PDA

View Full Version : Algae growth on soil underneath grass

JasonK94Z
05-06-2002, 11:03 AM
I live in Jackson, TN. My yard is bermudagrass. Its greening up pretty good, but the north side of my house isn't. Seems it is staying wet over there too much from all the rain, and I have algea growing under the grass on the soil. This area is on the side of the house, and doesn't get a full days sun so it can drie out better than it has.
Is this going to be a problem for the grass? If so, what needs to be done? I have pretty good drainage, but its just been so wet around here that it doesn't have a chance to dry completely before the next rain.

Also, I used Scotts turf builder with plus 2 weed control in April. I have neighbors with full, lush green yards. My yard is only about 80% green so far. Am I doing something wrong? Is it because the Scotts fertilizer has a slow release? Should I put out a bag of triple 15 this weekend to give it a boost? The temp has been in the 70's and 80's.

Thanks everyone!

lawnstudent
05-10-2002, 11:03 PM
Soils that are wet all the time will ruin a turf lawn. Grass roots and soil microbes need oxygen. Water in the soil displaces oxygen. It would be best to get the water off the lawn. Improve the drainage. Redirect the water. What about your down spouts? Where is this water going? Can you get this water off the lawn?

Fertilizer is not necessarily your problem. How much fert did you put down? Each app should be about 1lb. / 1,000 sq.ft. of N. Scotts fert is 65% fast release and only 35% slow release. Scotts fert is not your problem.

jim