PDA

View Full Version : 48" Bobcat WB issues

fiveohpoepoe
10-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Just picked up a 48" WB for a pretty good deal. Its a 98-99 model with a 14hp Kawasaki. I used it today and found going up a slight grade/hill, it slows down and eventually stops. I can push it with medium force and make it to the top. I held each side and they seem to pull ok. Im thinking maybe the pulleys/belts might be the problem?:confused: I really need some good insight here. This mower will have to last me a few years.

Also, there are no extra "spacers" to raise the deck in the front[its on the lowest setting] Is there anything I can use/make with limited tools, instead of buying them at a dealer?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Restrorob
10-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Check the condition of the trans drive belt under the engine, Replace/adjust as needed.

As for the deck, I'm not sure what's needed....

pugs
10-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Why would you not want to just get the spacers from a dealer?

STIHL GUY
10-03-2009, 11:42 PM
i had that same problem on my WB and after replacing the transmission belt it works great

fiveohpoepoe
10-04-2009, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the replies. As far as why not get them from a dealer...really dont have a good answer except try to save money. Probably the easiest way.

Again, thanks for the replies. That will be the first thing I try

pugs
10-04-2009, 02:49 AM
Thanks for the replies. As far as why not get them from a dealer...really dont have a good answer except try to save money. Probably the easiest way.

Again, thanks for the replies. That will be the first thing I try

Saving money on parts that probably cost a dollar....wow...

Breezmister
10-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Also, there are no extra "spacers" to raise the deck in the front[its on the lowest setting] Is there anything I can use/make with limited tools, instead of buying them at a dealer?

Your cost on the yoke spacers, depending on if you need 3/4 or the 1 inch, is between $2 and $4 bucks each......Now if you have a Western plow laying around, you could use the 1 inch washers to the skids or get some 3/4 inch washers, or some pipe and cut it down.

I don't remember how many blade spacers Bobcat uses, you can adjust the blades from there as well. leave one spacer on the bottom between the blades and the spindle housing.

fiveohpoepoe
10-04-2009, 10:33 PM
I did not check the spacers under the deck but your post reminds me to, so thank you. I did not get any striping on the first use and I know from my past Bobcats something is off. I did find out the spacers from my local dealer are between $3-$4 each.

I plan on doing all the belts just to be on the safe side. Thank you for the info

Tharrell
10-09-2009, 01:17 PM
You are dealing with Forsythe Mower Works right? I recommend them for parts and service. I drive from Mount Airy to use them even though there's a dealer 5 miles away from me. Tony

fiveohpoepoe
10-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Yeah, Cory.

Tharrell
10-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Did you ever figure out why it didn't want to climb a hill? If not, make sure everything is good. With a gear drive there's a ton of stuff that could be wrong. Belts, pulleys, etc...
I have several gear drives but don't use them much anymore. It seems to me, the drive belt from the engine would be the first place to look, then the wheel belts and pulleys. My little Bob-Cat 32 has a single belt/pulley and they would get dented when jumping a curb and they would spread apart letting the belt slip. If you have one of the Classic models, you have a single belt/pulley also. But you said it was a '98 or '99 though. Also make sure the wheel idlers are aligned good or you'll be slipping the belt off when backing down a trailer ramp.
Here's my best advice though, get a hydro asap. Tony

fiveohpoepoe
10-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Im going to replace all of the belts next week. Had a good friend come out and really looked it over. Everything else looks good so I am hoping that fixes the issues. Also, the spacers are there, just stacked all together so I,m going to move some around