PDA

View Full Version : Pre-M on new zoysia

MowMan66
10-08-2009, 06:06 PM
I laid some zoysia late in the season at a few accounts and was wondering what, if any, Pre-M would be safe. The sod has rooted but not too deep. I can pull it up still. A few yards were laid at the end of August and a few at the end of July. I am licensed but only treat my full service accounts.

greendoctor
10-09-2009, 03:37 AM
If you laid sod and it is thick, I do not expect much in the way of weeds, especially if what was underneath was properly killed. Otherwise, around new zoysia, I prefer simazine or Gallery. Gallery lasts longer, but has almost no activity against grassy weeds. Pre-M or herbicides with a related MOA, will prune the roots of the sod before they have had a chance to establish. In zoysia, I actually do not sweat emerged weeds very much. That is one of the most herbicide tolerant warm season grasses. Do not know of many weeds that survives a Turflon Ester and Acclaim tank mix. The zoysia survives this just fine.

MowMan66
10-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Thanks Greendoctor. I was leaning to Simazine as well. I use it on my fall apps but didn't't know if I should just skip the sod this fall. I did a total kill but he told me he had allot of poa this spring so I know the seed is there. I think I'll give it a shot of simazine. It's very clean right now, no broad or grassy weeds. I just worried about the poa. Thanks again.