PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone work with realestate companys

tropical breeze
10-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Is this a good way to get some accounts ? I will have all my paperwork done in the next 2 weeks and was thinking this could land me quite a few accounts am I correct here. I am also going to do a neighborhood soecial where I live. Am I on the right path ?

tropical breeze
10-05-2009, 02:25 PM
That should have been Special. LOL

clean_cut
10-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Sounds like a good idea, I'm sure the realestate companies would like their yards/homes to be looking nice for potential buyers.

Columbia Care
10-06-2009, 09:53 PM
I have done quit a bit of work for Real Estate Agents in the past. They want the property to look prestine and they were not willing to pay top dollar for the work. I have also had a few to wait until the property is sold before I received payment.

otis
10-15-2009, 02:41 AM
I have done quit a bit of work for Real Estate Agents in the past. They want the property to look prestine and they were not willing to pay top dollar for the work. I have also had a few to wait until the property is sold before I received payment.

my same experience!

Kennedy Landscaping
10-17-2009, 07:00 AM
I tried it almost a year ago and had no luck. But I may give it another shot for this year.

vanncann
10-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Management companies usually mean trouble (I speak from experience), but ask other contractor's in your area to see who is trust worthy and pay on time. I've got one now I get paid on the 10th of every month no questions asked.

topsites
10-18-2009, 01:17 AM
Not to be a downer but I would recommend at least 5 years under the belt before
anyone tries to take on these customers, even then it can be a challenge.

They're not all bad, but even in my 7th and 8th year I've had my hands full,
as was said, they expect all the bells and whistles for the absolute lowest price,
not just cheap but cheaper than cheap, basically.

That having been said...
You could, even before the 5th year, take on a job here or there, from a Realtor.
That should be all right, to get a taste for it, but just personally speaking I
wouldn't go taking on a whole slew of Realty stuff just yet.

So take it easy with these guys, they're highly educated and well off, but do it one job at a time.

Hope that helps.

LB1234
10-18-2009, 04:48 PM
I believe you are on the right track...real estate may be the way to go to fill in some time however, in my experience do the work for the attorney's NOT the real estate agents. We work with a real estate attorney and he gives us a lot of property maintenance, cleanups, etc. to perform throughout the year.

Basically when an estate gets listed he calls us up (on behalf of the homeowner) to perform certain services. Get paid good money and timely payments...which is key for performing work where it will be difficult to get money from someone who no longer resides at that address.

ZKSLAWN
10-18-2009, 04:55 PM
i tried that but was told i needed the insurance first so make ysure you do that.. i have to soon

Hanau
10-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Here's something to try.

Look for a really ragged property that has been on the market a while. Approach the realtor about doing some landscaping in exchange for a percentage of the selling price.

I've made out well doing this. Put a few hundred in, get a few thousand back out.

You want a property that's structurally sound, the house looks good, the yard looks like hell.

It doesn't make sense to put a really nice yard on a dump that needs to be condemned.

We have 6 such properties going on now.

johnsonslawnmanagement
10-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Realtors want the work done yesterday and want to pay you next year!
Keep away or arrange payment beforehand.
Posted via Mobile Device

LB1234
10-18-2009, 10:43 PM
i tried that but was told i needed the insurance first so make ysure you do that.. i have to soon

that is why the attorney I work for uses my company. EVERY single job I add the "estate of XYZ" to my insurance as an additional insured or something like that...I don't remember exactly what it is called. Each job has a certificate of insurance (both GL and WC) added to it. He also knows that I have specific insurance for pesticide applications and snow removal so I get those jobs as well.

I agree about the previous poster in regards to real estate agents wanting everything done yesterday and payment after sale...which can be months. We stopped doing work for real estate offices because of this...most want the houses tidied up but have no clue what it costs to perform the service/s. We found we were landing MAYBE one out of ten estimates from them. Whereas from the attorney point of view this work HAS to get done or the house wont/can't sell.

Dugann
10-19-2009, 03:06 PM
I found a realtor here that not only sales property but the majority of their business is property management. They have over 100 rental properties, and they have all the apartment complexes in town as well. We do all of their lawn maintenance and landscape maintenance. We do their offices, lawn maintenance when people move in/out of these rental properties ,and while they are waiting to be rented out. We also do a lot of minor stuff for them as well like changing light bulbs, property clean ups, hedge/shrubs, light tree removal/trimming, even moving furniture for them. We also do a few job here and there for other realtors in the area (word of mouth between realtors), we do however pick up 1 to 4 jobs a month from referrals from these other realtors. Most of these jobs are clean up either before or after the sale of the property.

This has allowed us especially due to the area that we live in to pick up clients that live out of town or state and manage their lawn maintenance needs while they are away. This has been a very good source of income.

Between this real estate company and the minor monthly referrals from other real estate companies we have built up a great client base in the area of realtors. The odd jobs for the real estate company really really add up as well. All this is in addition to our main core residential and commercial accounts. I basically have a crew that services nothing but these odd jobs and that real estate account.

I feel that if you can get in with a real estate company that dose rental and property management you can do well. Other real estate companies will give u a job here and there and you might even have to wait till the property sells to get your money so be careful there and ask about that up front. Hope this helps.

rdvppl
10-31-2009, 03:39 PM
My person experience with the real estate industry. The relationship you develop with your contact that is responsible for your payment is the most important thing you will do. I currently work with an assistant broker who manages the sales of reo's for 3 banks. She is solid gold for me. How did i develop this ?

1. Always being her "go to guy" with out fail.
2. Doing what i promise.
3. Follow up, follow up, follow up.

If you take care of them they will take care of you.
I have had to hold her feet to the fire so to speak at times but, because i have jumped the hoops and toed the line she accepts it from me. Real estate pro's are a high pressure, busy group, so if you are the calm rock in the eye of the storm it will reap the benefits. Just be willing to put your time in.

Just one guys humble opinion...

david shumaker
10-31-2009, 06:12 PM
I've done jobs for a few realtors, house flippers, etc. in the past, but don't want to do it anymore. Too much hassle for the money. I'd rather have good regular accounts. I don't want to jump across town anymore for a $35.00 overgrown yard.

SangerLawn
10-31-2009, 09:13 PM
Is this a good way to get some accounts ? I will have all my paperwork done in the next 2 weeks and was thinking this could land me quite a few accounts am I correct here. I am also going to do a neighborhood soecial where I live. Am I on the right path ?

It kills me that every single new person to this industry goes to real estate companies. Do a search on here and you will find this question comes up about every 2-4 weeks.

They do not pay worth a flip and expect you to mow no less then every 3 weeks. This is hard on equipment not to mention your lawns are going to be spread all over the country side. You figure 15 minutes to drive there, 20 minutes to cut, 15 minutes drive back then wear and tear on equipment plus fuel and trimmer string for an entire $25…then you have to fight with them to get your money….go for!!!

DJ'sLawnCareSvc
11-02-2009, 01:00 AM
they are way too cheap out here. almost not worth it, they usually have illegals doing it for next to nothing

LB1234
11-02-2009, 03:35 PM
I've done jobs for a few realtors, house flippers, etc. in the past, but don't want to do it anymore. Too much hassle for the money. I'd rather have good regular accounts. I don't want to jump across town anymore for a $35.00 overgrown yard.

Why only charge the "regular price" to cut. We just did one for our attorney and charged him double for having to cut it twice, bag, and remove it. Also, we charge a premium for accounts that are for sale just for putting them in our schedule.

just something to think about.

david shumaker
11-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Why only charge the "regular price" to cut. We just did one for our attorney and charged him double for having to cut it twice, bag, and remove it. Also, we charge a premium for accounts that are for sale just for putting them in our schedule.

just something to think about.

You're right. I wouldn't mind if they would pay for a "CLEANUP" which the yards usually need, but most only want to pay "CUTTING THE GRASS" price.

That's just my personal experiance in my area. I've had a couple exceptions.

slh200277
11-03-2009, 12:55 AM
I used to be real estate agent and you guys are correct in not wanting to pay. The biggest reason for this is we have to get the money from the homeowner and a lot of times they are looking at us like we should be paying since they think they are paying us so much money. I can see how getting in with an attorney would be a better option because they would most likely just bill their client which would be the bank in a foreclosure circumstance.

rusty_keg_3
11-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Yea, our mom is a realtor, and she manages her office... And the people at her office like us, and suggest us to people... We also work for relocation... That pays great, but we dont get paid un til the house sells. But we were cutting a house for $45, and we would normaly charg $25 for it, but the lady in charge of it has a "allounwende" on how much she can spend for cut, and she was the one eho suggested the price...

LB1234
11-05-2009, 05:53 PM
You're right. I wouldn't mind if they would pay for a "CLEANUP" which the yards usually need, but most only want to pay "CUTTING THE GRASS" price.

That's just my personal experiance in my area. I've had a couple exceptions.

You are right...if they don't want to pay the extra coin to do it right then don't tell them not to call. You need to find someone who VALUES your service.

BTW / FYI we are doing a job for the attorney in which we are doing the work and won't be paid till after the sale of the house. He approached me stating he has a house that needs to sell (homeowner died he is executor) and needs to be cleaned up and maintained till sold and would like me to do the work. He was upfront and said he doesn't have the funds available to pay for services now. I simply asked if I would eventually get paid, he said yes without a doubt would never do that (in six or so years he hasn't). I said no problem. He then said thx and do me one more favor...I said okay...he says go to such and such an address perform the leaf cleanup and send me a bill. I did, got paid in within two days of performing said job. SOMETIMES it may be beneficial to work out a deal if money is paid later down the road. Takes some time to find those people but it may be beneficial in the long run to bend over backwards a little. Oh ya, he also has me bill him for estimates...no kidding. If I don't get the job I get like 20-25 bucks for going to look at it!

CapitalLawnGroup
11-05-2009, 06:26 PM
The big problem with doing REO work is the properties are always changing hands in this market. A friend of mine invested his whole company, all his efforts/time in reo homes (which as mentioned didn't pay well if they paid at all, were spread ALL OVER the county) and when Fannie May and Freddie Mac were trading properties he lost ALL of them. Then all the income he was depending on was gone and he was stuck with 2 residential customers he got when he first started. He lost 80 accounts in one night. I won't do them.

PestPro
11-25-2009, 07:01 AM
They might pay good for Lawn care ,,but not worth a S%$*, on Pest Control,

Agawam413
01-27-2010, 01:54 AM
I did work for a local real estate company for 9 years, It's good money just as long as they understand your payment requirements. Do some work first to test them out.