PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke piston stop - where to find?

loafycleetus
10-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Hello all, I have been lurking around on this site for awhile reading about all of the issues and problems that have gone under the scope and dissected until a resolution is found. Quite frankly I love the mystery of the problem and the satisfaction of a fix! Thanks to all for your knowledge!

Now to my question, I have looked high and low for a piston stop that fits through the spark plug hole and does NOT thread in. I have seen them in the Stihl shop and of course I get "you can't buy one from here" line of BS.
I am aware that there are ways to do without but I would rather have the right tool for the job. As an ex GM tech for 5 years I am quite anal in that regard.

Do any of you guys know of a place where I could get one? Thanks! Matt

ed2hess
10-07-2009, 10:46 PM
I am curious what you need that for.....I work on a lot of 2 stroke Echo trimmers and blowers and never needed one. I replace bearings seals clutches etc etc..:confused:

mowerknower
10-07-2009, 11:28 PM
Your Stihl Dealer can order one for you. If not call the next dealer. If they wont get you one then take a peice of starter rope and put it down the plug hole.\
And to ED2hess, try working on a Stihl, put the air wrench on the clutch or flywheel and you will sheer the key.

loafycleetus
10-07-2009, 11:37 PM
It is for a Stihl 029 super at the moment... MowerKnower, I guess my dealer is worthless when it comes to helping the DIY guy.

mowerknower
10-07-2009, 11:46 PM
If I remember tomorrow, I will get the part number for it. Then just call them up and order it by number, they wont know any better

loafycleetus
10-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the help1

ricky86
10-08-2009, 12:35 AM
0000 893 5903 Locking Strip. They will break if not seated EXACTLY. You will find that the rope trick is the safest method. I have tried all types, and still go back to the 12" peice of #6 recoil rope. Used it 3 times today and one repair was a clutch removal / install on a Stihl 088.

loafycleetus
10-08-2009, 12:42 AM
Just stuff it in the hole, leaving a bit sticking out? I wouldn't have thought that it would be thick enough but I guess all it is doing is keeping it from going to TDC. I'll give it a shot later today. Thanks!

Two Seasons
10-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Yeah, the rope works.

Used that trick when I did valve stem oil seal job to keep the valves in place.

ed2hess
10-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Your Stihl Dealer can order one for you. If not call the next dealer. If they wont get you one then take a peice of starter rope and put it down the plug hole.\
And to ED2hess, try working on a Stihl, put the air wrench on the clutch or flywheel and you will sheer the key.
I put a wrench on the clutch side to hold it when removing the flywheel nut.....can't you do that on Stihl?

mowerknower
10-09-2009, 01:36 AM
What do you do when you need to pull the clutch

loafycleetus
10-09-2009, 01:11 PM
worked like a champ for me! There really is no reason for debate, just do what works for you. I like the rope cause the price was right. I appreciate it.

matt9923
10-09-2009, 01:22 PM
I have one i will sell for cheaper then eBay or dealer?

But to be honest the thread in piston stop is the worst method. Rope is ok if you do it right but the piston stop you hold in place is the correct method that the techs use in the shop. Iv seen many pistons with hole's in them and bent rod's from rope and screw in stops.

ed2hess
10-09-2009, 07:28 PM
What do you do when you need to pull the clutch

Use big channel locks to grasp the two shoes on outside part that isn't in pad area and use socket to loosen the two bolts.

ricky86
10-09-2009, 07:55 PM
I have one i will sell for cheaper then eBay or dealer?

But to be honest the thread in piston stop is the worst method. Rope is ok if you do it right but the piston stop you hold in place is the correct method that the techs use in the shop. Iv seen many pistons with hole's in them and bent rod's from rope and screw in stops.

Bent rod from rope?????????????????????????????????? And I am a tech and use the rope method every day. I would not have recommended it if there was a problem with it. I guess it all depends who's attempting the procedure.

ed2hess
10-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Bent rod from rope?????????????????????????????????? And I am a tech and use the rope method every day. I would not have recommended it if there was a problem with it. I guess it all depends who's attempting the procedure.

I don't want to beat a dead horse here but I don't think it is a good idea of putting big time stress on those needle bearings on the crank and the piston end. Is that what the manufactures recommend?

ricky86
10-10-2009, 11:52 PM
That's ridiculous. And how much stress is applied at ignition and the power stroke? The rope gives a cushion, if anything, over a hard piston stop. You can do what ever you want. Some people are only capable of learning the hard way.