PDA

View Full Version : Putting down sod

singular
10-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Hello all,

I am going to be laying down some sod this weekend. I went to my local nursery, Home Depot and Lowes in Maryland to look at what they had. Home Depot had the best looking sod, but it still wasn't that great. Is it normal for there to be a lot of dead looking grass between the green stuff? Is that dormant grass that will flourish over time or is that just dead grass that wont come back? When I run my fingers through it, it appears that there will be a lot of patchy areas in it.

Am I being too picky or should the sod look perfect before laying?

all the best,
Joe

mdlwn1
10-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Thats old rotting sod.......prolly 40+hours old.....

JB1
10-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Hello all,

I am going to be laying down some sod this weekend. I went to my local nursery, Home Depot and Lowes in Maryland to look at what they had. Home Depot had the best looking sod, but it still wasn't that great. Is it normal for there to be a lot of dead looking grass between the green stuff? Is that dormant grass that will flourish over time or is that just dead grass that wont come back? When I run my fingers through it, it appears that there will be a lot of patchy areas in it.

Am I being too picky or should the sod look perfect before laying?

all the best,
Joe

find a sod farm in your area.

robtown
10-06-2009, 09:10 PM
what have you done to prep for the sod.
This is the 1 chance you have to make a big difference to the soil.

singular
10-06-2009, 10:07 PM
what have you done to prep for the sod.
This is the 1 chance you have to make a big difference to the soil.

Thanks to all for the replies. I haven't really done anything to prep the sod. I just made sure the area was clear of all weeds and rocks, added some good soil and compacted.

I didn't actually buy the sod yet, because I was worried about it's condition.