PDA

View Full Version : Exmark or scag?

jameszell24
10-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Im 19 years old and ive been mowing for myself and working for a landscaping company but im about to start working only for myself, I cut a lot of restidental and im wanting either a 52-60 inch deck in either a scag or exmark, and was wanting to know witch one was cheaper to maintain and more relieable

TreeClimber57
10-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Not sure, but I run mostly eXmark and they have not given me any issues at all. Have five different models running right now, and all are working well with no downtime other than what we schedule.

93Chevy
10-05-2009, 11:32 AM
In an instance like this, it's best to find the best dealer support. I've never operated a Scag for more than about 15 minutes and I was very pleased, albeit inexperienced. I've put hundred of hours on Exmarks and am very acquainted with them. They are reliable and relatively easy to service. Like I said, I've never run a Scag for a long time, but I do like the Exmark models. Hope that helps.

And again, I believe dealer support is critical in this decision. No matter which mower you get, as they are both top-quality, finding somebody who's willing to help you and take care of you as a customer might be the deciding factor.

jameszell24
10-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Could you tell me as far as spindles belts or air filters which is cheaper?

MarcSmith
10-05-2009, 12:35 PM
I've used exmarks and scags, both are competent machines. no major issues so long as you maintain them. consumables are going to be about the same price on either machine...

As others have mentioned. dealer support is key. if you planon doing all you own wrench twisting then its a toss up., IMO

I would opt for the 52 rather than the 60.

jameszell24
10-05-2009, 01:26 PM
thanks for all the help
Lane

MileHigh
10-06-2009, 12:47 AM
Just demoed a Scag TT 61"...I'm used to a Exmark Lazer 60".

The Lazer Z runs circles around the scag as far as maneuverability.

IMO, the scag doesn't cut as smooth, and feels extremely heavy.

The Scag definitely has a better seat...and looks cooler.

Reliability...Both are excellent quality....but give me the exmark.

Stillwater
10-06-2009, 01:04 AM
Could you tell me as far as spindles belts or air filters which is cheaper?

do you mean replacement cost or build quality?

exmark and scag they are both high end, I have been running 07 exmarks for the past 2 years, zero down time so far. you will be fine with either make.

Shasta Lake Landscaping
10-06-2009, 01:06 AM
I would say scag. I love all our scags, plus I'm not really a fan of the new plastic Z movement. Area dealer support is critical.

Stillwater
10-06-2009, 01:14 AM
I would say scag. I love all our scags, plus I'm not really a fan of the new plastic Z movement. Area dealer support is critical.

what is the plastic z movement?

Shasta Lake Landscaping
10-06-2009, 01:57 AM
The increasing volume of plastic and or non-greasable, non-serviceable components.

Stillwater
10-06-2009, 02:23 AM
The increasing volume of plastic and or non-greasable, non-serviceable components.

I kinda thought that wasn't sure, what high end commercial mowers are going plastic? and no zerks

Shasta Lake Landscaping
10-06-2009, 02:49 AM
I'm not sure how long it's been, since I'm a die hard scag guy, but I noticed these things about the ultra cute series 4 deck when visiting the exmark website. "No maintenance, sealed and non-greasable spindles." and "High-strength, composite, tensioning idler pulleys with no-maintenance, sealed ball bearings."

Composite idler pulleys?
I don't know maybe it's all for the better.

Stillwater
10-06-2009, 03:04 AM
I'm not sure how long it's been, since I'm a die hard scag guy, but I noticed these things about the ultra cute series 4 deck when visiting the exmark website. "No maintenance, sealed and non-greasable spindles." and "High-strength, composite, tensioning idler pulleys with no-maintenance, sealed ball bearings."

Composite idler pulleys?
I don't know maybe it's all for the better.

Wow I never seen a composite idler did not know they were doing that, exmark has had the no maint spindles for years now I never had to replace one I dont know about anyone else though.

Shasta Lake Landscaping
10-06-2009, 03:15 AM
Our hustler spindles are good at 1300hrs and there non-greasable, I guess I was just shocked about composite parts, like I said maybe it's all to help us improve the bottom line,.....or them. That's what it's all about anyways.

MarcSmith
10-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Ive had two of scags "high strength" stamped metal idler pulleys go on me...

the TT is what I'd call a large frame mower. Id stick with the wildcat...

Shasta Lake Landscaping
10-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Ive had two of scags "high strength" stamped metal idler pulleys go on me...

the TT is what I'd call a large frame mower. Id stick with the wildcat...

That what I mean, maybe composite is better. What went tho, the bearings or the metal pulley it's self. If it was the bearings, did you ever lube them?

MarcSmith
10-06-2009, 12:58 PM
That what I mean, maybe composite is better. What went tho, the bearings or the metal pulley it's self. If it was the bearings, did you ever lube them?

the stamped steel pullys came apart. no lube points. Cast metal is still the way to go...IMO. Ive never had a cast metal pulley fail

Shasta Lake Landscaping
10-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Agreed, cast is the way to go.

...just not cast composite!:usflag:

mowerdude777
10-06-2009, 06:45 PM
In my experience exmark is the best but I have never used scag