this subject. If I see dog toys in the yard, common sense tells me to pick them up. If it was my dog, would I want him or her chewing on a toy coated with herbicide? Hell No! It's just downright dangerous and a liability issue for your company (and I'll throw it out there that I don't own my company as well). I'd say about 5 times a year I'll mistakenly spray a bone or tennis ball hiding in the tall grass or run over by the mower who has no time to get off his machine and toss it on a deck or driveway. If I spray them, they're coming with me, and I let the customer know on the invoice that I sprayed it and took it. If they want the toy replaced they can call and I'll replace it, but mostly I get thank you calls that I didn't leave the sprayed ball or bone there for the dog to run out and play with. A sprayed toy on a $24 dollar lawn isn't worth the hassle of dealing with the BS that you're dealing with now. It sounds like a lot of American's employees are some sort of relation. They should be the ones that want you to do well and do the best job. Or is it maybe a production quota the techs need to meet? A bunch of $24 dollar lawns equals a pretty long day when you have to hit a grand to go back to the office.

ted putnam
10-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Site Preparation. It's like the second thing that is covered in any basic application guide...It's right after PPE :dizzy:

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-05-2009, 10:59 AM
You're an idiot. Do you have any idea how stupid you look by running over trash/toys in a yard with a lawn mower...lazy.

Thanks. If I advise my customers a 2nd time to keep lawns free of debris, and they still leave stuff laying out there......it doesn't bother me too much if I hit a dog toy laying in tall grass. Thats all I am saying.

Ric
10-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks. If I advise my customers a 2nd time to keep lawns free of debris, and they still leave stuff laying out there......it doesn't bother me too much if I hit a dog toy laying in tall grass. Thats all I am saying.

Guys like you are why I can charge 125% higher than TG/CL and still steal their customers. Keep up the good work.

Stillwater
10-05-2009, 11:21 AM

I think the description of the quality of your service is outstanding not to mention your defense and praise of a applicator that sprays dogs in the face that is the same as spraying the dog toys. ya, spray dog toys get a complaint drop the customer. Do you put the destruction of personal property in your advertisements or is this just a unadvertised benefit of having DA Quality Lawn& YS provide service.

LushGreenLawn
10-05-2009, 11:46 AM
I think the description of the quality of your service is outstanding not to mention your defense and praise of a applicator that sprays dogs in the face that is the same as spraying the dog toys. ya, spray dog toys get a complaint drop the customer. Do you put the destruction of personal property in your advertisements or is this just a unadvertised benefit of having DA Quality Lawn& YS provide service.

Mabye he should change his name to "DA Crappy Quality Lawn & YS".

I take customers from guys like this all the time.

superintendent
10-05-2009, 12:05 PM
$24 dollars for a 1600 sf lawn. You have to be the cheapest in the world.

LushGreenLawn
10-05-2009, 12:10 PM
$24 dollars for a 1600 sf lawn. You have to be the cheapest in the world.

If you saw how big his operation was you would see that its working for him.

ike1018
10-05-2009, 12:48 PM
At least everyone agrees that the toys should not have been sprayed. As far as how to handle the situation I will weigh in on what I would do for what it's worth.

1. Apologize to the customer and recommend to them to dispose of the toys. I like the idea of sending them a card with a few new plastic toys. This would be a cheap fix. It really doesn't matter what the customer was doing or how long it took to call, the bottom line is your guys sprayed the toys when he shouldn't have and left them in the yard.

2. I would put a note on the customers account about the toys and record the service call. This does two things. One, makes future applicators aware of potential dog toys in the yard. Two, if the customer becomes a problem customer... too many suspicious service calls and/or collections issue then their account would most likely be canceled.

3. The employee had to be aware of his mistake when he made it. Coach him on how best to handle it in the future. Provide written warning to the employee on the mistake. If this is 1 of several recorded mistakes then termination may be required. Anyone could have accidentally sprayed a dog toy in a yard, the applicators real mistake was what he did afterwards...nothing.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Mabye he should change his name to "DA Crappy Quality Lawn & YS".

I take customers from guys like this all the time.

No, you wouldn't. Contact my customers, they are very satisfied with what I do.

The applicator in question in the OP may have just made a mistake in hosing down the doggie doo dads. Everyone makes mistakes, lay off him.
Yes, I have hit things in tall grass that I do not see. It happens. I tell my customers about this afterward and offer to reconcile. What else are you going to do? Thanks for condemning me guys for what can be honest or unavoidable mistakes.

Also, sorry my first post was not worded well. It DID sound like I do things purposeful but I was referring to mistakes. My bad.

Stillwater
10-05-2009, 04:13 PM

Ok so how would you start to re-word this.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Forget my posts - they were in poor taste, again my apologies.

Larry, sorry to misroute your thread.

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Man, don't you just love how vicious LS can be? :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

ted putnam
10-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Man, don't you just love how vicious LS can be? :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

The only thing missing is a bucket of tar and a bag of feathers...

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-05-2009, 08:31 PM
The only thing missing is a bucket of tar and a bag of feathers...

I'm pointing my fingers here at myself as much as anyone else (I'll be the first to admit I can be thoughtless and unkind - though I've been working on it), but I frequently wonder why there is so much tearing-each-other-down on here and so little building-each-other-up?

I mean, don't we gather on here to be peers, share our common interest(s), enjoy each others' company, and learn together?

Don't mean to sound naively altruistic, but this site would be 100x's better if we could achieve that caliber of rapport.

(Now excuse me while my conscience compels me to go PM someone I blasted on here not too long ago...)

Think Green
10-05-2009, 09:06 PM
We all need more COWBELL-!!!!!

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-05-2009, 09:20 PM
We all need more COWBELL-!!!!!

:laugh: The irrigators threatened mutiny if they had to keep looking at my signature, so I have temporarily disabled it.

americanlawn
10-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks whoopass (and other friends). One thing I know is DA Quality is just that ....."quality". I have met him & know him. (does anybody else?)

Brian is one of my guys, he just wanted to offer his opinion. Can't blame him cuz he works really hard and tries his best. (bottom line - he's has pride in his work).

When I first started my own business, I probably had less than ten service calls/complaints that first year. Folks, I wish I could treat every lawn myself, but I'm getting older. I still put in way more hours per week than anybody else, and customers always say, "Larry, you need to hire more help".

Anybody that owns a business knows that employees don't care as much as the owner regarding quality. That's the nature of most businesses.

On the other hand, "we're in the business to make money, not give it away". (quote from my wife). Customers who need a "personal gardener" = we do not want 'em, cuz we cannot afford to spend an hour on each small property. We have to pay bills and still run a profit. Otherwise - my guys would not have a job.

I chewed out the applicator who sprayed the dog toys. I also apologized to the customer who is now a "call ahead the day before". (of course hiring staff to make phone calls adds to the cost of our operation, and ends up costing more money for the rest of our customer base who take proper care of their property). Kinda like president osama's idea of "spreading the wealth". :laugh:

Interesting post, eh? :laugh:

I'm pointing my fingers here at myself as much as anyone else (I'll be the first to admit I can be thoughtless and unkind - though I've been working on it), but I frequently wonder why there is so much tearing-each-other-down on here and so little building-each-other-up?

I mean, don't we gather on here to be peers, share our common interest(s), enjoy each others' company, and learn together?

Don't mean to sound naively altruistic, but this site would be 100x's better if we could achieve that caliber of rapport.

(Now excuse me while my conscience compels me to go PM someone I blasted on here not too long ago...)

Stillwater
10-05-2009, 11:39 PM
Forget my posts - they were in poor taste, again my apologies.

Larry, sorry to misroute your thread.

No apologies necessary, I have made a few posts myself I wish could be deleted.