PDA

View Full Version : straw blowing

cclllc
06-13-2000, 08:32 PM
Hey guys,I was wondering about how many square feet will a bale of straw cover and is there a formula for figuring this.Thanks in advance.John<p>----------<br>www.customcutlawnsllc.homestead.com<br>mow$$$@mail.com<p><br>&lt;font size=&quot;1&quot;&gt;Edited by: cclllc<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: cclllc

fordlawn
06-16-2000, 04:51 PM
This question depends on a lot of variables,size and compactness of bales,depth of spreading,type of straw,etc. but as a general rule of thumb I estimate 100 bales per acre if spread by machine and 150 bales per acre if spread by hand. Hope this helps.

cclllc
06-23-2000, 10:35 PM
How much do you charge to blow straw?<br>

fordlawn
06-25-2000, 09:16 AM
labor,equipment,overhead and profit costs run in the range of $0.015 to 0.02 cents per square foot(for sites 0.5 to 1.0 acres). straw costs in my area run $2.00-2.75 per bale. I use a Goosen pto driven straw blower. Using a truck or trailer mount blower would yield more production and lower application costs. Anything over an acre I usually sub to a local nursery that has the bigger equipment. I only use straw on seeded sites if the application is done May-mid August. I have gone strictly to hydroseeding in the early spring,late summer and fall. Proper seedbed preparation will yield the same results with either method during these periods and with hydroseeding you don't have to worry about the extra labor and wind blowing the straw away. I always supply the seed and specify additional mulch when contracting with a hydroseeder.