PDA

View Full Version : acres per hour (ride-on sprayer/spreaders)

americanlawn
10-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Figure .... 5.2 mph with a 12 foot effective spray/spread pattern while operating a "ride-on unit".

How many 'acres per hour' does this equal out to be?

rscvp, thanks :waving:

rcreech
10-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Figure .... 5.2 mph with a 12 foot effective spray/spread pattern while operating a "ride-on unit".

How many 'acres per hour' does this equal out to be?

rscvp, thanks :waving:

Larry,

First there is no lawn where you can avg 5.2 mph....because remember you have to stop and fill and turn on the ends!

Depending on the lawn....I can usually get somewhere betweeh 2-3.5acres/hour. That does include filling, but not drive time.

I would say just guessing that nobody will avg over 3-3.5 mph once filling and turning is figured in...but that is just a wild guess! That is why I questioned Turfobob a while back about their bogus math on their literature! If you drive in a straight line and never slow down or fill then you can cover big acreage...but remember in the real world you have to slow down and fill! :)

What do you think?

Josh.S
10-08-2009, 10:36 PM
If you could travel at 5.2 miles per hour for a straight hour.

(27456 feet per hour * 12 feet wide) = 329472 sq feet per hour.

329472 divided by 43560 = 7.56 acres per hour

Of course this is not even remotely possible but that should answer your question. :)

grassman177
10-08-2009, 11:05 PM
oh you two!!!!!

RigglePLC
10-08-2009, 11:20 PM
Mow right is correct. 7.56 is the maximum possible. But that assumes you filled on the fly and never had to slow down for anything.

How many minutes does it take you to empty your hopper? How many sqft do you cover in that time?
For me, 50 pounds in 8 minutes.

sprayboy
10-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Larry,

First there is no lawn where you can avg 5.2 mph....because remember you have to stop and fill and turn on the ends!

Depending on the lawn....I can usually get somewhere betweeh 2-3.5acres/hour. That does include filling, but not drive time.

I would say just guessing that nobody will avg over 3-3.5 mph once filling and turning is figured in...but that is just a wild guess! That is why I questioned Turfobob a while back about their bogus math on their literature! If you drive in a straight line and never slow down or fill then you can cover big acreage...but remember in the real world you have to slow down and fill! :)

What do you think?

creech,

That is the numbers I usually get with my max.
I have a 30 acre property, w/c only. I run at 5mph, would go faster but it is pretty rough. It takes about an hour to fill and spray 50 gal, 3.5 acres. As you are saying, sometimes it takes a little time to get back to the truck.

grassman177
10-09-2009, 07:36 PM
i have to run my zsprays at 5.5 mph with 30 psi to get right on with app rates. sure does differ out there. most of you run 5mph on here i take it, but what psi are u using?

americanlawn
10-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Thanks guys - now this is making sense. It's no wonder why we have treated 1700 K in one day with one machine. We fill liquid at nearly 8 gpm -- throw in 100 lbs of fert in the hopper while waiting for the tanks to fill = less than five minutes. BTW we use "quick couplers" to fill our tanks so we don't have to "babysit" while filling liquid.

I'll try to post picks soon of our "quick couplers". Sorry Mow Right - I'll take pics soon.

Okay -- our "quick fill" = installing a "tank bung" in the top of the tanks. 1/2, 5/8, one inch .. depending on what you want. Then add the quick-disconnect fittings. BTW you don't want to use a 90 degree fitting cuz product will leak out a little.

Just hoping folks don't think I'm smokin' crack, cuz I have now shown how things are possible if one uses "Yankee ingenuity". :usflag:

sprayboy
10-09-2009, 09:52 PM
i have to run my zsprays at 5.5 mph with 30 psi to get right on with app rates. sure does differ out there. most of you run 5mph on here i take it, but what psi are u using?

I run mine down at about 28.

sprayboy
10-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks guys - now this is making sense. It's no wonder why we have treated 1700 K in one day with one machine. We fill liquid at nearly 8 gpm -- throw in 100 lbs of fert in the hopper while waiting for the tanks to fill = less than five minutes. BTW we use "quick couplers" to fill our tanks so we don't have to "babysit" while filling liquid.

I'll try to post picks soon of our "quick couplers". Sorry Mow Right - I'll take pics soon.

Okay -- our "quick fill" = installing a "tank bung" in the top of the tanks. 1/2, 5/8, one inch .. depending on what you want. Then add the quick-disconnect fittings. BTW you don't want to use a 90 degree fitting cuz product will leak out a little.

Just hoping folks don't think I'm smokin' crack, cuz I have now shown how things are possible if one uses "Yankee ingenuity". :usflag:

I have used the quick couplers for 6 years.

ted putnam
10-09-2009, 11:17 PM
1 guy with 1 truck that was moved only once spread about 20 bags of fert over a 20 acre cemetery. So about 1 bag/acre and you have a 100lb hopper so thats 10 trips back to the truck for fert... minimum...through a 20 acre cemetery(basically a maze of headstones). I suppose he only ran out of fert when he was close to the truck.:rolleyes:All headstones are in line and exactly 12 ft apart so no trim work was necessary. I'm sure you have it calibrated to run out of liquid at the same time you run out of fert. That way there's no wasted trips back to the truck. Oh wait, he skipped clean areas with the spray so that didn't happen...:laugh::dizzy: This ship of dreams has so many holes in it, it's kinda funny watching you try to keep it afloat!

grassman177
10-10-2009, 12:42 AM
8gpm is not all that fast or big, separate discussion here. we are getting 9-10 gpm out of our hypro D-30 pumps straight into our z's. gets done really fast. never actually timed it, but running at max and that is what it should give us. so in that math, it should take 5 to 6 min tops to fill my z max.

ted putnam
10-10-2009, 01:53 AM
Assuming that your equipment is already running and you leave it running and your quick connects are hooked up instantaniously when you arrive at your fill area, you would still burn up 1.25 hrs in fill time only. add another 15 minutes drive time for moving the truck and drive time between stops and "poof" your actual application time has now been reduced from 7.5 to 6 hrs. You expect everyone to believe you treated 39 acres in 6 hrs(6.5 acres/hr), half of which is a cemetery with headstones scattered everywhere. Dude, you're as full of sh!t as a Christmas Turkey. You may not be smoking crack but you need to quit drinking the bong water...

rcreech
10-10-2009, 09:04 AM
8gpm is not all that fast or big, separate discussion here. we are getting 9-10 gpm out of our hypro D-30 pumps straight into our z's. gets done really fast. never actually timed it, but running at max and that is what it should give us. so in that math, it should take 5 to 6 min tops to fill my z max.

Exactly!

My pump is 7 gpm...and it takes us about 7-8 minutes to fill, but that is enough liquid for 4.5 acres and I don't kill myself!!!!!!

When I had to load my PG every 20 minutes at 1 acre a pop...I killled myself to be effecient.

Now I just take my time and dump in the 4.5 bags of fert and good to go!

My fill time takes longer...but over the "long haul" it is much more effecient as stop 2-3 times less then the PG and/or T-3000.

rcreech
10-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks guys - now this is making sense. It's no wonder why we have treated 1700 K in one day with one machine. :usflag:

Larry,

I definitly don't think I am the smarted guy in the world...and I only have 5 years experience running ride on equipment, but I will tell you that I have VERY LARGE properties and have a machine that has a much larger capacity then yours (even with your aux tank). I am almost as effecient as I can possibly get.

I used to gain minutes and now only seconds on improved effeciencies.

I don't think you are telling us the whole story for some reason.

You started out using 54 bags of fert, and now 20. You started out treating a 20 acre cemetary and now you just hit the "weedy areas".

If you come on here with "crazy numbers"...don't get mad at us for questioning you...becasue we do this everyday also and know what can be done.

There is no way you can possibly go over 1700 K in a day with one machine.

If you can...I will fly out and see how you do it and I will buy your lunch! It would pay my plant ticket to learn how to increase my effeciency that much!

americanlawn
10-10-2009, 05:37 PM
I trust rcreech, so I just sent him a PM with the applicator's contact information (cell phone number)....rcreech knows him.

So rcreech, please call him and verify what he treated in one day. Then please post back on this thread. Also ask him if all areas could have been treated with a Z-Spray (he'll tell you his honest opinion). Keep in mind that both properties are located within a half mile of our shop. Also keep in mind that up to 7 1/2 acres per hour is the maximum....thanks Mow Right for this info.

Looking forward to rcreech's response, and I would also like to thank TURFCO for a well-built unit.

I definitly don't think I am the smarted guy in the world...and I only have 5 years experience running ride on equipment, but I will tell you that I have VERY LARGE properties and have a machine that has a much larger capacity then yours (even with your aux tank). I am almost as effecient as I can possibly get.

You started out using 54 bags of fert, and now 20. You started out treating a 20 acre cemetary and now you just hit the "weedy areas".

If you come on here with "crazy numbers"...don't get mad at us for questioning you...becasue we do this everyday also and know what can be done.

If you can...I will fly out and see how you do it and I will buy your lunch! It would pay my plant ticket to learn how to increase my effeciency that much![/QUOTE]

rcreech
10-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Larry,

I dont' really care about what people type of what people say they do.

I only care about the facts and true work!

40 acre is a 7.5 hour day is 5.3 acres/hour.

That can't be done IMO...because with filling and driving etc, it just can't be done consistently hour after hour.

You stated he didn't move the truck and he had to refill at the plant...so those numbers would even have to be higher!!!!

As stated, my machines holds almost 2x more product then yours and I still couldn't even come close to that!

No big deal Larry! Keep up the good work!

TurfRyder
10-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Larry,

If you can...I will fly out and see how you do it and I will buy your lunch! It would pay my plant ticket to learn how to increase my effeciency that much!

54 bags on a 20 acre site is a little low. I'd drop closer to 70.

You guys are also basing the calculations with a 12' spread. Spraying that wide you will always need favorable conditions. If its breezy you will need to overlap a bit more.

My Z intermediate is supposed to lay out a 10' spray pattern but anything past 8' can be hit or miss when it comes to getting a great kill rate and coverage.

With that said I average 1.5-2.5 acres an hour including travel and load times.

On larger sites with no travel time 3 acres an hour is about the best I can do. Reload times and being careful not to tear up lawns on turnarounds will always keep me near these numbers.

Personally I think the 1700K numbers posted are either fabricated by the applicator or he hacked his way through the site and got poor coverage.

americanlawn
10-12-2009, 07:19 PM
My mistake -- It took almost 9 hours to treat these properties. Did not mean to mislead anybody. The applicator kept running the whole time, and never took a break. The truck was moved four times all day. Sorry for the misinformation. 1700 K was done in one day by one person, one truck (no trailer). :laugh:

Part of the cemetery could not have been treated with a Z unless one used boomless nozzles with no spray bar.

Source: The applicator who did the work.