PDA

View Full Version : thin spots

ccorts
05-06-2002, 12:56 PM
Can anyone offer suggestions as to what can be done with thin grass spots. I applied a crab/weed killer last fall and the grass now is sparse and thin. I have had no luck in topseeding and do not wish to rake in topsoil. The area has good sun exposure and can be watered when required, but the soil is fair to poor. Any suggestions in increase denseness is appreciated. I'm concerned that the weeds will again take control if the grass doesn't get a quick head start. Thanks.:(

Runner
05-06-2002, 02:33 PM
Where abouts in Michigan are you? I canhelp you with the fix, I'm sure. Incidentally, this thread will probably be moved to the applications forum. (Ferts. and pesticides.)

awm
05-06-2002, 03:50 PM
a fairly heavy app of slow release fert.
this is not the time to use cheap fert.

wmsland
05-06-2002, 09:04 PM
Have the soil tested and follow the recomendations. I have done this with some problem lawns and have been amazed at the results.

ccorts
05-07-2002, 11:43 AM
Can you tell me a high quality fertilizer that I could purchase for this problem? What would you suggest. When you post "no time for cheap fertilizers" I am confuse as to what that actually is.(AWM help me here) I would buy anything that may work. Ideas?

Kent Lawns
05-07-2002, 01:45 PM
Test the soil.

The picture or logo on the bag is meaningless.

The correct nutrients in the correct AMOUNT is what matters.

Test the soil.

smburgess
05-07-2002, 08:38 PM
KENT LAWNS has it right...

Soil Test would always be the first step.

morturf
05-07-2002, 09:16 PM
Put a heavy application (20 to 30 Lbs per 1000) of Milorganite on it and watch it take off. This is what I have done to spots like this for years and it has never failed me. It will help your soil and your grass.
Mike

Runner
05-08-2002, 01:23 AM
Again, if you tell me where abouts you're at, I can direct you to the most feasible place for a high quality product. Do you have a Lesco around you? I can set you up, but I have to warn you, you better have your blades sharp, and hold on to your mowin' rear end. Stay away from the high N right now. Even though that's about all you see around right now, it's NOT the way to go.

KirbysLawn
05-08-2002, 01:37 AM
I must agree test the soil...lol. When you are ill and not looking well a doctor does not start dumping things in you and guessing...they test your blood. The turf you manage deserves the same. After the test you will have a good idea of what is wrong and what needs to be corrected next.

If you market yourself good and add on sales of organic matter then both you and the lawn will prosper.

ccorts
05-08-2002, 10:14 AM
Runner
I am located between Lansing and Jackson. Just tell me where to go. Thanks

ccorts
05-08-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Runner
Again, if you tell me where abouts you're at, I can direct you to the most feasible place for a high quality product. Do you have a Lesco around you? I can set you up, but I have to warn you, you better have your blades sharp, and hold on to your mowin' rear end. Stay away from the high N right now. Even though that's about all you see around right now, it's NOT the way to go.

I am located between Lansing and Jackson. It doesn't matter where I would go if I could get what I needed. Are the soil test kits you can buy over the counter worth the effort or do you have soil samples sent for more definitive breakdown?

Runner
05-08-2002, 09:11 PM
For your soil samples, you can take them to you county cooperative extension agency. (Look in County Government in your phone book. This is actually branched by MSU, and they send the samples to the university for testing. You will get a computer sheet back with all the content rates in the soil, as well as necessary amendments that should be made. The trick is, to take a few different small samples from the particular yards (unless there is one affected area you want tested) and DO NOT put the samples in metal containers! Zip-lock baggies work well, actually. Now, for your product and good advice, call Lesco's 1 800#. They will be able to lead you to your nearest location. I believe your cloest one would be in Gd.Rapids, but there may be one closer to you. These guys are great, well educated, and can answer any questions you may have and help you out immensily. That's what they are there for. I hope this helps. Oh, and Lesco does testing, also. They send it out to an independent lab. It's about 12 to 15 bucks a test, I believe. They also have free test bags for you if you wish.