PDA

View Full Version : Starting in the spring, Couple questions?

mgt379
10-07-2009, 11:15 AM
I and a business partner are going to start a professional landscaping business this spring but I have a couple of questions. Both of us have done it here and there but never as a business. I currently work for the athletics department at my college maintaining the football, soccer and baseball fields

Who do I talk to about what licenses are needed in CT?

Do I ask a lawyer to write me up contracts or should I write one myself?

Would you recommend taking out a loan to start with? Roughly about 15-20k to get all of the equipment right the first time?

Do you see good results from running an advertisement in the newspaper?

Any other suggestions?

mgt379
10-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Anyone? Anything?

Allens LawnCare
10-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Being in CT you have to file with the Sec of State, google doing business in CT, theres a ton of info that will help......how is your business structured, LLC, Corp, S Corp, Inc.....talk to an accountant about what's best for the two of you. Insurance is pretty cheap, check out Utica First out of New York....As far as the loan goes, buy some good used equipment, Save the money until you see what direction your new business is heading. 15-20k in this market won't get you as much as you think...10k of it goes to a new Z, add a walkbehind, push mower trimmers, blowers...the basics and your at 16-17k before you know it. That doesn't even include Truck, trailer,Blower holder, Trimmer holder, truck loader(For Cleanups), dethatchers,Push Blowers, Edgers ect....the list goes on and on. What are you going to offer, aerating, fert...tons of stuff go into it!

Jmart90
10-07-2009, 11:31 PM
would you guys say going new is the best idea for starting a business? I had read an article which said one of the problems with failing landscaping businesses is that they go out and spend all they're money on a new truck, new mower, and everything else, top of the line....

Where as, if you bought a used walk behind with plenty of life left, and all the other stuff used and good condit.

so whats safer???

(Sorry if this is hi-jacking your thread, I just felt it was relevant lol, once i get my answer I'll be done.)

Thanks.

-Jeff

mgt379
10-07-2009, 11:52 PM
we have alot of useable items already sucha s walk behind blowers, edger, rototiller, trailer and a zero turn, the 20k was going to go to 2 dumptrucks with blows @ 13k and a $4000 scag

ZKSLAWN
10-08-2009, 12:54 AM
why do you need 2 dump trucks right now.. why not just start with one. and than just a normal pickup?

Allens LawnCare
10-08-2009, 08:36 AM
we have alot of useable items already sucha s walk behind blowers, edger, rototiller, trailer and a zero turn, the 20k was going to go to 2 dumptrucks with blows @ 13k and a $4000 scag

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but 13k for two dump trucks with plows...do you plan on having them around for a while. 6.5k for a dump with a plow sounds way to good to be true.

hackitdown
10-08-2009, 08:57 AM
Think about your target market, and the equipment required to offer the services they want. Dumptrucks are good for plowing parking lots, but driveways are tight. Regular pickups will do residential plowing easier. The Scag may make sense as a match with a ZTR, but you may not need a 2nd mower for a long time.

MarkintheGarden
10-08-2009, 12:03 PM
I and a business partner are going to start a professional landscaping business this spring but I have a couple of questions. Both of us have done it here and there but never as a business. I currently work for the athletics department at my college maintaining the football, soccer and baseball fields

Who do I talk to about what licenses are needed in CT?

Do I ask a lawyer to write me up contracts or should I write one myself?

Would you recommend taking out a loan to start with? Roughly about 15-20k to get all of the equipment right the first time?

Do you see good results from running an advertisement in the newspaper?

Any other suggestions?

Regarding contracts, it all depends on who you are contracting with and what are you contracting for. I write my own contracts for yearly lawn services, if I had a lawyer write them they would certainly be more enforceable in court, but perhaps less understood by my customers. For me, the most important thing about the paperwork is the understanding that is created between me and my customer, I am not concerned how well it will hold up in court.

Concerning loans, sometimes dealers offer good terms for purchase and may be the better way to go. As far as getting the equipment right the first time, that all depends on how well you can predict what kind of work you will be doing.

Newspaper ads can get you running all over town to meet with all the wrong kind of potential customer. A good flier, that represents a good company image delivered door to door works well and gets you customers where you want them.

Good luck

mgt379
10-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Maybe I'm reading it wrong but 13k for two dump trucks with plows...do you plan on having them around for a while. 6.5k for a dump with a plow sounds way to good to be true.

One of them is an 97 obs f350 powerstroke with 60k miles for 8500 the other one is older 89 130k miles needs a paint job on the cab for 5000 so i was taking into account bargaining and such both have plows

mgt379
10-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Regarding contracts, it all depends on who you are contracting with and what are you contracting for. I write my own contracts for yearly lawn services, if I had a lawyer write them they would certainly be more enforceable in court, but perhaps less understood by my customers. For me, the most important thing about the paperwork is the understanding that is created between me and my customer, I am not concerned how well it will hold up in court.

Concerning loans, sometimes dealers offer good terms for purchase and may be the better way to go. As far as getting the equipment right the first time, that all depends on how well you can predict what kind of work you will be doing.

Newspaper ads can get you running all over town to meet with all the wrong kind of potential customer. A good flier, that represents a good company image delivered door to door works well and gets you customers where you want them.

Good luck

Thanks! I was thinking that a loan would be easier becuase i would be making one payment insted of 4 diffrent various payments. but thats just me

MarkintheGarden
10-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks! I was thinking that a loan would be easier becuase i would be making one payment insted of 4 diffrent various payments. but thats just me

I agree, but the same dealer may be able to supply what you need on the same account. It just depends on what loan options are available. Your loan amount is small enough to limit your options. But I am not an expert on loans.

What I said about newspaper ads does not apply to smaller town situations, where the cost is less and readership is all within a serviceable area.