PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong?

Screamin!
10-07-2009, 12:16 AM
Attached are a few pictures of a yard I got a call about today. When I got there I noticed the yard is excessively wet for the amount of rain we've received. I was squishing around when I walked. Parts of it looked like grub damage, so I got my shovel out and cut some sod stripes up in random spots across the yard, and I couldn't find a single grub. Then I started to think maybe it was a nitrogen deficiency? This is the ONLY yard in this subdivision like this, not a single other yard had this problem. I drove around creeper style looking across all the yards.

Any ideas what this may be?? Any and all help is appreciated. And I'm sorry if this is the wrong area to post this.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/ScreaminRT/IMG_0223.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/ScreaminRT/IMG_0224.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/ScreaminRT/IMG_0225.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/ScreaminRT/IMG_0226.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/ScreaminRT/IMG_0227.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/ScreaminRT/IMG_0228.jpg

RigglePLC
10-07-2009, 07:53 AM
Bluegrass or rye or both? Was it dry before recent rains? irrigated? If this is not the case I vote fungus.

If it is green in the shade and brown in the sun, brown on the sunny side of trees where roots extend out, even browner where it has full sun, then I suspect dryness from past weeks.

Smallaxe
10-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Looks like unirrigated sand that isn't properly cared for.

Screamin!
10-07-2009, 02:37 PM
There is no irrigation system. It's a combonation of bluegrass and rye. We had a pretty decent drought lately, and the past 2 weeks we've been getting lots of rain, and HEAVY morning dews.

I think I may power-rake it, bring in just a little fresh dirt, and re-seed it with an overseed mixture. Unless you guys think I should put down any chemicals first, and then re-seed it?

RAlmaroad
10-07-2009, 02:58 PM
That last photo has a streak going down the middle. Would fungus do that? I don't think so. Does your client have it professionally fertilized maintained? Looks like it may have had the wrong herbicide applied. Why don't you inquire to client as to whom and when was the last application and check. If a pro did the work, maybe he still has the tag/flag info. Looks chemically suspicious. Notice the parameters in other photos and heavier loss about where an overlap might have occurred. Photo 3 even has a dead streak (from a dripping hose?) I'd investigate before reseeding...It may have had an overdose of pre-em...

Screamin!
10-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Ok. So I spoke with the landlord again, she informed me there is an irrigation system. Also, it was prodessonally fertilized, but when the new tenats moved in the applications stopped. The last application was in June; and she started noticing it in July... The line in the third picture was from some kind trench they dug for what I'm assuming is the sump pump, it runs the whole duration on the yard.
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
10-08-2009, 05:20 AM
Did the tenants run the irrigation? It a water issue, compounded by a thick layer of thatch.

Screamin!
10-08-2009, 11:32 AM
So how what would be the steps to correct it? I've never encountered anything like this.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
10-08-2009, 12:03 PM
First thing to do is get a soil sample.

It could be

1.) Fungus
2.) PH
3.) etc....

A soil sample will be the only way to truly know what's going on to make the best corrections.

If you are on a time constraint and the owner wants something done now, then I would either heavily power rake the dead areas and aerate the whole thing, then over-seed. It's getting late in the season, and they're calling for frost in the next few days here in IL, so you might want to wait until spring to tear up the lawn.

Screamin!
10-09-2009, 08:44 PM
First thing to do is get a soil sample.

It could be

1.) Fungus
2.) PH
3.) etc....

A soil sample will be the only way to truly know what's going on to make the best corrections.

If you are on a time constraint and the owner wants something done now, then I would either heavily power rake the dead areas and aerate the whole thing, then over-seed. It's getting late in the season, and they're calling for frost in the next few days here in IL, so you might want to wait until spring to tear up the lawn.

Two things.

One, can I send a soil sample to the U of I Extension office for testing? I've never tested soil yet.

Second, when is the dead line to plant new seed? I've had 2 calls in the past week looking grass seed to be planted. One is a yard I prepped in mid summer, and he finally is getting back with me. I feel were 2 weeks to late, but I'm just now starting to get into smaller landscape jobs. I've pretty much been a maintenance man my whole career.

White Gardens
10-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Two things.

One, can I send a soil sample to the U of I Extension office for testing? I've never tested soil yet.

Second, when is the dead line to plant new seed? I've had 2 calls in the past week looking grass seed to be planted. One is a yard I prepped in mid summer, and he finally is getting back with me. I feel were 2 weeks to late, but I'm just now starting to get into smaller landscape jobs. I've pretty much been a maintenance man my whole career.

The extension office has kits to send samples off to a lab. I think it's around 15 dollars or so. Luckily I have a lab 45 minutes from me, so if I have a bunch of samples I take them in personally.

Even if you do a sample now, it can take 4-6 weeks to get the results. Depends on how many ag sample they have to process, and that rush is in the spring and fall.

It's about 3-4 weeks too late to plant seed. We are looking at multiple nights below freezing (hard frost) around here the next week, so any seedlings not established are going to die.

I just seen that you are around the Chicago Heights area, I'd say you are way too late for seeding. I'm sure you guys will probably be in the 20's for low temps this week.

White Gardens
10-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Another question,

I know you said you dug around and found no grubs, but could you pull the turf up like a piece of carpet in the dead areas ?? That usually signals grub damage or some sort of root decline.

Kiril
10-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Looks like a water issue to me. I second the soil test suggestion and will also suggest getting some compost in there ASAP and verifying the irrigation system is functioning properly. If you don't know how to do this, sub it out.

Green Pastures
10-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Looks like there is a problem with the camera....

Kiril
10-10-2009, 10:21 AM

Do we have a new disease? SHS - shaky hand syndrome.

Screamin!
10-11-2009, 12:44 PM

Yea, it was off my stupid iPhone...... Which is now gone, due to my getting irritated with it and smashing it with a hammer.

White Gardens -

I did walk around the yard pulling on it, and it wasn't at all like carpet. That's the first thing I do to any yard to test for grubs. I'll get the soil test sent off Monday, and hopefully get some results back soon.

Thanks to all who have helped me so far.

anotherturfgeek
10-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Really, a soil sample will tell the tale. I just re-done a yard like that. The soil was basically sub soil, no nutrients what-so ever for the grass to feed on. Do exactly what it recommends and your client will be thrilled with the results...