PDA

View Full Version : Bow Hunting

OrangeToys
10-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Im new to hunting and I want to get a bow. What should I look for when getting one?

Foz
10-03-2009, 08:11 AM
Your best bet is to go somewhere that has an archery range where you can test a couple different models. I think Dicks's may have?? I prefer Hoyt, but there are many manufacturers. Find something comfortable to shoot, the right weight for your size. Practice, Practice, Practice...........

JABBERS
10-03-2009, 08:21 AM
If you go to huntersfriend.com they have alot of technical info for you just browse around their web site.

Junior M
10-03-2009, 10:40 AM
40+ pounds of draw is important for deer..

Just go shoot a couple bows and figure out what you like and how you want to out fit it...

OrangeToys
10-03-2009, 12:10 PM
I don't even know what you put on a bow to make it good.

Junior M
10-03-2009, 12:14 PM
I don't even know what you put on a bow to make it good.
I didnt either, just got the essentials, a peep sight, arrow rest, things like that.. Once I started shooting it, I've figured out what I needed to make it better, silencers, whisker biscuit..

I'd be no where with my bow if it wasnt for my awesome Archery shop.. He set everything up(the rest cause we screwed it up:laugh:, along with the peep sight and release) and had my bow perfect for me within 4 shots.. Just gotta find a store that sells bows that you like and deal with one guy, he'll get you set up and going..

retrodog
10-03-2009, 12:42 PM
I just got an Iceman Diamond Bowtech with the Octane Package (pretty much everything you need). It is by far the best bow I have ever shot, got my first coyote with it this morning. Little pricey, but this way its the last bow you will ever buy. Just make sure you can pull it comfortably.

Grandview
10-04-2009, 08:26 AM
My advice go to a bow shop that can fit you to a bow and teach you to shoot.
I bow hunted on and off the past 20 years with used bows. I could never shoot consistent. My friend said I was probably torking the bow, turning it while releasing. I went to a bow shop this spring. The owner was a great instructor and gives two lessons after you purchase the bow, in addition to instruction at purchase time. Now a 30 yard shot is almost a gimme. 50% in the kill zone at 45 yards. I bought a Missions Eliminator. Matthews makes Missions. It is their Oldsmobile line. The Eliminator had two things I wanted, 70% let off and single cam. Single cam bows are easier to tune and stay tuned better.

Grandview
10-04-2009, 10:02 AM
One other requirement for a good bow, solid back wall. When you are at full draw it can not go any further. This ensures the same draw length every time.