PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Guys Coming Together

ZKSLAWN
10-03-2009, 02:31 PM
My buddy told me of a plan that him and his co worker have been thinking about.. ok heres the story.. I have 2 buddies that work together have about 30 accounts and a fair amount of equipment and experience.. than another buddy who's been out of the business for a couple years but wants back in and knows a lot of people.. than there's me who only has about 10 accounts not much equipment but i help the first two guys out everytime they need it. The last guy is about 40 who's been doing it for a while with some nice equipment with good experience..

His plan is to get the four of us first and maybe the 5th guy (the older one) and put us all together in one big company. and join all our stuff together branch out of our town and get more commercial jobs as well.. i told him we should start with some small landscape work too and than build on that and the hardscapes but we only talked for about 10 minutes yesterday... Were planning on during christmas break sitting us all down and talking intently about it..

Do you think this would work??

Toy2
10-03-2009, 03:47 PM
My buddy told me of a plan that him and his co worker have been thinking about.. ok heres the story.. I have 2 buddies that work together have about 30 accounts and a fair amount of equipment and experience.. than another buddy who's been out of the business for a couple years but wants back in and knows a lot of people.. than there's me who only has about 10 accounts not much equipment but i help the first two guys out everytime they need it. The last guy is about 40 who's been doing it for a while with some nice equipment with good experience..

His plan is to get the four of us first and maybe the 5th guy (the older one) and put us all together in one big company. and join all our stuff together branch out of our town and get more commercial jobs as well.. i told him we should start with some small landscape work too and than build on that and the hardscapes but we only talked for about 10 minutes yesterday... Were planning on during christmas break sitting us all down and talking intently about it..

Do you think this would work??Nope, someone will end up getting pissed because he feels he is doing/suppling more to the company.......that's just the way it goes........you would have to write up sometype of legal paperwork saying what each one will get in case it goes south.......that's just my O2.....:usflag:

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Sounds like an implosion waiting to happen.

razor1
10-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Don't do it!!!! I've read some horror stories on here about bad partners and most of them seem to turn out that way. Do a search on partners etc.

JB1
10-03-2009, 04:15 PM
sounds like a late nite poker game and a lot of beer was involved.

Hanau
10-03-2009, 04:21 PM
That type of arragement can only end badly.

SangerLawn
10-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Im sorry but I have to laugh over this one…yep I can see it now. The guy that has the most accounts is gonna be pissed because he is giving away his money. the guy with all the equipment and knowledge isn’t gonna do any work simply because he owns everything. The ones with no to little accounts will be stuck doing all the work…..yep…I for see a lot of people getting screwed and fighting…this business will surely last during the winter months but fall apart and ruin any further chance of success by spring time (mowing season start)

ZKSLAWN
10-03-2009, 09:07 PM
well the two that are together now have the most accounts other than the older guy.. and they have the most equipment. and this was their idea.. we havn't planned anything but we would have someone else manage the money and decide who gets what job and this person would not be one of us.. so that everything is split equally. The paper idea is a good one some kind of contract within us..

foreplease
10-03-2009, 10:26 PM
The "old" guy is 40, right? I'm betting he comes out ahead :)

NEWGUYRI
10-03-2009, 11:02 PM
well the two that are together now have the most accounts other than the older guy.. and they have the most equipment. and this was their idea.. we havn't planned anything but we would have someone else manage the money and decide who gets what job and this person would not be one of us.. so that everything is split equally. The paper idea is a good one some kind of contract within us..

It just doesn't work that way. You NEED to have a written contract specifically stating EVERYTHING including specific jobs, equity, etc. If you don't YOU WILL get SCREWED over. Sorry to be harsh but i'm just trying to keep you from being killed.

Infinity Landscapes, Inc
10-03-2009, 11:26 PM
"Multiple Guys Coming Together" :laugh:I new somthing was wrong when I read the first four words. It will never work the way you think it will.

STIHL GUY
10-03-2009, 11:34 PM
doesnt seem like it wold end up good

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Sounds like a dream of a bunch of 12 yr old lawn jockeys with a 'old guy' that's probably 16 so he can drive. Failure. You want success? Start your own LLC.

tinman
10-05-2009, 07:09 PM
I don't like negative comments on lawnsite so I hesitate to even answer negatively:() . I cannot find anything positive about this idea. 2 partners rarely work out much less 4 -5 . More money sounds good until you start dividing it! Good luck tough.

HOOLIE
10-06-2009, 12:20 PM
So to summarize...you got 5 guys with a COMBINED 40 or so accounts. As Simon Cowell would say, not to be rude, but sounds like each of you is hoping one of the others knows what the hell they are doing.

You would need either a boatload of cash for adverstising, or be willing to use your truck as your residence for the foreseeable future with that arrangement. Run screaming from this as fast as you can.

Stillwater
10-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Do you think this would work??

No..............

tmf lawn care
10-06-2009, 02:15 PM
It a bad thing. It happen to me once. It cost me like 35k in work and cash.

Stillwater
10-06-2009, 02:23 PM
I don't like negative comments on lawnsite so I hesitate to even answer negatively:() . I cannot find anything positive about this idea. 2 partners rarely work out much less 4 -5 . More money sounds good until you start dividing it! Good luck tough.

Very diplomatic, I wish more guys on lawnsite had your attitude myself included.

ZKSLAWN
10-06-2009, 02:44 PM
It a bad thing. It happen to me once. It cost me like 35k in work and cash.

Can you elaborate some more on this situation? I would like to know what happened if you don't mind.

mowerdude777
10-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Sounds like an implosion waiting to happen.

agreed don't do it

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Hell, I say let em do it and fail.

RLS24
10-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Yeah I had a "partner" for like a month, then I realized I was putting all the money into it, doing most of the work, buying all the equipment and gas, and pretty much getting free labor for work I could really do by myself in exchange for a few mowing accounts.....that lasted like a month and I said screw it. Been a lot better off on my own.

To the original post, no offense buddy, but it seems like you're looking for an easy way to make money overnight. You don't have the equipment and don't have the accounts. you ride this train for a year (if that), and then if it dissolves, you still have no equipment and no accounts. Better off just building your business, put most of what you make back into it, for equipment and advertising, and in the end you'll end up with more money, own all of your own stuff, and you'll be in control of the business and not fighting with 4 other guys about every decision.

tmf lawn care
10-06-2009, 06:04 PM
i was with a friend. we own the bizz together i was the one with the cash to start it up. so we did it work out for like a yr then. I found out he was take money for work that we did not do or get. they came look for him to get the Cash back but. thay found me the true owner of the comp. so the try to sue me. but the could't. i told them it was my bizz partner that did it. in the end i Had's to pay them back for it.

ZKSLAWN
10-06-2009, 06:34 PM
ok so from what i heard on this site and talking to people im sticking with building my business alone. settled

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Good plan.

ZKSLAWN
10-06-2009, 06:45 PM
ok now i need help i wanna get more organized anyone have any forms for the accounting employees transactions all that

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Quickbooks, basically can handle all that of which you asked.

ZKSLAWN
10-06-2009, 07:37 PM
sounds good to me.. thanks guys

tmf lawn care
10-07-2009, 05:32 PM
you are welcome *trucewhiteflag*

TerraManusContracting
10-09-2009, 09:04 AM
It's often tempting to circumvent the trials and frustrations of competitive capitalism by just merging everyone together ("Hell, can't beat em, join em!") but that competition is what makes your business succeed, it keeps you on your toes.

"Competition is the cutting edge of business, always shaving away at costs." -Henry Ford