PDA

View Full Version : Paver Splitters

Woodland
10-08-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm looking for a paver splitter to add to my tool chest. Who makes these at a decent price and quality. I have an old price list from pavetech, but nothing recent and I don't see on there website where you can buy direct from them. I have purchased a few items from Bon Tool before and I see they sell a Paver & Brick Buster for $366, but it seems a little akward to use. They also have a Paver & Wall Cap Splitter for just under $1k that seems to be more user friendly. Has anyone used either of these? Are there better brands or better deals available?? Also, while were on the subject, how clean of a cut do these make? I am used to using a diamond blade, but would like to cut down on the noise & dust as much as possible, but not at the expense of a lot more work or less quality.

Stone Creations
10-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Do they have there place in the market...yes...for homeowners...if your looking to get paid for the job please use a saw..if your being cost conservative..use a 7' makita angle grinder =about $160....+ average diamond blade=$80= $240...better results than a paver splitter....unless your looking for a rough edge..but then again you can just use your chisel...

LB1234
10-09-2009, 10:56 AM
bought the bon tool block splitter. right around a grand in cost if I remember right...maybe close to thirteen. if you are going to be doing a lot of wall with corners and caps with edges than yes, this is the way to go. the time it takes you to split is so so so much quicker than a chisel and hammer. not to mention that I believe it gives a better edge than a hand chisel or hammer.

sven1277
10-11-2009, 05:46 PM
I have a pavetech splitter. Paid around $1600 3 yrs ago. I use it as much as possible on walls and pavers. They are fine for pavers as long as you aren't trying to take a sliver off. Any rough edges are hidden with the joint sand. I'm picky with the finish look of my work, and I split as much as I can before I use the wet saw. The splits are cheaper, quicker, and quieter than using a saw.

Woodland
10-15-2009, 06:41 AM
Any other thoughts??

paponte
10-16-2009, 07:49 PM
We don't split any pavers, just walls and caps. Use a saw for cutting pavers, on tumbled we rough up the edges with a hammer after cutting.