PDA

View Full Version : Pine needles

MnGreen
10-02-2009, 10:09 PM
What affect if any would "pine needles" have on a 50yd stretch of evergreen trees if the needles were blown under them ?
Customer wants me to blow 6 pine trees worth under a fence line of 15 evergreens within about 30 feet of the pine trees.

I blew about 5 minutes worth under the evergreens to see how it would hold the large amount of needles.
Looked like a 18" mulch bed of pine needles under the evergreen tree which are larger trees, 14'.

Be easy to do the clean up this way, but do not want to bring harm to the evergreen trees.

johnnybravo8802
10-02-2009, 11:13 PM
What affect if any would "pine needles" have on a 50yd stretch of evergreen trees if the needles were blown under them ?
Customer wants me to blow 6 pine trees worth under a fence line of 15 evergreens within about 30 feet of the pine trees.

I blew about 5 minutes worth under the evergreens to see how it would hold the large amount of needles.
Looked like a 18" mulch bed of pine needles under the evergreen tree which are larger trees, 14'.

Be easy to do the clean up this way, but do not want to bring harm to the evergreen trees.
It won't harm them. I see pine islands 1.5 ft. thick around trees her in Ga. It acts as an insulator to the roots. However, from a personal standpoint, I wouldn't have it that thick-2-3" at the most.

MnGreen
10-02-2009, 11:24 PM
There is 3" on the ground right now with 50% still in the trees.
Do they decay over the winter or spring ?
There will be a solid 18" under this 50 yd tree line of evergreens.

Said he paid $500 last year for a bobcat and dump trailer to remove (2) - 6' tall X 20' wide mountains of them.
4-guys 4-blowers 1.5 hrs.
Wants them blown under the trees now. (lol)

johnnybravo8802
10-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Yes, pine needles will break down over the year-that's why we have to install it twice a year. Different conditions dictate how fast the needles break down-size of needle, rain, wind, traffic, sunlight, etc. However, by the sounds of your conditions, the needles will break down a lot slower. The needles will eventually compact down and not be as thick. Worst case scenario, the retained moisture can cause root rot but I think this may be a long shot. I wouldn't be too concerned.