PDA

View Full Version : Want to kill bugs

petemoss
05-05-2002, 11:41 PM
I have searched the forums and the internet for this information and can't find anything, so I thought I would ask. On my own lawn I have some virtually dead spots (just dirt with sparse weeds). I have pulled up some of the weeds and there are bugs attached to the underside of the crown, in amongst the roots. The bugs are kind of like chinch bugs in size, maybe an 8th inch, but they are a pale blue color. They don't appear to be eating the plant, maybe sucking the juice from it. I am wondering what these might be. Any ideas?

tremor
05-06-2002, 02:11 PM
Pete,

They sound like juvenile Chinch Bugs which are range from blue to red before taking on the adult color.
Talstar liquid or granular will take them down for you, as well as a raft of other turf damging & nuisance insect pests.
Chinch bugs don't chew the grass plant. Like Aphids, the suck out the juices with their peircing & sucking mouth parts. So the plants will appear hole but will gradually wither & die. They may only be active in the sunny hotter parts of a lawn right now. Often ajacent to their preferred winter harborage. But like cattle on pastures, they'll move across a lawn causing damage as they go.
These pics show some of the color variations.

http://aggie-turf.tamu.edu/insect/chinch.html

Steve

petemoss
05-06-2002, 08:39 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the information. I will attack them with a vengence.