PDA

View Full Version : Am I on the right course?

Jmart90
10-06-2009, 11:58 PM
Hi,

I'm a new member here and hoping to be a long lasting one. I've been here for only a few hours and learned loads of info, can't wait to see what a few years will teach me hah.

My question right now is this:

Currently I'm an art's student, in my second year, when I first began university (I was 16 when I started uni) my parents sort of "pushed" me into it, although I wanted to do landscaping. But now I'm turning 19 in about a month and I'm not happy with Arts, and I've already enrolled into a landscaping program (1 year program at the local community college) and I'm done with arts after this semester (still giving it 110% though, I don't like to do poorly at anything hah)

But yea, I've been doing lawn care work since I was about 9 years old, I got my first couple lawns, now I'm up to 10 a week (I could be doing more, but I have a full time job with a real landscaping company as well, so I can only mow so many lawns in the evenings I have off.)

So My dream has been for years to own and operate my own landscaping company, my plan is as follows:

Take the landscaping program, and brick laying program, and carpentry program.
Become certified in all 3 fields
Continue working with my current company for a few years, so i can learn as much as possible.
Then really take my lawns serious and start my own thing.

So is this a smart plan? is there anything missing?

Also, a note, I understand my final step "start my own thing" is very vague hah, it's somthing I'm working on clarifying every day.

Thanks.

-Jeff

mgt379
10-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Iam in the landscaping program at my college right now, Its kind of a waste of time. I get more experience working of the athletics dept and in fact i am leaving this program at the end of this semister. Just an fyi it is a waste in my opinion you learn so much more from going out and working

MarkintheGarden
10-07-2009, 10:04 AM
It sounds to me like all you need to do is keep doing what you are doing; work hard, study hard and the clarity will come.

Best luck

Jmart90
10-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Iam in the landscaping program at my college right now, Its kind of a waste of time. I get more experience working of the athletics dept and in fact i am leaving this program at the end of this semister. Just an fyi it is a waste in my opinion you learn so much more from going out and working

Oh I'm sure you're right, I've worked in landscaping for years now, but still when having a business it never hurts to be able to say you're "certified" and have credentials to show. And I'm sure there's something the course can teach me lol.

mgt379
10-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Im not saying you wonít love it, but this program here at my college is geared towards golf courses. Yes a certification is great! But I donít know if itís worth it (to me) to stay in class learning about golf courses. But hey, maybe your program is different from mine or maybe you have an interest in golf courses. Either way i wish you the best of luck!

Jmart90
10-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Im not saying you wonít love it, but this program here at my college is geared towards golf courses. Yes a certification is great! But I donít know if itís worth it (to me) to stay in class learning about golf courses. But hey, maybe your program is different from mine or maybe you have an interest in golf courses. Either way i wish you the best of luck!

Hey thanks, best of luck to you too.

And from what the web stie says I'll be taking courses in:

Landscape Industry
Landscape Surveying
Plan Interpretation
Site Preparation and Construction
Construction Techniques
Landscape Soils
Equipment Operation
Deciduous and Coniferous Landscape Plants
Herbaceous Plants
Landscape Maintenance
Tree Maintenance
Turf Grass Management
Integrated Pest Management
Equipment Maintenance

So I really think that will be worth it, seeing as it is for my whole future lol.

mgt379
10-07-2009, 02:46 PM
That does sound like a great course! I wish you the best of luck !

mgt379
10-07-2009, 02:59 PM
soils can be really Hard, depending on the teacher. The second you get confused ask the teacher for help or send me a message and ill try my best to explain it.

Jmart90
10-07-2009, 04:04 PM
soils can be really Hard, depending on the teacher. The second you get confused ask the teacher for help or send me a message and ill try my best to explain it.

Haha, thanks for the advice.

What is it that makes it difficult?

mgt379
10-07-2009, 04:16 PM
There are many things to memorize such as mass flow, diffusion the textural triangle for sand silt and clay. Dealing with bulk density macropores and micropores.

Determining the diffrence between sandy loam and clay, silt loam etc... by feel was alittle tricky for me at first but now i got it down pretty good

There is so much more but i have to go to class that starts in 15 minutes lol so any more questions will have to wait until 7 haha

ZKSLAWN
10-07-2009, 11:57 PM
do it.. take the courses. so you can say your certified.. ppl will like it