PDA

View Full Version : back pack sprayer for post emergant turf weed control.

Ryan_VT
10-08-2009, 09:52 PM
I did a search for this but did not come up with anything.

I used to work for a high-end commercial maintenance company and one summer they were short on spray techs. They came up with an idea where they were going to give me and a couple other crew leaders backpack sprayers for broad leaf post-emergent. Instead of having the techs come out and blanket spray all the turf, we were going to spot spray turf weeds every other weekly service. They ended up hiring more spray techs and this never materialized.

I've been on my own for a couple of years and I'm thinking of offering full turf services instead of recommending the company that I currently do for chemical applications.

I like the idea of the spot treatment for turf weeds. Not pre-em; but for post-emergant I don't see why spot treating every other week wouldn't work. It wouldn't be an intensive scouring of the turf, just a scan for the obvious weeds after you cut, like in a mulch bed. I know this is going to be more labor than one or two blanket sprays, but wouldnt saved chemicals and lower weed numbers make this a better option?

The most crucial info regarding this strategy is that my properties are on the high end of the scale, urban (1,000-5,000sq. feet), irrigated and healthy stands of fescue.

I would probably price my labor at 15 min. every other week plus chemical costs for the sq. footage of the turf worked into the monthly bill.

Around here everyone blanket sprays. I assume its probably like this most places, but my prior employers got the idea from somewhere. Anyone got any experience or opinions on this strategy??

Everything appreciated. Thanks!

grassman177
10-08-2009, 10:02 PM
we blanket one or two times per year, you have to. other than that we touch up only, but your lawns are smaller so the effort would be minimal, butstill a good blanket would knock out more problems with ease. i tried something like what you speak of and i ended up with more weeds in the end. lesson learned, at least one blanket in spring,

RigglePLC
10-08-2009, 10:12 PM
You just can't see all the small weeds. It is just as time consuming as a blanket spray.

cpa4t9r
10-09-2009, 10:00 AM
we blanket one or two times per year, you have to. other than that we touch up only, but your lawns are smaller so the effort would be minimal, butstill a good blanket would knock out more problems with ease. i tried something like what you speak of and i ended up with more weeds in the end. lesson learned, at least one blanket in spring,

Spring blanket spray and rarely have to spot treat.