PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started

grassdude
10-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Hi...I am new here so I hope i don't embarrass myself. I am relocating my son from Michigan and starting him in the biz. Looking to start in the next season. I getting equipment here and there as I can afford it. His uncle has given him a new 24 hp Craftsman lawn tractor (I know it is not ideal but it is a start). Everybody I talk to has an opinion and i havent got the same one yet. I want to get him a ZTM and have been shopping (on line mostly) and reading reviews. Bad Boy seems to have the best "band for the buck" far as I can tell. Would I be making a mistake going with one of those? If so why and what would you recommend as a alternative? Thanks.

Staffordnurseries
10-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Since a zero turn can be delivered pretty quick, why not see how many customers you have and use the free one until then?

grassdude
10-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks for responding! I plan on doing just that but I also want to plan ahead. Everyone in my area (North Carolina) is telling me that the business will grow faster than I will expect. I am also doing a little behind the scenes marketing....already have 20 residential accounts lined up. I guess I wanted a recommendation for or against a Bad Boy.

Allens LawnCare
10-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Depends on your local dealers, you can have one shipped but who will do the warranty work, things do go wrong. It's all trial and error and your personal likings, Before you spring for a new ZTR look at a larger walkbehind. A little more affordable and you can throw a sulky or proslide on it. Depending on the yards you'll need a walk behind anyway.

grassdude
10-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks for your response......I haven't thought about that. Sounds like sage advise!

Kennedy Landscaping
10-17-2009, 06:46 AM
I wouldn't purchase a "ton" of equipment until it was justifiable. Just my opinion. Hope you have a good year.

grassdude
10-17-2009, 09:04 AM
I have purchased him the basic stuff he will need (I think). Got him a good trimmer (stihl 310), a stihl 550 blower, a echo edger (got it on sale). Got some time to shop for a trailer (although I am not sure what size/type to get). He can use my stuff as backup, although it is not commercial....I have rakes, shovels, hoes, axes, etc. With the mower I think that will get him going (unless I am missing something).

vanncann
10-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Check local pawn shops over the winter and you will find like new stuff at great deals. Just don't buy the first thing you find, shop around (@the pawn shops).

grassdude
10-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks vanncann......i notice you list both open and closed trailers......any pros or cons for the beginner on either one?

vanncann
10-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Open is easier access for you and thieves so all equipment has individual locks. The enclosed is for overnight trips and I won't real safety. It can still be broken into but what they get they have no idea.

Allens LawnCare
10-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Open or closed a thief will get what he wants. Just like they brake into shops etc...you need to think about the uses....I don't have a dump truck so I use my open for everything, boxed in for fall cleanups. Enclosed are great, you have a shop on wheels but are limited to useage

turtle
10-21-2009, 09:05 PM
I haven't tried them yet but it seems the new thing in mowers are standers. you get the both of both wb and ztr.

grassdude
10-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks for everyones input....i really appreciate it. One more question and I will leave you alone. Very close to me are two dealers......(a) Ferris/Bobcat/Redmax and (b) Gravely/Snapper/Stihl. Both are within 5 miles of my house. As far as I can tell both enjoy a solid reputation in the community. Any advantage of one over the other or does it simply become an issue of price?

Allens LawnCare
10-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Thanks for everyones input....i really appreciate it. One more question and I will leave you alone. Very close to me are two dealers......(a) Ferris/Bobcat/Redmax and (b) Gravely/Snapper/Stihl. Both are within 5 miles of my house. As far as I can tell both enjoy a solid reputation in the community. Any advantage of one over the other or does it simply become an issue of price?

MOVE.......Relocate, Must be a better dealer some where

grassdude
10-25-2009, 09:45 PM
LOL!!! I will take that to mean to shut up and get on with it! And my wife says I am not perceptive! Thanks Allen's and everyone else!

Premier landscaping south
10-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Just my 2 cents. I used a Lesco 36" hydro walk behind this year. Since I do mostly residential's with gated backyards, the mower has proved to be a good choice in my first year of buisness. The mower will fit through most small gates. Just something to think about.

One more tid bit. The only thing I do not like about my Lesco is the fixed deck. I do a lot of Bermuda lawns and it likes to scalp, if the yard has any low spots.

Hope this helps.
PLS

MarkintheGarden
10-27-2009, 11:47 AM

Get to know both of them, price is just one factor, customer service is another. It is probably a good idea to make purchases from both of them and develop relationships with both. You may need advice, or a repair done on a machine that you bought used, and some shops are better at this than others.

I find stihl to be the best bang for the buck for trimmers and blowers.

Standers and walk behinds are a good way to start unless you have, or know that you will have lots of large lawns to mow.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

grassdude
10-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Sounds like sage advise. I really appreciate it!! The craftsman has a 42 inch deck which will get through most of the gates leading into the back yards around here.....we will make due with that for now. I have a 21 inch honda push mower that will get everything else. I am probably going to take MarkintheGarden's advise and use both dealers. I am getting the Stihl stuff from one and will probably give Ferris the nod on any other mowing equipment we get. Input from you guys is invaluable during the startup phase. My son is not down here yet and I am already cutting several accounts to prime the pump. Thanks again for everyones help!