PDA

View Full Version : stupid questions about Poulan chainsaw oil

rechargeable
10-05-2009, 03:33 PM
I've got a neighbor's Poulan chainsaw here, and the manual says to use the Poulan brand 40:1 in the gas and Poulan chain oil or "a good SAE 30." My own saw is a Stihl, so I have the Stihl 50:1 and Stihl brand chain lube. Is there any reason whatsoever to NOT use these in the Poulan?

Or, more to the point, can I tell my neighbor to just use whatever generic 2-stroke and chain oils they have at the hardware store? I believe the 2-stroke oil they sell there is also a 50:1. There's no Poulan brand anything around here.

LushGreenLawn
10-05-2009, 03:41 PM
You just have to mix your two cycle oil at 40:1, no matter what brand it is, I'm not sure how many ounces it is, but I will check and make another post.

All bar oil is sae30, but if its labeled as bar oil it has an additive that is supposed to make it tacky and make it stick to the chain. Any sae oil will work, even motor oil.
Posted via Mobile Device

LushGreenLawn
10-05-2009, 03:56 PM
To get 40:1 you mix 3.2oz of 2cycle oil in a gallon of gas
Posted via Mobile Device

kogafortwo
10-05-2009, 08:14 PM
The quality of the oil determines the ratio. Run Stihl Ultra synthetic at 50:1 with 93 octane gas. Even in old equipment that says 30:1 or 25:1.

Bar oil quality almost doesn't matter, I get the best deal I can at Northern Tool. You can cut it with Canola oil too if you want.

Cleve
10-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Don't bother making different mixes for other equipment.
I've got Stihl chainsaw, Craftsman chainsaw (30yrs. old, still runs great), Echo trimmers and edgers, Redmax blowers (2), Echo blower, Redmax hedge grimmers, and 2 lawnboy mowers (really old), and all run with the same mix now. I had a friend who was a industrial engineer for a major lubrication comapny tell me years ago to just use a good major brand of oil and mix the same for all. Been using Husgvarna 2 cycle oil mixed in 2 1/2 gal. containers ever since. Everything still runs great. And, the lawnboys don't have that funny exhaust smell now.
Keep in mind that the above equipment had original rations that varied form 16:1 to 50:1 and everything in between. All get the same mix now (probably around 50:1). Been the same since the late 80s.

LushGreenLawn
10-05-2009, 08:37 PM
The poulan chainsaw is a cheap homeowner saw that recommends 40:1. I'm sure they recommend 40:1 over 50:1 for a reason. Why take a chance with using a fraction on an oz less per gallon of oil in a saw thats not his?

fritowrdo
10-05-2009, 09:13 PM
I've got a neighbor's Poulan chainsaw here, and the manual says to use the Poulan brand 40:1 in the gas and Poulan chain oil or "a good SAE 30." My own saw is a Stihl, so I have the Stihl 50:1 and Stihl brand chain lube. Is there any reason whatsoever to NOT use these in the Poulan?

Or, more to the point, can I tell my neighbor to just use whatever generic 2-stroke and chain oils they have at the hardware store? I believe the 2-stroke oil they sell there is also a 50:1. There's no Poulan brand anything around here.

My Husky 141 is a Poulan and I have had it for 6 years and run it at 50:1 with Echo 2 stroke oil. I have never ran it at 40:1 and even the Echo website says you can replace your other stuff with the 50:1 Echo oil. Runs great!