PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a renovation job

Dunko
10-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Hi guys -I am in Indiana and just got a call from the new owners to work on a yard that was a repo. I share that with you guys because as I walked the yard today I noticed that the builder had used that "mat-like" turf seed product. (It looks like there is string buried all over the yard) There is ground cover but it is mostly weeds and crabgrass. I am not sure what to do. I think the yard had a good start but when the builder went bankrupt the watering stopped and the weeds and crabgrass took over. This late in the year do I try to plug then slice (I am a little worried about all that string) or do I just rent a bobcat with a soil conditioner and start all over?
Thanks your help

Hanau
10-02-2009, 10:39 PM
I looked at a reno job similar to what you're describing this morning. This late in the year I told him to call me in the spring.

Basically I'm going to tear out and start over. Good soil, a few tons of manure, then hydroseed.

What's your altitude? We're sitting at 3,000 feet and getting ready for leaves and snow. Are you still able to do lawn work?

Dunko
10-02-2009, 11:12 PM
We are about 800ft her in the circle city. A few more weeks of mowing then it is time for leaf removal

Hanau
10-02-2009, 11:19 PM
800 feet, hows the air down there? :laugh:

If you think you have enough time to establish a lawn before it goes dormant then give er hell. Kinda doubt you do though, personally I prefer to give a lawn at least 3 months to fully establish and thrive. That would put you into January.

Work up a quote, sign a contract, and as soon as the weather brightens up next year get er done. Get a small deposit, $100 or so, HO's are less likely to cancel if they've already spent some money with you.

For us lawnwork is pretty much: