PDA

View Full Version : My Stihl BR600

MOW ED
10-05-2009, 08:19 AM
I love the thing but it is now giving us fits. For the last couple weeks I am finding that it will run strong but then miss a time or 2. I know all the issues with the floating fuel filter and I find the miss with a full tank also. Within the last few weeks it will run for a minute and then stop like I pushed the kill switch. Then it becomes a bear to start if at all for a while. I even replaced the $9.00 spark plug thinking it was bad. I cleaned the fuel filter which wasn't terrible either.
I have it at the dealer now and after 2 days they called and said that they can't find anything wrong with it. He said they fire it up, blow the lot and it runs great. I am giving them a couple more days with it but I can see a 50.00 shop charge for nothing in my future and I know someting is not right with it.

Anyone have any hints for me? Its 2 years old and probably has 100 hours on it. It has not had a valve adjustment. When it runs it is strong but the intermittent missing is troubling as well as the dead stopping. I have racked my brain and am leaning to an electrical issue but I don't know where to start.

Two Seasons
10-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Do the valve job. Either you or dealer as you'll notice the difference right away.

0.015 clearance IIRC. Basically a business card width.

ricky86
10-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Tell him to replace the ignition module. It has a extended warranty on it. If it's under 2 it's free. 2 - 5yrs part free, you pay labor. And 50.00 is a lot for test running a unit. And if he can't tell if it needs the valve clearance checked, pick it up from him and find a Gold Level / Elite dealer (like we are). Monkeys can't fix anything.

MOW ED
10-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Tell him to replace the ignition module. It has a extended warranty on it. If it's under 2 it's free. 2 - 5yrs part free, you pay labor. And 50.00 is a lot for test running a unit. And if he can't tell if it needs the valve clearance checked, pick it up from him and find a Gold Level / Elite dealer (like we are). Monkeys can't fix anything.

Ricky86 YOU ROCK. Two seasons I am gonna do the valves myself, thanks also.
I called the dealer again and they said that after trying it every other day they found no problem. So I drove there to pick it up and the counter guy said that he felt bad that they couldn't find anything so lets go out back and fire it up. I did suggest the ignition coil like you said.
When we tried, it didn't start. He put a jumper wire on the plug and the plug wire (it has a little light in between) and pulled. No light. No spark.

Verdict, new coil on order. I bought it in May of 07 so I will pay labor. No problem. I could be mad about being jerked a little but what the heck, its going to be fixed before leaf season. Thanks for the help.:waving:

RonAyersMotorsports
10-08-2009, 09:20 AM

Yes I have seen a few of these coils misfire. The only way to actually know this is the problem is to replace it with a new one and then check the running. The coil has a 2 year parts and labor warranty and a 5 year parts warranty. Just like this guy said.

Buzz it
12-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Itís really unfair that some parts of the country (Ga., Fl.) can sell the BR600 Magnum for $439.99 but can't sell it outside the state on the INTERNET and we in California have to pay $489.99 and up. Not fair in these economic times! Please let others know before they pay to much when other manufacturers have better WARRANTIES and just as good blower specifications. Check out Tanaka TBL7800R with 7 yr. warranty for $431.99 out the door OR Echo PB755T/H with 5 yr. warranty for $451.99 out the door OR shindaiwa EB633RT with 2yr. warranty for $411.99 out the door at WiseSales.com in Illinois, usa with no tax or shipping costs. STIHL DOES NOT SEEM TO BE FAIR WITH THEIR SELLING METHODS CONCERNING CA, what is happening in other states I wonder. Anybody know? By the way Echo makes Shindaiwa. Shin 633 same as Echo 755 (like CHEVY SILVERADO and GMC SIERRA)

jbturf
12-01-2009, 08:43 PM
similar issue,
just had my 4 year old br600 into the shop
it was getting a little hard to pull over

they did full tune up/valve adj
when i got it back it now has an intermittent
cut out at full throttle- feels as though the kill switch
was hit for a second

any rate sounds very similar to the OP issue,
how should i aproach this issue
i did notify the shop of the issue the very same day i picked
it up from them- maybe i should just drop it off over the winter
and mention the ign coil?

thanks
Josh

topsites
12-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Wait...

I've had this problem as well, not just with the br600 but most any machine
can do it at times, pita pos load...

So I went out and bought a big bad tube of die-electric grease, and ever since
every single spark plug on any machine of mine, I hit up the tip of the plug
with a dab of that grease.

Then I also make sure the connector inside the boot is snug enough, sometimes I'll
crimp it LIGHTLY (and be dang careful) with a set of pliers to snug it up some but be
aware you can flatten that piece too (and then you're sol thou you can use a screwdriver
to pry it back open).
Anyhow...

As I install it, I like to hear or at least feel it 'click' when the connector snaps onto the plug.

Can't say it fixes every problem, but I can tell you it's fixed things at least once before.

rotti1968
12-01-2009, 11:20 PM

Im a gold tech and I agree 110% at the most bench fee for our shop is 20.97 covers about 15 minutes of diag. If they can not figure it out in that time then they dont have a clue.All stihl products purchased after 2003 have a 2 year warranty on carburetors, 2 year parts and labor on coils and after 2-5 parts only as was stated. I would replace the coil on this unit , have seen a few recently with the same issue and a new coil took care of it .

rotti1968
12-01-2009, 11:26 PM
similar issue,
just had my 4 year old br600 into the shop
it was getting a little hard to pull over

they did full tune up/valve adj
when i got it back it now has an intermittent
cut out at full throttle- feels as though the kill switch
was hit for a second

any rate sounds very similar to the OP issue,
how should i aproach this issue
i did notify the shop of the issue the very same day i picked
it up from them- maybe i should just drop it off over the winter
and mention the ign coil?

thanks
Josh

Are you using synthetic or part synthetic oil for your mix ? if not thats the issue for hard to pull over the standard oil over time when mixed a little rich creates a film over all moving internal parts and it becomes very sticky and hard to turn over. this can be fixed by spraying some carb cleaner into the impulse hose and pull the recoil to cycle it through the unit and let sit for a while . it should free it up, the intermittent cut off at full throttle sounds like its the module, loss of spark,bad rev limiter(built into the the module)

jbturf
12-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Are you using synthetic or part synthetic oil for your mix ? if not thats the issue for hard to pull over the standard oil over time when mixed a little rich creates a film over all moving internal parts and it becomes very sticky and hard to turn over. this can be fixed by spraying some carb cleaner into the impulse hose and pull the recoil to cycle it through the unit and let sit for a while . it should free it up, the intermittent cut off at full throttle sounds like its the module, loss of spark,bad rev limiter(built into the the module)

thanks for reply,
ive been using the white bottle stihl oil, anyway- the blower was easier to
pull over after the service, so i didnt think twice about that
they also replaced the fuel lines and filter etc.. during service
so i assume all those things are infact fine
but i am done with it for this season, so ill let them have another look at
it when they have time, and go from there
thanks

Green Pastures
12-02-2009, 01:26 AM

I just had the same problems you describe with my oldest BR-600, took it in and found it to be the ignition module. Stihl covers the part, I have to pay labor.

Fixed it just like magic!

RonAyersMotorsports
12-03-2009, 08:54 AM
I just had the same problems you describe with my oldest BR-600, took it in and found it to be the ignition module. Stihl covers the part, I have to pay labor.

Fixed it just like magic!

Yep ignition coils are covered parts and labor 2 years. And parts only up to 5 years on most STIHL equipment.

fox526
12-04-2009, 10:45 AM
I just read the stihl warrant and it doesnt say anything about parts being covered for 5 years... Just says 2 year warranty...

http://www.stihlusa.com/warranty.html...
Then click at the top to download the warranty specs. Why is everyone talking about 5 year on parts?

rotti1968
12-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Stihl warranty by federal law regarding emissions parts ie: carburetors and ignition modules must be warrantied for 2 years parts and labor regardless of length of base warranty. Stihl goes one step past that and covers the ignition module up to 5 years from date of purchase parts only and the consumer pays labor. This is for units purchased after march 2003. Before 2003 back to july 1 1995 have a limited lifetime warranty on the ignition module. It was covered parts and labor for the normal warranty period,after that warranty expired the module is covered lifetime parts only. Before that date back to july 1 1989 most of stihls units carry a lifetime parts and labor warranty on the ignition module. it may not be clearly expressed in the warranty you have read .

Im a gold certified Stihl tech and this is what it is and I would not tell you this if it wasnt the policy. But one thing to keep in mind the unit had to be registered to the original owner , or you must supply proof of purchase for the the unit before this warranty will be granted.

ed2hess
12-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Stihl warranty by federal law regarding emissions parts ie: carburetors and ignition modules must be warrantied for 2 years parts and labor regardless of length of base warranty. Stihl goes one step past that and covers the ignition module up to 5 years from date of purchase parts only and the consumer pays labor. This is for units purchased after march 2003. Before 2003 back to july 1 1995 have a limited lifetime warranty on the ignition module. It was covered parts and labor for the normal warranty period,after that warranty expired the module is covered lifetime parts only. Before that date back to july 1 1989 most of stihls units carry a lifetime parts and labor warranty on the ignition module. it may not be clearly expressed in the warranty you have read .

Im a gold certified Stihl tech and this is what it is and I would not tell you this if it wasnt the policy. But one thing to keep in mind the unit had to be registered to the original owner , or you must supply proof of purchase for the the unit before this warranty will be granted.

What is the cost to install the coil......and does you shop then also charge for new plug, fuel filter, air filter, and adjust the valves. Average warranty charge in many shops is over $50. And will you shop just hand me the coil if I want to install it?

rotti1968
12-05-2009, 10:24 PM
It takes approx 25 minutes to properly test the ignition system and install the module. Our shop labor rate is 6.99 a tenth of an hour or 69.90 an hour . So it would be around 30.00 to 35.00 to test the kill circuit and install the module. And no we would not replace the air filter,spark plug,fuel filter and adjust the valves at this time unless the customer requested and if they did it would be another approx 10 to 15 minutes additional time + parts.

No we do not just give the customer the coil over counter to replace themselves under warranty. there are many times there is not an issue with the coil and there is an issue with the kill circuit or fuel etc.

ricky86
12-06-2009, 12:46 AM
I just read the stihl warrant and it doesnt say anything about parts being covered for 5 years... Just says 2 year warranty...

http://www.stihlusa.com/warranty.html...
Then click at the top to download the warranty specs. Why is everyone talking about 5 year on parts?

Read it again

rotti1968
12-06-2009, 06:28 AM
http://www.stihlusa.com/STIHLInc_LimitedWarranty_10.09.pdf

ed2hess
12-06-2009, 10:00 AM
It takes approx 25 minutes to properly test the ignition system and install the module. Our shop labor rate is 6.99 a tenth of an hour or 69.90 an hour . So it would be around 30.00 to 35.00 to test the kill circuit and install the module. And no we would not replace the air filter,spark plug,fuel filter and adjust the valves at this time unless the customer requested and if they did it would be another approx 10 to 15 minutes additional time + parts.

No we do not just give the customer the coil over counter to replace themselves under warranty. there are many times there is not an issue with the coil and there is an issue with the kill circuit or fuel etc.

Does stihl require you to send the part back for verification? The shop I am training at has a big tester but I seldom see them use it. Normally the spark tester is used and on high temp cutouts we run the thing wide open on the bench.

rotti1968
12-06-2009, 10:22 AM
must be held for 90 days for possible call back. i test with a spark tester,then isolate the coil from the kill circuit and retest with the spark tester for no spark condition,loss of spark is wide open throttle outside the shop until either the unit looses spark or not . They more then likely don't use the tester since i believe the newer modules cant be tested on it because of the internal circuit boards and chips .