PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying someone out. preferred vets only please.

SangerLawn
10-04-2009, 08:54 AM
I have been tumbling the idea of buying someone out in my head. I found a business that I am looking at. All of the equipment is worth more then he is asking. In all reality he should be asking ALOT more. The thing that is throwing me off is he only has 14 customers. He does this work part time. Here is what he has.

2007 exmark 60 inch lazer = 360 hours (only had 1 oil change in its life…worries me)
2008 exmark 36 inch wb = 30 hours
2 redmax trimmer
1 redmax blower
1 redmax hedge trimmer
2004 dodge 4x4 quadcab truck = 65,000 miles
2005 enclosed 17 foot trailer = no damage and everything works
Few small odds and ends

In all reality I would mainly be buying it for the truck (snow plowing) and customers but like I said the price is unbelievable. The amount of customers he has would more then pay the payments but season is about to end and there is no guarantee the customers would come back next year. Most of the equipment would sit around because I already have more then enough however I would have what I need to run a 3rd crew if I got the work.

What are you thoughts?

TheC-Master
10-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Well what is the price? Sometimes people have to consider *why* he is leaving the biz. It is usually because he wasn't too successful and they didn't want him. I wouldn't do it based on the customers because they aren't guaranteed nor do they have to stay with you. But if the price is good on the equipment alone, then go for it if it looks fine.

ALC-GregH
10-05-2009, 10:31 AM
I looked at your pics on the link. I think your bed edges look really bad. The mulch is just laying right into the grass with nothing to retain it in the beds. The lawns look very nice which in turn makes the bed edges look bad.

Craig3
11-12-2009, 11:38 AM
maybe go w/ him the the 14 customers houses. Have him introduce you and see if you can get each one to commit to going with you. Maybe adjust your offering price according to how many of the accounts you get.

And make him sign a non-compete agreement. Otherwise he could be simply downsizing and re-claim his yards