PDA

View Full Version : Toro Personal Pace Transmission Stopping

whitefish
10-06-2009, 12:49 AM
I recently purchased a Toro 20332 recycler and used it on a few lawns so far. Mower has been working great, except once in awhile the rear drive just stops. I disengage the personal pace drive and roll the mower ahead and then back. When I engage the drive again, away it goes, no problem. Happened about 10 times today on a 1/3 acre lot.

I did notice it happening more when bagging.

Any idea what can be causing this? :confused: I'll be talking to my Toro rep, but I thought I would start here first.

Thanks!

THC
10-06-2009, 02:02 AM
Any idea what can be causing this? :confused: I'll be talking to my Toro rep, but I thought I would start here first.

Thanks!

I say you start with your Home Depot Rep.:laugh:

I have one, it's a back up now, didn't last a season. Don't get sucked into buying a super recycler either. If you use your mower go commercial... you can't by that at Home Depot btw but you can buy all that box store crap at your dealers. Go commercial. It' costs 3x as much but is 10x the mower.

ixlr8
10-06-2009, 06:47 AM
I had the Toro recycler I bought at Home Cheapo, lasted weeks before one wheel stopped driving. Seems the gears are plastic, are exposed to the elements and have a short life. I now have a dealer bought super recycler, much better unit, gears are steel, enclosed and can be lubed.... but I still would not recommend it for full time commercial use, works okay for my part time use and SWMBO likes it for our yard. Definitly mixed reviews for quality of cut. Side discharge, I am not so sure the $550 SuperRecycler cuts any better than my 8 year old $100 Walmart special, the SR does mulch better though.

whitefish
10-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Thanks guys. I got the mower from a Toro dealership, so hopefully better service than Home Cheapo.

ixlr8
10-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Home Cheapo has no service for anything. I took the mower to one certified Toro dealer, took him 2 months to 'fix it' under warranty. The 'repair' lasted 1 week, I reported situation/experiance to Toro and they have since pulled his certification. I then took mower to a Toro "Master" dealer, he had it fixed in 2 days, still under warrenty, he told me what to be careful of when using it. Ran fine after that, six months later ex got mower in divorce so I have no idea what the status of it is now.

THC
10-06-2009, 03:10 PM
I had to have the tranny fixed on my recycler too. It probably only had a hundred hours on it, like I say, I still have it but it's a back up now. That machine couldn't mulch worth a crap either and because it has an odd 22" blade you don't have any option for blades. I was stuck using those gator rip off look alikes which are meant for dry leaves not green grass.

I had my toro recyler and Super recycler side by side for a test mulching the same thick green grass. The super recycler was MUCH MUCH better, that being said, it didn't last long either and now it's a back up too.

I would never buy these mowers again. I've haven't had any problems with my 21" commercial heavy duty with BBC and you can you use it just like a personal pace system. As fast or as slow as you want.

I shouldn't say no problems, I don't like the bag design but I rarely bag so...

DT Lawn Care
10-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Don't buy the cheap Home Depot mowers, if it has a Tecumseh stay away. They will end up costing you much more than the good ones you buy at the dealer in the long run, and that's a fact.

topsites
10-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Doesn't matter, all self-propelled 21's get like that, next time
just buy a non-propelled unit as they're lighter to begin with.

whitefish
10-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks again guys.

RonAyersMotorsports
10-08-2009, 09:23 AM
If it is an unit older than the last year. More than likely the springs that support the key way that actually engages the drive wheels are frozen. Simply remove clean, lubricate and boom its fixed. New transaxles have a differential built into the transmission that did away with the old design.