PDA

View Full Version : Lawn spray causing stunted growth??

Florida Gardener
10-06-2009, 12:23 AM
I have a yard that was relandscaped/resodded in may. It is St. Augustine and I fertilized it after the 1st 6 weeks since it was laid down and then after the next 6 weeks as suggested by my Lesco guy. The lawn was BEAUTIFUL! Dark green, lush grass. I told my customer that it would be worth it to have a spray company service the yard to keep weeds out,fungus,pests,etc. Well, they spray and about 2 weeks later the lawn isn't looking as good as it did before. Some areas looked "dry." They go back out to look at it and say that they went a little heavier on the spray to make sure weeds don't break through and that it caused some areas to have stunted growth....does this sound right?? Will my next round of fert. help this?? This is my best property on a corner of a very busy intersection and i want it looking perfect.

greendoctor
10-06-2009, 12:37 AM
I think something was applied that would cause this. In sandy soil, I am especially careful of Pre-M, Barricade or Dimension. These are root pruning herbicides that are really hard on stolon forming grasses. Sadly, you will have to wait this one out.

Florida Gardener
10-06-2009, 12:45 AM
When you say "wait this one out," what do you mean?? The turf is due for fert around mid November...

greendoctor
10-06-2009, 01:36 AM
I mean it will be a while before the grass is normal again. I expect the effects of herbicides to last several weeks. You might also see further drying of the grass as well.

Florida Gardener
10-06-2009, 08:23 AM
ok, thanks. Is this something that will happen every time they spray or is an initial effect of the spray?

mdlwn1
10-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Weed killer...if its not bad about 2 weeks. Pre--if its REALLY heavy...could be a while. By the way...if your lawn is watered well in these temps (big IF) then only a moron would OD right now.

Smallaxe
10-06-2009, 09:21 AM
... They go back out to look at it and say that they went a little heavier on the spray to make sure weeds don't break through and that it caused some areas to have stunted growth.... .

This is exactly why pre-m should be used for what it is - not how people use it in the barrier fantasy land. There is no barrier!!!, only a root growth inhibitor that kills seeds after germination. I had the same thing happen to me, by a moron who believes in the "barrier".