PDA

View Full Version : Good Weedeater & Blower

Jmart90
10-07-2009, 06:32 PM
hi,

So I'm gonna step up my lawn care this year and hopefully get about 12-20 clients( I'm at 8 right now)

But I'm gonna need some more gear, right now I just mow and occassionally get my hands on a weed eater and don't have anything other than the lawn mower to blow grass.

So what are some good weed eaters and leaf blowers that are reliable, yet not so hard on the wallet?

Also, what other items would I need? right now I just have a mower and that's all I've been using ahha, I have rakes, showels, and that's it. so what else could come in handy?

Thanks.

-Jeff

juventuscadillac
10-07-2009, 08:34 PM
here: http://tinyurl.com/y89xapr

JB1
10-07-2009, 08:38 PM
hi,

so i'm gonna step up my lawn care this year and hopefully get about 12-20 clients( i'm at 8 right now)

but i'm gonna need some more gear, right now i just mow and occassionally get my hands on a weed eater and don't have anything other than the lawn mower to blow grass.

So what are some good weed eaters and leaf blowers that are reliable, yet not so hard on the wallet?

Also, what other items would i need? Right now i just have a mower and that's all i've been using ahha, i have rakes, showels, and that's it. So what else could come in handy?

Thanks.

-jeff

can't beat sears.

93Chevy
10-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Check out the websites of these major 2 cycle equipment manufactures.

Echo
Red Max
Shindaiwa
Tanaka
Stihl

Look at the specs. If you have questions about the specs, feel free to ask.

Jmart90
10-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Check out the websites of these major 2 cycle equipment manufactures.

Echo
Red Max
Shindaiwa
Tanaka
Stihl

Look at the specs. If you have questions about the specs, feel free to ask.

Thanks, this is really the kind of answer i was hoping for, I'm looking to learn mroe about equipment, all I know is I friggin love toro and hate what happens to poorly maintained Walker mowers haha.

adrian
10-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Kawasaki makes pretty good equipment for the money

vharman4
10-08-2009, 11:39 AM
i run all stihl blowers and trimmers... i have had NO problems with them in the last 2 seasons.. and they have an good warranty.. oh and i am pretty hard on them as well so they can take some abuse

BGClawns101
10-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Ok so i am going to tell you i tell everyone else get STIHL professional equipment. I never have problems with mine. My dad has a sthil trimmer that is 15 years old and has been ran over twice and it always starts on the first pull. But make sure you get you professional grade equipment. My friend gets his stuff from sears and he will by a trimmer for 120 buck but he gets like two a summer cause they all break. If you spend 400 on a trimmer it will last you forever and the same thing goes with blowers and mower just go with the professional equipment. i hope this helped.

Jmart90
10-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Ok so i am going to tell you i tell everyone else get STIHL professional equipment. I never have problems with mine. My dad has a sthil trimmer that is 15 years old and has been ran over twice and it always starts on the first pull. But make sure you get you professional grade equipment. My friend gets his stuff from sears and he will by a trimmer for 120 buck but he gets like two a summer cause they all break. If you spend 400 on a trimmer it will last you forever and the same thing goes with blowers and mower just go with the professional equipment. i hope this helped.

Thanks, this (and all others) helped a lot.

Yea I've used Stihl Trimmers, Blowers, and chain saws at work, and we've never had a problem with any of them, that's why I want to go for it.

And I suppose Canadian tire would be a bad spot to go wouldn't it? haha.

Thanks for the advice, professional it is!

sehitchman
10-08-2009, 06:27 PM
hi,

So I'm gonna step up my lawn care this year and hopefully get about 12-20 clients( I'm at 8 right now)

Thanks.

-Jeff

I read this as I'm 8 right now, and was WTH is he doing mowing 12-20 yards! Had to go back and read again since everyone was giving good advice.

tamadrummer
10-08-2009, 06:38 PM
I run 100% Stihl hand held now.

I would recommend that you go with the

FS 100 RX for your trimmer

and the

BR420 for your Blower unless you are doing leaves if you are doing leaves then the BR600 is a must!

You are looking at spending about $700 if you can get the dealer to work with you a bit if not, plan on about $750 - $800

Hope this helps

93Chevy
10-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Don't drink the orange kool aid.

Get Red Max or Shindy!

Jmart90
10-08-2009, 08:03 PM
I read this as I'm 8 right now, and was WTH is he doing mowing 12-20 yards! Had to go back and read again since everyone was giving good advice.

hah, when I read this I was like "wtf? I'm a university student writing a thesis!" then I realized what you were talking about haha.

I run 100% Stihl hand held now.

I would recommend that you go with the

FS 100 RX for your trimmer

and the

BR420 for your Blower unless you are doing leaves if you are doing leaves then the BR600 is a must!

You are looking at spending about $700 if you can get the dealer to work with you a bit if not, plan on about $750 - $800

Hope this helps

I actually had just finished financing stuff and predicted exactly that haha.

Tama eh? never been a fan hah, I'm a Mapex fan, but my newest DW is what I've been in love with haha. how long you been playing drums?

EDIT:

That a DT tatoo ya got in your DP???

If so, you and I are going to be good friends... hah

tamadrummer
10-08-2009, 08:27 PM
hah, when I read this I was like "wtf? I'm a university student writing a thesis!" then I realized what you were talking about haha.

I actually had just finished financing stuff and predicted exactly that haha.

Tama eh? never been a fan hah, I'm a Mapex fan, but my newest DW is what I've been in love with haha. how long you been playing drums?

EDIT:

That a DT tatoo ya got in your DP???

If so, you and I are going to be good friends... hah

Yes, that is a DT tat and I play only Tama Starclassic drums and Sabian cymbals. I am a Portnoy freak....lol.

I have used Pearl (multiple levels of shell quality) all were good as well as Mapex. Nothing wrong with any of them but since the guy I idolize uses Tama and Sabial and Lp that is what I use...:cool2:

Jmart90
10-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Yes, that is a DT tat and I play only Tama Starclassic drums and Sabian cymbals. I am a Portnoy freak....lol.

I have used Pearl (multiple levels of shell quality) all were good as well as Mapex. Nothing wrong with any of them but since the guy I idolize uses Tama and Sabial and Lp that is what I use...:cool2:

Yea I figured they were starclassics after I saw the Tat haha. I'd love a nice 4 piece starclassic kit hah, Sabian is also my pref when it comes to cymbals (given the fact that I live a few hours from the sabian HQ/factory lol.)

SchaffLandscaping
10-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Red Max is awesome for blowers. Cannot go wrong with it. Best for fall cleanups also in my opinion, but not easy on the wallet so I am not sure that is good advice. Kawasaki trimmers, are nice and light. I use a Shindaiwa trimmer and really like it. Make sure you get the speed feed option on your trimmer makes a big difference in time. Bottom line is don't skimp on what you get, if you buy cheap stuff it will break and it is more frustrating than its worth. Sometimes spending a little more goes a long way.

vanncann
10-09-2009, 12:40 AM
Tanaka has never let me down in my 20+ years using them.

BGClawns101
10-09-2009, 09:11 AM
ok i have a kawasaki trimmer and it is terrible i hate it the head on the trimmer doesnt feed the string well at all. Redmax isnt bad but plan on replacing the carb after a couple years those carbs go bad in no time. LIKE I SAID YOU WILL NEVER GO WRONG WITH STIHL.

clean_cut
10-09-2009, 09:53 AM
can't beat sears.

Sears??? It's all junk there...

Home Depot has the quality stuff. :rolleyes: Just Kidding

Any of the major brands will do good, kawasaki, redmax, sthil, echo...
It mostly comes down to personal prefrence and dealer avalibiliy.

You also said you didn't want to spend too much, well they'll be pricy, aound $300 for a trimmer, and $400-$500 for a blower. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Jmart90
10-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Thanks again for the help so far, i appreciate it.

And I'm wondering if a blower is really an asset? could I not just bring a broom and sweep the grass of walk ways and driveways?

Centurion
10-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Echo makes an awesome string trimmer. Dont buy the ones from Home Depot goto a dealer and get the commercial one's. I have an SRM 3100 that I have been using for more then 9 years and it does an awesome job. Stihl makes great blowers. They have alot of power, are balanced and aren't real heavy. I had a BG 85 and it ripped. I also had an Echo PB 603, lots of power but very heavy.

Hope this was helpful. I would pay more now then risk buying a new one every year from sears.

TheKonz
10-13-2009, 03:56 PM

And I'm wondering if a blower is really an asset? could I not just bring a broom and sweep the grass of walk ways and driveways?

You could but you are going to waste a lot of time and it looks better when you blow it off.

Jay Ray
10-13-2009, 06:35 PM
imo quality in the 2-cycle equipment department is more important initally than having a commercial mower.

Cheap 2-cycle stuff will cause a lot more headaches. You can mow realiably (albeit slowly) with a LT, but cheap 2-cycle will drive you nuts.

As recommended above, buy at a dealer and $700 for a good trimmer and blower will be a lucky day.

Jay Ray
10-13-2009, 06:46 PM

Even a handheld blower will save a lot of time. I carry a Stihl BG55 and a BR600 backpack. Sometimes the BG55 is plenty. Also carry a push broom and corn broom in the tool rack -- use one once in a great while, but the brooms are mostly for show:laugh:

I started with a Poulan Walmart blower and it worked, but it don't even have a trigger -- just a high, medium, and low setting. Drank fuel and was very loud. Much faster than a broom however:laugh: The jug bolts kept coming loose on it and it started hard but still ran -- once I learned the symptoms I could disassemble the case and tighten it up fairly fast, but it always happened when it was going to rain any second -- and you really wanted to use a blower rather than borrow the customer's garden hose to clean up with.

castlerockmo
10-13-2009, 08:53 PM
I have ran nothin but husqvarna. Very good to me! Never had a problem
Posted via Mobile Device

Jhill19
10-14-2009, 04:01 PM

Push broom gets old fast. I started with a 70 dollar weedeater brand blower from lowes. Since then I have purchased and stihl handheld and a br600. Work your way up to the big stuff.

Jmart90
10-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Push broom gets old fast. I started with a 70 dollar weedeater brand blower from lowes. Since then I have purchased and stihl handheld and a br600. Work your way up to the big stuff.

That's the game plan right there haha

Kennedy Landscaping
10-14-2009, 06:35 PM
I've got a poulan pro blower from the local hardware store. Bought that a couple of summers ago.its worked great for me. Last season about this time I got a stihl br550 and love it. But before all of this I had an old craftsman blower that I used. I still have it and use it for my leaf shredder now. It still runs like a champ. My poulan set me back like 120 bucks. Now I think they're down till like 100 or even cheaper now though. The 550 on the other hand will set you back about 450 though. They're expensive but in my opinion you can't beat the quality and power. Hope this helps you put some. Keep us posted
Posted via Mobile Device

mdlwn1
10-14-2009, 06:38 PM
a rabbit and a prostitue

tropical breeze
10-15-2009, 11:01 AM
buy what you can and keep your over head down. thats the name of the game. As you grow then improve equipment. get a blower and weedeater but dont over spend what happens if a mower breaks down.