PDA

View Full Version : Toro Diesel new problem

matt2000ar
10-03-2009, 05:55 AM
just got a new Toro Zmarter new for a dealer out of state dew to no on had one around here in Arkansas. i got it back here an was mowing with it on dads flat front yard and it died on me when i turned. well i thought it was out of diesel. so i filled it it up and ran fine. but when i start mowing on so hills side it started dieing all the time i would get about 8 to 10' and it would shut the mower down. would restart no problem but when i took off the brake it would die again. i would have to pull it to a flat spot to get it to run again. call dear they said it sound like water in the fuel. change diesel and fuel filter. an after doing that it still die on hill side and going down hills and backing up. some time dies when tying to go up ramp on trail. an i know that is not to steep for it. ( An on have any idea's what it could be?) it only has 27.5 hrs on it..) 23Hp kubota diesel 60 2006 it was still in box when got it. they assembled it the day before.

evont22
10-03-2009, 07:19 AM
This may or may not be it but I have rented sod cutters in the past that when they got on much of a slope and the oil ran to one side of the oil pan the low oil sensor wouldnt read and as a safety it would shut down the motor. Sounds like it could be something along those lines since it runs fine on flat ground.... just not on hillsides. Hope that helps.

ALC-GregH
10-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Take it back to the dealer.

Horizon Lawn
10-03-2009, 10:47 AM
try your seat safety switch and see if that might be the problem. and as far as i know my diesel doesnt have the low oil safety that would shut it down if oil is low. I would jump safety over and try that first especially if it has the suspension seat.

Mowingman
10-03-2009, 01:48 PM
I am guessing the seat safety switch is set way too sensitive. As your weight shifts, it lets switch kill machine. Bypass the seat switch for a few minutes, and see if that fixes the problem.

matt2000ar
10-04-2009, 01:09 AM
well the diesel engine runs fine on the hill. i can let the mower sit an run on the hill and it run fine at full power. but it has something to do with the parking brake or the seat. but i could be wrong. Also said i live in AR the only 2 places i can take to get worked on is Dallas, TX or Nashville, Tn where i pick up the mower. the 3 toro dealer here said they cant work on the diesel dew to they are not certified to work on it. i also was going to try and take it by one of the golf course and talk to one of the people that work on the reel mowers.

ricky86
10-04-2009, 02:11 PM
First, those dealers are FOS. There was a service bulletin awhile back about over-sensitive seat switches. The time delay module does not function normally with a Kubota engine so any interruption and the shut off solenoid activates shutting down the engine. From the sound of it, your on you own. Test run to duplicate the problem, then lift the seat and put a jumper (for test only) in the harness between the seat switch wires. Test again. Be aware that the interlock has been disabled and you will be able to get off the seat while the mower is engaged. Post you results.

matt2000ar
10-06-2009, 02:16 AM
will try this today. i have to mow with it, in wet area's today.

matt2000ar
10-06-2009, 02:22 AM
was also thinking about try my Exmark seat switch on it an see if it does it again or if it does not then ill change it out and put a new on in it. i thaught about here a few mins i had the same problem with my Navigator it wouldnt let me take off the brake or the power shifter, as soon as i did it shut the engine down. i have had to replaces the 3 or 4 times, tell i learn about what Gravely put over them to keep out water and moister, a rubber boot cover them.

ricky86
10-06-2009, 02:56 AM
Moisture is not the problem. It's just an adjustment. You start switching parts, you may make matters worse. All switches aren't the same. Some are n/o and some are n/c. You want to see the bulletin?

matt2000ar
09-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Still working on the problem after a year. have it down to 2 parts that could be causing the mower to shut down the (Fuel pump or the SOLENOID STOP ASM) on the engine. Because now it starting to shut down and not restart tell it sets there a few mins. I think i am going to take it back to SLE in nashivillie, TN next week. (SLE is SOuther Lawn Equipment)

Then i have been reading that other people been have problems with them over heating while running too. only have a 163.6 hours on it now. Replaced the (Module Delay, Seat) thaught that may have been the problem after talking to a my toro dealer. but that didnt fix it.

Just last week while running it died an had to get my Exmark Navigator to drag my z master back up the hill to the trailer before i could get it to start.

integrityman
09-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Im guessing you have already done this, but have you changed the fuel filters? They do have to be changed every 100 hours..... if they get clogged, and the mower sits for a few minutes, enough diesel will get through to allow it to run for a while.

matt2000ar
09-19-2010, 09:53 PM
did that 10 hours after call SLE they said the same thing.

bob
09-19-2010, 10:01 PM
My new Grasshopper gas Kubota did the same thing. Cut 20 feet on a slope & it died like it ran out of fuel. Get it to level ground and it would cut all day. It was the wiring to the fuel pump. It was installed real tight. Here's my link http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=316156

matt2000ar
09-25-2010, 10:39 PM
that sounds just like what is going on with my mower. it will go about half or all the way but as soon as you start your turn on the hill to go back it dies. but i been watching it now it now only dies when the fuel pump is on the left hand side of the slop. The fuel pump from toro is $177.72. i am going to check to see how much it will cost from my Kubota dealer.