PDA

View Full Version : USED CONCRETE PAVING PRODUCTS.....

FIREMAN
06-17-2000, 08:37 AM
I HAVE HEARD ABOUT A PLACE IN THE N.J. TIR-STATE AREA THAT SELLS USED PAVERS AND SUCH.....I'M CONSIDERING DOING A PAVER WALK AND PICNIC AREA FOR A LOCAL CHARITY, I FIGURE EXPOSURE AND FREE ADVERTISING FROM THEM IS WORTH THE LABOR BUT...IF I CAN GET MATERIALS CHEAP I'D BE EVEN HAPPIER. SO THE QUESTION IS..DOES ANYONE KNOW OF THIS PLACE?

Lanelle
06-17-2000, 09:52 AM
Since labor is the major part of laying pavers, it makes sense to use a paving product that has a warranty or that you are confident will hold up to the use it will get. These used pavers may be lovely, antique-looking, perfectly usable material or they could be somebody else's cast-off problem. Don't know how many of these projects you have done. You might want to use the search feature here to gain pointers on this type of install.<p>----------<br>Lanelle<br>

FIREMAN
06-17-2000, 06:52 PM
Lannelle,<br>If this project sees 4 hours of foot traffic a week it will be a lot, all it will see is foot traffic and i've never seen the products..just looking for the least expensive way to do a quality job.....if they were paying i'd never consider used prducts....

Stonehenge
06-19-2000, 07:43 PM
I don't think this is the advice you were looking for, but mine to you is to be wary of the donated projects in exchange for exposure. I've done a couple, and the exposure I got (and it sounds like it may be true for you, too) was in an area where nobody could afford to pay for what I was doing. The foot traffic I got was without value, not to mention I was getting constant callbacks for a few weeks (we put in engraved brick - they kept adding names and wanting us to go back out and put more engraved brick in). I barely got a thank you, and never even got a lead, let alone a job. For 2 other charities I offered my services for a silent auction - both nightmares. <br>Something happens to people when they know you are giving your services free of charge. <br>My advice is to spend that time performing some other marketing effort - put together a free seminar, and send press releases to the papers and TV (I did it and have gotten one TV spot and two big articles out of it).<p>I know this wasn't what you asked for, but after I'd done those projects, I promised myself 'never again'. I'm just trying to save you the trouble, too.

FIREMAN
06-19-2000, 11:31 PM
Stonehenge,<br> I appreciate the advice, however...my parents are invloved in this organization. They were the ones who volunteered me for this project..so i'm kinda stuck. Can't back out. As far as the area, it is a small town surrounded by other small towns some are affluent others average..i'm just hoping for the best.

paul
06-20-2000, 02:22 AM
Are you going to save that much on the install by using old pavers? cost for new is not the largest part of job. <p>----------<br>paul<br>

Stonehenge
06-20-2000, 09:41 AM
If you're stuck doing it, then I guess I'd try to make the best of it - see if you can't work a PR angle, send press releases about your giving back to the community, etc. Unless the charity is already going to have good media coverage. If so, then make yourself the main attraction. Hold a quickie seminar that coincides with the times the media will be there, make lots of noise, stuff like that.<p>As for the brick, I would think a simple (new) Hollandstone wouldn't be that much more expensive than used, and if you are going to get really good exposure, then I wouldn't risk a bad impression by using old brick. If you think the exposure will really be fantastic, buy the best brick you can (that fits aesthetically with the project).

FIREMAN
06-20-2000, 10:18 PM
SINCE MY GUT TELLS ME YOU ARE ALL RIGHT AND SINCE I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND DECENT USED PAVERS I GUESS I'LL BE BUYING NEW. I DO TRULY APPRECIATE THE ADVICE FROM ALL AND IF ANYBODY NEEDS ABOUT 16,000 SQ. FT. OF THE UGLIEST COLORED 10 SIDED PAVERS IN THE WORLD PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DROP ME A LINE..THEY ARE CHEAP ...BUT WAY TOO UGLY FOR THIS APPLICATION...OR ANY OTHER FOR THAT MATTER. THIS GUY DEMOED A DRIVEWAY AND WANTS 25 CENTS A SQ. FT....CHEAP BUT BRUTALLY UGLY. SO ONE MORE QUESTION FOR YOU PAVER GURUS..I NORMALLY USE GRINNELL PAVERS AND HAVE NEVER HAD TROUBLE, HOWEVER MY SUPPLIER IS SWITCHING BRANDS HAS ANYBODY EVER USED UNI-LOCK PRODUCTS..I HAVEN'T HEARD MUCH EITHER WAY ABOUT THEM .ANY COMMENTS WILL BE APPRECIATED.

EDL
06-20-2000, 10:31 PM
We use uni lock, the company is very helpful. We went to a uni lock seminar over the winter, they really want to help you, the had a deal to buy compactors, and saws, at cost, plus a $250 gift certificate after you buy from them a few times, cashed that in on my last job.

Stonehenge
06-22-2000, 06:59 PM
Unilock is one of the (if not THE) biggest concrete paver mfg in the midwest. They always offered nifty products, but in the last few years have really (in my opinion) stepped ahead of the pack with some of the wonderful products they make. The quality is very good, the sizing is always uniform, and they offer some great colors.<p>But I've never heard of Grinnell, so I don't think I can make a comparison. I will say I'd put Unilock up against any other midwest paver mfg whose products I've used.<p>Hope that helps.

steveair
06-22-2000, 10:35 PM
Hey fireman,<p>I'm up in North Jersey, and also use grinnel pavers. (the factory is about 6 miles from my house, can pick them up direct) I think since they started selling to home depot, their quality has greatly gone down. I heard a rumor that something like 85% of their production now goes directly to home depot. I guess they don't care about quality anymore, typical home depot situation.<p>My supplier (Can't order directly from factory yet) even said that grinnel quality has gone down signifigantly. He said he himself, has had over 200 pallets of pavers/wall stone returned due to inperfections. When they sell to home depot, quality doesn't matter at all, so I think this is the way of the future for grinnell now. <p>In fact, I'm doing a wall and have had up to a good 1/4 to 1/2 inch difference in thickness of the diamond block. Makes having level steps a real problem, and even worse when putting cap on. <p>I'm not very familiar with uni-lock persay. I've used them a few times, and had no complaints per say. <p>I also use a product from Concret Stone and Tile (CST). again, the factory is 5 miles from my house, so I can pick up directly. They produce the same basic line of pavers as grinnel does, but sell versa-lock wall stone instead of the anchor type diamond block. <p>Like to talk some more about where you get your supplies from. <p>steve<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: steveair

Chris
06-25-2000, 08:53 PM
E.P. Henry also makes a consistently good paver product; quite similiar to Unilock