PDA

View Full Version : wright stander stripe question

duramax0387
10-06-2009, 01:04 AM
i have a 2003 wright stander 52 inch and i was wondering what i can do to get my stripes more noticable. i just ordered a set of hevy duty high lifts and gator blades. just waiting for them to come in. shouls that do it?

tom

mtchockey30
10-06-2009, 01:19 AM
I dont think that that will help any.. I have a 52 stander as well and it stripes pretty good. The key you are going to have to mow the same path a few times for the stripes to get pretty noticeable. Say, 3 times one way and then 3 in another direction and keep trading off. It also depends on how you deck is set up, "the lower your deck the more it will stripe however, the more you will hit stuff on the ground due to the ground clearance.

duramax0387
10-06-2009, 01:26 AM
thanks. jw cause i got a set of the gator magnums for my bobcat and noticed a diff. just curious about the stander. i just bought it so i dnt know much of them.

Hawkshot99
10-06-2009, 01:50 AM
I dont think that that will help any.. I have a 52 stander as well and it stripes pretty good. The key you are going to have to mow the same path a few times for the stripes to get pretty noticeable. Say, 3 times one way and then 3 in another direction and keep trading off. It also depends on how you deck is set up, "the lower your deck the more it will stripe however, the more you will hit stuff on the ground due to the ground clearance.

I am going to disagree on almost everything you said.

Yes going over the same stripe over and over will make a deeper stripe. My high lift blades leave a much darker stripe than my mediums as well. The lower the deck is, the less of a stripe you will leave. The stripe is from the sun light reflecting off of the grass blades. The longer the grass the more the stripes can be bent in opposite directions.

mtchockey30
10-06-2009, 02:41 AM
I am going to disagree on almost everything you said.

Yes going over the same stripe over and over will make a deeper stripe. My high lift blades leave a much darker stripe than my mediums as well. The lower the deck is, the less of a stripe you will leave. The stripe is from the sun light reflecting off of the grass blades. The longer the grass the more the stripes can be bent in opposite directions.

U are not disagreeing with everything I am saying at all you are actually saying what I just said but in a different view. However, the lower the deck the MORE of a stripe it WILL make. This is because the deck will fold the grass over more than a higher deck. (just like what a stripe kit does, ex. rollers, chains, rubber) The stripe is from the mower laying the grass over, the sun is not the cause of the stripe, the mower laying the grass over at an angle in opposite directions gives the striping pattern. The sun shows different shadows bc of the grass being flattened in different directions. The stripe is not a result of the sun more a reaction due to the grass being flattened in dif. directions and then viewing it.

The lower the deck DOES NOT mean the lower the cut. I agree longer grass can look to be striped better.

I will not comment on the different types of blades leaving better stripes.. maybe I will a little.. I have not noticed a difference. But I have not used gator or high lift all that much. lol

I am tired now and do not know if any of that made any sence

Shasta Lake Landscaping
10-06-2009, 03:29 AM
Depends on what kinda grass too. I assume you'll be cutting thin northern grasses like I do, so I say yes, becuase I notice a big difference. As well as how fast I can go without leaving stringers, and clumping is less, if its an issue, if not there's a difference in clipping dispersal. Another thing is, I'm not sure about gator high lifts, I'm comparing standard med lift to standard high lift.

LawnGuy73
10-06-2009, 09:00 AM

Sorry but I have to disagree with all of that...

Duramax,

I have posted a picture of a lawn that was mowed using a factory 2005 WS5225 Wright Stander mower that is 100% factory. The only thing on it that doesn't come factory are the Scag High-Lift blades on it. This lawn is a single cut lawn, which means we didn't mow it three times to get these results, however you can see stripes from the prior weeks in it. This lawn is cut at 3" in length, we set out blades low in the deck, but we keep the deck high, which also makes it easier for climbing curbs. The high-lift blades will really help your cut quality alot, as for the Gator Blades. We only run them during clean ups for a reason - to mulch leaves. I have never been pleased with the way the lawn looks after running Gator Blades.

mdlwn1
10-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Funny ...I disagree with EVERYONE. Sure cutting in the same direction will shade it...and rut it....and make the grass grow in one direction. Cutting lower may or may not increase stripes. Cutting higher may or may not increase stripes. Its how you GROW the grass. Remember...if you have any ruts at all....your stripes dont count.

mdlwn1
10-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Not that these are good pics....but the point is...I cut in a different direction every time. Height 2.75" Just a well set up 36" wb. There are no ruts at all...not even 1/2" depressions. If you grow the grass plant gently...striping is no problem.

duramax0387
10-06-2009, 10:12 AM
thanks for all the help, just wanted to see what eveybodies opinion was. great work also.

Jhill19
10-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Why is this in the marketplace section?

LawnGuy73
10-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Why is this in the marketplace section?

I was wondering the same thing.... Just go with it:dizzy:

ColliganLands
10-06-2009, 04:38 PM
i run a 52/19 rapid height stander.. i tried the highlift gators on it and was not pleased with the cut quality or clipping dispersion of those blades.. lawns i normally only cut once with the highlifts had to be gone over 2 or 3 times with the gators to get all the stringers and to disperse the clippings... i now only run the standard blades that came with the mower, standard high lifts, or the exmark super highlifts these all leave a nice cut and well defined stripes

http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=266&pictureid=1795
http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=266&pictureid=2041

mtchockey30
10-06-2009, 04:58 PM
There is just to many factors, striping preferences will be different with everyone. People are in different regions, using different mowers, using different blades, mowing different grasses, with different weather conditions, etc.

LawnGuy73
10-12-2009, 09:22 AM
This is for jtkplc who wanted pictures of our deck setups. However I haven't had a chances to get out to the shop this weekend, and today is a snow day for us. So the current deck and caster settings are as follows...

Caster Spacers - two on bottom, one and a washer on top side.

Caster wheel Mounts - bottom bolt is in the second or middle hole, therefore the top is also in the middle of the siding hole thing.

Blades - four spacers between the spindle and the blade.

Total this gives you approx 3" cut, we cut at 3 all season long. Until just before clean ups.

LawnGuy73
10-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Here are pictures of our decks, sorry the quality they were taken with a cell phone and then emailed to me.

tom's lawn care
10-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Also if the ayrd is over seeded the mower wouln't stripe as well, but if the yard is seeded just right your stripes will look amazing.

mdlwn1
10-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Also if the ayrd is over seeded the mower wouln't stripe as well, but if the yard is seeded just right your stripes will look amazing.

200 posts and this is what you came up with? Someone pays you to do work for them?