PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Find work so i'm going to comitt...

David Hartzog
10-02-2009, 08:51 PM
to going back to lawn care. I have had enough laying around sleeping and eating bon bons.

I have had some work working for a local landscape company, Adam the owner was a young arrogant guy that never could smile or laugh so basically i drove him crazy and he drove me crazy from his uptight trying to grow a diamond up his rear so i was let go.

The next job i work for a guy painting the local walmart.he was a crook he stolen from walmart and Lowe's when he needed things i found out later from the owner of the company that hired him to paint the walmart they shelled out $28k that he pocketed and the last check all 3 emoyees were screwed out of our final pay check my loss $593.00. He quit the job and took off back to NC. He also stolen the brand new power painter. i wish i new some one that could find him because he took my garmin gps the last night i saw him before he skipped town I should give his Phone # out.

So now i am with out money and no job so here's the part where i go into bon bon mode. 2 months of sleeping some days not even getting dressed i sleep eat lay around angry discussed and confused.

Then finally last month i was about to go insane (no guys even more crazy) I get a call from my bishop at church asking if i could help him build a patio at his house i was so delighted to help even not knowing if i would be payed.
ps i was pay very well.

apparently I was the greatest of help to him Even though we had many people come by to offer there help volunteering.

Due to me getting to his house Early and leaving some time at 9pm we had a very long talk and i spilled my guts i told he my life story after all i said he said to me i probably should never work for a employer again and i should be looking at going back into self employment.

so here i sit letting my old friend on lawn site know

I'm Back.

JNyz
10-02-2009, 08:55 PM
You should of took a writing class while you were sitting around.

David Hartzog
10-02-2009, 09:05 PM
I was to busy sleeping + i am bipolar with A.D.D and i did not have medical help when i was young so i missed out on a good education i wish i could of had the meds they have now. So i say sorry for giving you a headache.:):confused:

JNyz
10-02-2009, 09:11 PM
It is never too late. Just take it slow, relax and just read a little of something you like everyday. You will be fine. Good Luck.

Kutz Lawns
10-02-2009, 09:14 PM
"You should of took a writing class while you were sitting around"

You just have to read it 2 or 3 times that's all!

madisonpressurewashing
10-02-2009, 09:23 PM
What part of Alabama?

David Hartzog
10-02-2009, 09:32 PM
What part of Alabama?

Eufaula, 45 miles north of Dothan

David Hartzog
10-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Looks like i need to update my records. now live in Ohio Athens county i moved here from Alabama in march '09. My wife couldn't take the south anymore she wanted to be near her family so i sold the lawn care and moved here i like the cool weather but i hate this town. maybe once i get to know people it will grow on me.

timberbrook
10-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Written using proper grammar: "You should have taken a writing class while you were sitting around".:confused:

David Hartzog
10-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Written using proper grammar: "You should have taken a writing class while you were sitting around".:confused:

Stop already, my wife was going to check but the kids had to be put to bed so i hit send.

Mowingman
10-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Glad to see you back in the business. I love that part of Ohio. I was born and raised just a short distance from Athens, in Marietta. You are in one of the most beautiful parts of this country. Grass grows good there also. Good luck.

David Hartzog
10-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Glad to see you back in the business. I love that part of Ohio. I was born and raised just a short distance from Athens, in Marietta. You are in one of the most beautiful parts of this country. Grass grows good there also. Good luck.

Thank you, I'll be writing soon on how i plan to start fresh i still have to buy equiment and get ready.

Hanau
10-02-2009, 10:42 PM
So I take it you're going to jump into leaves, snow, and then buy mow equipment in the spring? Or are you going to hunker down for the winter and start workng in the spring?

I don't know the local climate where you're at but you might still be able to get bulbs in the ground. Doesn't require much equipment and it's a good way to get your name out.

Junior M
10-02-2009, 10:50 PM
It is beautiful, I am from just north of both of yall in the Newark area...

topsites
10-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayum....

Well I was wondering where you'd been, was hoping everything was all right,
even thou I never met you, glad to see you back.

J & D Greens
10-03-2009, 01:00 AM
David,
Good luck, I have a good feeling you will do just fine.

tacoma200
10-03-2009, 01:06 AM
Ok, I forgot what the H*%$ is a bon bon?

Stillwater
10-03-2009, 10:10 AM

Depends on where in the world you are, in the US. a bonbon is chocolate covered ice cream or cream cheese. In Europe it is sugar coated almonds or fruit.

Shasta Lake Landscaping
10-03-2009, 10:23 AM
How come you stopped? Do you have any work or contracts lined up?

Mowingman
10-03-2009, 12:41 PM
He relocated to another part of the country.

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Hey, David! Just be patient and smart about this. :) And make sure Jenny is on the same page as you in this go round of the lawn care life. :waving:

David Hartzog
10-03-2009, 11:16 PM
So I take it you're going to jump into leaves, snow, and then buy mow equipment in the spring? Or are you going to hunker down for the winter and start workng in the spring?

I don't know the local climate where you're at but you might still be able to get bulbs in the ground. Doesn't require much equipment and it's a good way to get your name out.

I feel i should take it slow, first get a truck like a f-250. I have a red max 8001 3 weed eaters, sp push mower,chainsaw but no mower or trailer all the big equipment went with the sale of the company in Alabama.

I made a list of things i can provide here.The list is just a reference for me to have a starting point.
1.Lawn care
2.Graffiti removal(Shark Tank)
3.Tree care
4.Otps
5.Hauling
6.Bed redefining
7.Fertilizing
8.Presure washing
9.Car detailing
10.Painting
11.window cleaning
12.General Helper

David Hartzog
10-03-2009, 11:17 PM
It is beautiful, I am from just north of both of yall in the Newark area...

I like the cooler weather.

David Hartzog
10-03-2009, 11:22 PM

The bon bon bite was to relate that i was just being a lazy, not that i ate any bon bons it was a figure of speech.:)

David Hartzog
10-03-2009, 11:27 PM

As mowman said i did move to the ohio area due to my wife wanting to be near her family i don't have family here my family (dad) is in florida and my sister is out in utah as we as my half brother he a explosive expert serving far away.

David Hartzog
10-03-2009, 11:40 PM
Hey, David! Just be patient and smart about this. :) And make sure Jenny is on the same page as you in this go round of the lawn care life. :waving:

Ha Ha jenny well jenny has refused to get on the boat. Jenny wants nothing to due with this i am going to have people from church help me.

timberbrook
10-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Stop already, my wife was going to check but the kids had to be put to bed so i hit send.

I was simply pointing out to JNyz that his suggestion of writing classes was funny because of his grammar mistake "You should of took a writing class while you were sitting around". He wrote.
Which should have been written. You should have taken a writing class while you were sitting around. I Found humor in his hypocritical statement since he was suggesting writing classes and could not use proper grammar himself.

THC
10-04-2009, 05:48 PM
i am bipolar with A.D.D
Don't put that on your business card and good luck.

David Hartzog
10-04-2009, 10:13 PM
I was simply pointing out to JNyz that his suggestion of writing classes was funny because of his grammar mistake "You should of took a writing class while you were sitting around". He wrote.
Which should have been written. You should have taken a writing class while you were sitting around. I Found humor in his hypocritical statement since he was suggesting writing classes and could not use proper grammar himself.

Some times i just don't understand thing no matter how simple they my be.

David Hartzog
10-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Don't put that on your business card and good luck.

I was jokeing with my wife some time ago and stated i should just have the name BIPOLOR LAWN CARE

Charles
10-05-2009, 08:22 AM
I was jokeing with my wife some time ago and stated i should just have the name BIPOLOR LAWN CARE

You know, most people wouldn't know you have that disease if you didn't tell them all the time. I hope you don't do that in real life. Sure doesn't help you get anywhere in the business world. There is definitely a stigma related to it. Take your meds and never mention it. That is the kind of attention you don't want. People will avoid you and businesses/customers won't hire you. Go to counseling that the government provides and you can talk about it all you want. No good can come from announcing it to the world

David Hartzog
10-07-2009, 12:16 AM
[QUOTE=Charles;3215593]. No good can come from announcing it to the world.

I do find myself saying i have problems and i wonder if its from the relief of knowing that i am the way i am.
I hate when others talk to me and state the same things i genally say and i don't want to be around those people.

Total Grounds Maintenance
10-07-2009, 02:04 AM
[QUOTE=Charles;3215593]. No good can come from announcing it to the world.

I do find myself saying i have problems and i wonder if its from the relief of knowing that i am the way i am.
I hate when others talk to me and state the same things i genally say and i don't want to be around those people.

You talk about it because you are not 100% comfortable with the way you are. If it makes you feel better to talk about it confide in your close friends and family. Its a hard thing to deal with and the more stress your under the worse the symptoms can be. People who do not understand what it is like to have an affliction that disturbs your every thought process or that sets you off, creates ateness\procrastination and makes it hard to self motivate will never understand. Hang in there find some work and be yourself.

MarkintheGarden
10-07-2009, 09:52 AM

So should have you, he should have taken a writing class, not took!

MarkintheGarden
10-07-2009, 10:00 AM
David, it sounds like you have a good person to lean on in the Bishop from your church.
We all need this kind of support and with this and a little hard work, I am sure you can do fine.

Mrs. H
10-07-2009, 08:57 PM

Ha Ha Ha! I needed a good chuckle today.

I DON'T even want to be in the same book, let alone on the same page.

However, a guy that is helping David develop a strategy has suggested that we BOTH go through this seminar thing he's got going on starting sometime next week. So, here I go.

David Hartzog
10-07-2009, 09:16 PM
WHAAAAHAHA, My evil scheme is working.

David Hartzog
10-12-2009, 10:19 PM
I really don't want jenny in my business again.

Mrs. H
10-14-2009, 04:58 PM
I really don't want jenny in my business again.

That makes two of us, Love.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
10-14-2009, 06:46 PM
I mean no offense by what I'm about to say; so, please don't take this badly. Operating an Lco is more than just spinning blades over grass- as you already know. I takes a lot to run a successful business. Brain, brawn, fortitude, stability, persuasiveness, and much more.

You already have 2 strikes against you. 1 being that you are obviously not the most litterate of people. I'm not saying that you are not intelligent. But, captains of business must be able to express themselves. Your second strike is the fact that you are bipolar. Business, the economy, even weather make for some turbulent times in our vocation. With your disease, even when you are medicated, I doubt that you are REALLY able to deal with the curveballs that are constantly hurled at us. If I remember correctly, you have children. It's not fair to them to be at the mercy of your whimsy. Get a job, get a newspaper route, do SOMETHING to be a breadwinner for your family... But not a business operator.

Mrs. H
10-19-2009, 09:25 AM
I mean no offense by what I'm about to say; so, please don't take this badly. Operating an Lco is more than just spinning blades over grass- as you already know. I takes a lot to run a successful business. Brain, brawn, fortitude, stability, persuasiveness, and much more.

You already have 2 strikes against you. 1 being that you are obviously not the most litterate of people. I'm not saying that you are not intelligent. But, captains of business must be able to express themselves. Your second strike is the fact that you are bipolar. Business, the economy, even weather make for some turbulent times in our vocation. With your disease, even when you are medicated, I doubt that you are REALLY able to deal with the curveballs that are constantly hurled at us. If I remember correctly, you have children. It's not fair to them to be at the mercy of your whimsy. Get a job, get a newspaper route, do SOMETHING to be a breadwinner for your family... But not a business operator.

Obviously, David hasn't seen this yet. I read it last week and decided to leave well enough alone. But, I have decided to cut it off before he DID take it the wrong way.

David IS smart. Throws people off, especially competitors. One of his rivals back in AL loved calling the state to report him when he first started, so David walked in and took the OTPC test, passed and the guy admitted he didn't realize David was that smart. Because...he doesn't read or write well. In part because he is Bi-polar with ADHD.

His uncle Shelton couldn't read well either. He started Hartz Chicken franchise in the South, owned his own bakery where they supplied dinner rolls to Hartz and KFC and such, also owned some KFC's and Wendy's. Knew Dave Thomas and all that. Just a farm boy, who didn't read well, with good instincts.

David's father is also a business owner, only its a different kind of business. He owns investments, real estate. David grew up in motels and apartment complexes his father owned. Watched his Dad build office buildings and strip malls. He knows how it works.

I'm half-way through the E-Myth, and quite frankly, I had to apologize to David the other night for what it showed me.

I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO RUN A BUSINESS. Never claimed to. Was always adamantly repeating this fact. However, for some reason, David puts a lot of weight in my counsel. (Because I got good grades in school and college?? Maybe. Because I can write a good letter or read 3 books at once??) He also puts a great deal of weight in his father's counsel. For good cause, I think given the man's obvious success. But, still....

My apology was this. I did (and his father did this as well) without realizing it, pushed David with the wrong advice. David built a business that was well on its way to maturity. We could leave it and the employees could handle it a few days at a time. David could rest when he needed to and still have income. It needed some tweeking still and he still came on here with some outlandish happenings, but for the most part...

When things got a little chaotic and David wanted to expand...for which he needed capital...which is usually the only hold up, am I right? Everyone would have a fleet if they had the capital to sustain it. Anyway, the advice his Dad gave, and I backed up was to scale back and get simple again. And he did. And according to E-Myth that is a common reaction and usually the wrong reaction.

But, I didn't know. And his Dad wouldn't know that either, his expertise is in a different kind of business.

Uncle Shelton would have been a better guide, may he rest in peace.

David is a real good businessman. And he definitely owns a business better than he works for someone else. He would only be helping his children by running a business and being productive.

I hope he reads this. I told him some of it the other night, but having it here in front of him.

David already has the entrepreneurial drive, he knows how to get started and he knows how to grow. He knows how to train people to do the technical work. He needs to learn a little more about management and HIRE accounts and/or firms to handle, but to know enough to keep them in check.

Most of all HE NEEDS TO STOP ASKING ME FOR ADVICE. He needs to listen to his gut. It's usually right. My job should start after he hands me his "paycheck" so that I can make home a nice place for him to come to where the bills are paid and there's food to eat, and there's soap to wash with and the like.

I really did start to like helping David, but I was really not the right person for the job. All I know how to do is read.

He can do this. He can do a lot more than what people give him credit for.

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-19-2009, 09:50 AM
You're a good woman, Mrs. H.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-19-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm sorry but just because someone's dad was a business owner does not automatically mean they'll succeed as an entrepreneur. Growing up with a business owner has no affect on one unless they actually participate in the operating of the business, the business side of it, not the labor side. I'm with accu cut with this. Take a job where you get guaranteed income.

Eden's Own
10-19-2009, 11:34 AM
David, you are a blessed man with a great "help meet" behind you. Keep your eye on the prize and you will be fine. God Bless!

Mrs. H
10-19-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm sorry but just because someone's dad was a business owner does not automatically mean they'll succeed as an entrepreneur. Growing up with a business owner has no affect on one unless they actually participate in the operating of the business, the business side of it, not the labor side. I'm with accu cut with this. Take a job where you get guaranteed income.

Yes, but growing up with someone to teach these things to you DOES make a difference as opposed to growing up, as I did, surrounded by folks who do not know how to succeed.

Plus...David doesn't have his experience listed on his signature anymore. But he DOES have successfully 15 years of lawn care ownership experience behind him. He's not just jumping out of the woodwork here fellas. I thought he was crazy when he said he wanted to sell his business last year. But he came home one day with a buyer and one guy upset that he didn't know it was for sell and he would have given him more.

He's also participating in a sequence of seminars this winter to help fill in the blanks and start off strong next spring.

Mrs. H
10-19-2009, 12:00 PM
15 years of lawn care ownership experience

Sorry, mis-count. It is 14 years ownership and another 1-2 years employed with a golf course and Chem-Lawn. And I fixed his signature for him.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
10-19-2009, 02:15 PM
I was in no way saying that David wasn't intelligent. Actually, from my experience, most of the Bipolar people I have met have been VERY intelligent. My best friend is Bipolar and is in no way intellectually challenged. Emotionally though, I doubt he would or could have the wear with all to operate a business. I don't know David; but, do remember posts from the past where he was explaining issues that he had with customers and competition. In business, these things are almost a daily event... and we, as business owners must be impervious to them- or even driven by them- but definitely not so negetively affected by them. I also remember posts where his children and family were practically starving. I'm not trying to knock him at all. I just don't see how spending the capital for a new start up of a business will benefit his family. That money could be better spent elsewhere. Maybe your state has some type of vocational rehab program that could help him with some college classes or job skills training. Please take this in a good way. I'm not trying to flame on anybody.

Mrs. H
10-19-2009, 09:34 PM
1. No you didn't say he was not intelligent. You questioned his literacy.

2. Despite his experience and his CDL, he has not been able to find work with an employer for a few months. What he had over the summer were temporary labor. This is the longest I've ever seen him without work in the 11 years I've known him.

3. His family was running low on food about 4-5 months AFTER the sale of his previous lawncare business and before we could sell our house. Before that we had enough. He always brought in enough for a comfortable living.

4. He IS currently taking a small business development course. And he had looked into all of the certification opportunities through the community college.

5. As far as his posts/complaints/stresses: I take it all with a grain of salt. He thinks out loud and usually figures it out after bumping it off someone else. But, really weird things happen to him when he works for other people too. Dangerous, crazy things, and I'm glad he's still alive kind of stuff.

5. I am just so flippin' happy he's gotten out of bed and decided to do SOMETHING I really don't care what it is at this point. Even just planning and making decisions, whether he starts another business or not...

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-19-2009, 09:41 PM

5. As far as his posts/complaints/stresses: I take it all with a grain of salt. He thinks out loud and usually figures it out after bumping it off someone else

1. Judging by how he named this thread, startles me that with that grammar he wants to start a business?

5. An entrepreneur can't afford to figure out something after "bumping it off someone else," they must think of ways to solve a problem almost immediately.

Mrs. H
10-19-2009, 10:06 PM
An entrepreneur can't afford to figure out something after "bumping it off someone else," they must think of ways to solve a problem almost immediately.

Have YOU never used a "sounding board"?

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-19-2009, 10:12 PM
I have not, no need.

Mrs. H
10-19-2009, 10:39 PM
I have not, no need.

Not to be a smarty...but, why are you here?

I mean, most of us, myself included have posted at least one idea or question just to see what others think...

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-19-2009, 10:41 PM
You are just mad because I don't think the guy can handle running a business. Why am I hear? I posted what I thought. Go read it.

MarkintheGarden
10-19-2009, 11:51 PM
I have been following this thread and I am surprised that a couple of people have expressed the opinion that Dave should not consider starting a new lawn care business.
I do not know Dave, but I can read what he wrote. His heart is in it, and it gives him purpose. He has the counsel of his clergy, and the loving support of a good wife. I think that Dave will excel. I think that anyone, bipolar or otherwise, can learn from past mistakes, take measures to strengthen their weaknesses and renew the passion that it takes to succeed.

I do not think that a person needs literacy skills to succeed in this business.
The truth is, this forum is proof that literacy is not only not a requirement, but a rare trait within the industry.

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-19-2009, 11:58 PM
The truth is, this forum is proof that literacy is not only not a requirement, but a rare trait within the industry.

:laugh: I wasn't going to be the one to say it, but... :laugh:

MarkintheGarden
10-20-2009, 12:01 AM
I have not, no need.

The use of a double negative would receive a failing grade in a fifth grade class.
And you criticize other people's elocution and literacy?

Face it we are just a bunch of guys with trucks loaded with machines. A smile and a sense of humor will take you a lot further than command of the queen's English.

Read your own post script

MarkintheGarden
10-20-2009, 12:03 AM
You are just mad because I don't think the guy can handle running a business. Why am I hear? I posted what I thought. Go read it.

So why are you "HEAR"?

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-20-2009, 12:08 AM
When you create a business plan, do you not prepare a cover story and executive summary which must be grammatically correct or you can guarantee not getting a dime from any institution. And for a commercial bid, do you not create a cover story? (depending on what you are bidding on of course)

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Sh*t, you are right, I did make a couple grammatical errors, which is very rare. Hypocritical of me, but I was typing very fast and didn't catch it.

Hanau
10-20-2009, 12:16 AM
To succeed in this business you need some basic math skills. Figure square footage, cubic yardage, add, subtract, that kind of thing. The ability to read a calendar. The ability to create an invoice, Staples will do that for you for a nominal fee. That's just about it for "higher reasoning skills".

What we do isn't exactly rocket science. We grow things. Humans have done that for what? 15,000 years? I think we got it down. It's a fairly basic skill.

Honestly, I think a bi-polar person would be pretty damn good at this biz. The few I know are very literal. If the directions say apply XXX per XXX square feet they will damn sure do that. Where as I will get it close and call it a day.

Now where a bi-polar person may run into issues is people skills. That would depend on the type of bi-polar. As with any mental illness, there are different levels.

There's a carpenter I know quite well out near Endicott. He has Tourettes Syndrome. Now he can do amazing things with a hunk of wood and is very fast. What hurts him is other peoples ignorance. He made some shelving units in my shop that are stunning. While it was strange hearing a string of expletives while he worked to be totally truthful I could teach that boy a thing or two about cussing.

MarkintheGarden
10-20-2009, 12:16 AM
When you create a business plan, do you not prepare a cover story and executive summary which must be grammatically correct or you can guarantee not getting a dime from any institution. And for a commercial bid, do you not create a cover story? (depending on what you are bidding on of course)

All kinds of skills come into play, math, people skills, communication, organization, etc.

I suck at a lot of these things but that would be the case, and a problem at any occupation, so what's a guy to do? Like the wise man said: "Live life and enjoy it to the max. We only get one shot at this thing so why not drive it like hell til the wheels fall off?!?"

PS. there are two L letters in till.

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-20-2009, 02:35 AM
i dunno why you all fite over dum stuff. lawncare sure maks for sum serously grumpy peeple.

Beams and motes, my friends; beams and motes.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-20-2009, 03:04 AM
All kinds of skills come into play, math, people skills, communication, organization, etc.

I suck at a lot of these things but that would be the case, and a problem at any occupation, so what's a guy to do? Like the wise man said: "Live life and enjoy it to the max. We only get one shot at this thing so why not drive it like hell til the wheels fall off?!?"

PS. there are two L letters in till.

I actually just copied it from what a guy had told me on a different forum when I was talking to him about how I had started college this year. My mac is instant spell check in the browser, and til with 1 (L) is spelled correctly, so is it with 2 (L's). Agree to disagree, it is still a great quote.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-20-2009, 03:16 AM
i dunno why you all fite over dum stuff. lawncare sure maks for sum serously grumpy peeple.

Beams and motes, my friends; beams and motes.

Everyone's mad because it's getting colder, that's why I'm not happy, I love the heat.

MarkintheGarden
10-20-2009, 09:09 AM
I actually just copied it from what a guy had told me on a different forum when I was talking to him about how I had started college this year. My mac is instant spell check in the browser, and til with 1 (L) is spelled correctly, so is it with 2 (L's). Agree to disagree, it is still a great quote.

Well, that is my point, we are not too literate either.

And my other point is that this is a good quote, and if we apply it to Dave and his situation, how can we suggest anything other than he take his best shot and make the most of it.

MarkintheGarden
10-20-2009, 09:13 AM
Obviously, David hasn't seen this yet. I read it last week and decided to leave well enough alone. But, I have decided to cut it off before he DID take it the wrong way.

David IS smart. Throws people off, especially competitors. One of his rivals back in AL loved calling the state to report him when he first started, so David walked in and took the OTPC test, passed and the guy admitted he didn't realize David was that smart. Because...he doesn't read or write well. In part because he is Bi-polar with ADHD.

His uncle Shelton couldn't read well either. He started Hartz Chicken franchise in the South, owned his own bakery where they supplied dinner rolls to Hartz and KFC and such, also owned some KFC's and Wendy's. Knew Dave Thomas and all that. Just a farm boy, who didn't read well, with good instincts.

David's father is also a business owner, only its a different kind of business. He owns investments, real estate. David grew up in motels and apartment complexes his father owned. Watched his Dad build office buildings and strip malls. He knows how it works.

I'm half-way through the E-Myth, and quite frankly, I had to apologize to David the other night for what it showed me.

I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO RUN A BUSINESS. Never claimed to. Was always adamantly repeating this fact. However, for some reason, David puts a lot of weight in my counsel. (Because I got good grades in school and college?? Maybe. Because I can write a good letter or read 3 books at once??) He also puts a great deal of weight in his father's counsel. For good cause, I think given the man's obvious success. But, still....

My apology was this. I did (and his father did this as well) without realizing it, pushed David with the wrong advice. David built a business that was well on its way to maturity. We could leave it and the employees could handle it a few days at a time. David could rest when he needed to and still have income. It needed some tweeking still and he still came on here with some outlandish happenings, but for the most part...

When things got a little chaotic and David wanted to expand...for which he needed capital...which is usually the only hold up, am I right? Everyone would have a fleet if they had the capital to sustain it. Anyway, the advice his Dad gave, and I backed up was to scale back and get simple again. And he did. And according to E-Myth that is a common reaction and usually the wrong reaction.

But, I didn't know. And his Dad wouldn't know that either, his expertise is in a different kind of business.

Uncle Shelton would have been a better guide, may he rest in peace.

David is a real good businessman. And he definitely owns a business better than he works for someone else. He would only be helping his children by running a business and being productive.

I hope he reads this. I told him some of it the other night, but having it here in front of him.

David already has the entrepreneurial drive, he knows how to get started and he knows how to grow. He knows how to train people to do the technical work. He needs to learn a little more about management and HIRE accounts and/or firms to handle, but to know enough to keep them in check.

Most of all HE NEEDS TO STOP ASKING ME FOR ADVICE. He needs to listen to his gut. It's usually right. My job should start after he hands me his "paycheck" so that I can make home a nice place for him to come to where the bills are paid and there's food to eat, and there's soap to wash with and the like.

I really did start to like helping David, but I was really not the right person for the job. All I know how to do is read.

He can do this. He can do a lot more than what people give him credit for.

Mrs. H, you are one fine person! Do you have a sister that you could introduce me to?

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Everyone's mad because it's getting colder, that's why I'm not happy, I love the heat.

Nobody likes seeing the cash flow get chopped down. :cry:

Do you have a sister that you could introduce me to?

In Mrs. H's church, every female is called Sister so-and-so. So, she might know a few thousand. :laugh:

Mrs. H
10-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Mrs. H, you are one fine person! Do you have a sister that you could introduce me to?

My sis is younger, prettier and already taken by a very handsome cattle farmer! :)

Mrs. H
10-20-2009, 10:26 AM

No, you misread me. I'm not even close to mad. I was actually giggling when I asked you why you were here. I'm actually quite sarcastic in real life.

Spelling and grammer are mute points...I'm dislexic and failed nearly every spelling test in Junior High. And I all but failed typing (back when we had to use typewriters). But, doggone, I've got spell check now.

David figures square footage in his head on the job site, scratches it on a ripped envelop or food wrapper and then hands me a pile of trash at the end of the day and says "These measurements need to go in the program." This next time around I really hope he can figure out how to actually run the program himself or hire someone who is not me.

Computers are awsome. Sure does beat using handwritten ledger books. And just about anyone can sit down and learn it.

Mrs. H
10-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Honestly, I think a bi-polar person would be pretty damn good at this biz. The few I know are very literal. If the directions say apply XXX per XXX square feet they will damn sure do that. Where as I will get it close and call it a day.

Especially if one of thier cross over symptoms is, say, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Customer love predictibility in the product or service they are buying and if they see thier lawn being done a certain way on a certain day without much variation AND see problems being solved compleatly and not just shrugged off...AND if the person is Hyperactive and can work as fast as three employees...well, that's a good combination.

The actual up/down problem is solved when the employees are trained well enough to follow the routine and do as David would do. Many times David could print the schedual, hand it to his main guy and say "I can't go right now, I'll catch up to you later." He'd have a chance to straighten his head, the customers see the crew doing it David's way, he'd check on them later to make sure and ta' da.

Now where a bi-polar person may run into issues is people skills. That would depend on the type of bi-polar. As with any mental illness, there are different levels.

No joke there.

Usually with large commercial or Industrial accounts it doesn't matter one way or another. But with little old ladies he tries to be up front. They are dealt with one on one nearly every time he would show. They like to pay right there and ask for special attention to their shrubs or something. With that much personal contact, David knows they would notice and he wants them to know so they don't get scared and think he's on drugs or something. Most everyone underderstand.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Nobody likes seeing the cash flow get chopped down. :cry:

Unless the day you're done with clean ups, it snows a foot multiple times a week all summer and you plow snow, consider that cash flow skyrocketing :D

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Unless the day you're done with clean ups, it snows a foot multiple times a week all summer and you plow snow, consider that cash flow skyrocketing :D

Hmmm... sounds like a bad case of burnout in the works...

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Not if you buy a beater old duramax to plow with and have your guys do it some of the time so you don't get burned out :D

punt66
10-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Ok this has been an interesting thread. My first reaction to this was NO WAY. David should not be running a business based on what i have seen only on this site. But to hell with what I or anybody else thinks! Go for it David! Prove us all wrong! You have a great wife and a new start. Get out there and kick some a$#!

Accu-cut Lawn Care
10-21-2009, 06:47 PM

2. Despite his experience and his CDL, he has not been able to find work with an employer for a few months. What he had over the summer were temporary labor. This is the longest I've ever seen him without work in the 11 years I've known him.

3. His family was running low on food about 4-5 months AFTER the sale of his previous lawncare business and before we could sell our house. Before that we had enough. He always brought in enough for a comfortable living.

4. He IS currently taking a small business development course. And he had looked into all of the certification opportunities through the community college.

5. As far as his posts/complaints/stresses: I take it all with a grain of salt. He thinks out loud and usually figures it out after bumping it off someone else. But, really weird things happen to him when he works for other people too. Dangerous, crazy things, and I'm glad he's still alive kind of stuff.

5. I am just so flippin' happy he's gotten out of bed and decided to do SOMETHING I really don't care what it is at this point. Even just planning and making decisions, whether he starts another business or not...

His literacy is what I questioned... or more so his lack of literacy is what I pointed out.