PDA

View Full Version : how to change a Scag 48" tiger cub deck belt

tkilgour
10-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Okay, the deck belt on my 48" scag tiger cub popped off. I need to know of an easy way to get it back on the pulleys. Can anyone offer tips to doing this quickly? I have pushed the tensioner w/ a large metal pipe and tried pulling the belt over the left pully, the right pully and then tried pulling from the clutch w/ no luck and skinned up knuckles. I have changed this 2 other times in the past 5 yrs. but cant remember how to do it for the life of me. Please help! Thanks in advance.
:usflag:

Restrorob
10-06-2009, 11:03 PM
On a deck belt rout it around all pulley's leaving the discharge side pulley for last, You can then pull the belt enough to get it started on this last pulley. Hold it in the pulley with the palm of your hand then grab the blade turning it to roll the belt on the rest of the way.

On the deck drive belt, Rout it around the clutch and any idler then roll it onto the center spindle pulley.

Do a hydro belt the same way by rolling it onto a pump pulley using a wrench on the lower crankshaft bolt, But make sure you start the belt on the proper side of the pulley so the direction of rotation to roll it on is tightening the bolt.

tkilgour
10-06-2009, 11:31 PM
great thank you. I think I tried every other pully except the pully on the discharge side. I will give this method a shot, with luck I will get it on, thanks so much.