PDA

View Full Version : Tires

tthomass
10-09-2009, 12:40 AM
Do you tow? What tires are you running? I've all terrains on both 2500's and they aren't worth a damn. I want grip for snow and the lesser reason, look. I need to rotate but these things aren't lasting. Is there an option besides a plain old radial?

I know one business owner who said buy the cheapest tires you can find and just plan on replacing them every 2 yrs. Interesting.

Summit L & D
10-09-2009, 12:45 AM
I agree with buying the cheap tires. It just makes sense to me, you never know what's going to happen to a tire on a construction site. I used to want all the tires on the trailers to match....HA...that was short lived!

tthomass
10-09-2009, 12:50 AM
I paid I think $150 each.

P.Services
10-09-2009, 12:58 AM
For grip in snow you need as many leading edges as possible. That means the smaller the tread the better, the more sipping the better (that's the little tinny cuts in the tire) your all terains don't have many leading edges, but they do look cool. Pick what you want.
Posted via Mobile Device

tthomass
10-09-2009, 01:03 AM
A tire I can get a SOLID 30+k mile out of. 40k ideal and I know it depends on how much towing. My truck, not so much but the other truck tows whenever it moves (mowing).

Fordsuvparts
10-09-2009, 01:06 AM
We run Firestone on a lot of our trucks and have had very good luck out of them. We just put 6 new 19.5 on our 2007 F450 Crew cab Dump

Hanau
10-09-2009, 01:07 AM
I only buy tires from here: www.treadwright.com and I only buy the mud terrains. Great traction, great price, and I can get 35K miles out of a set on a dually. As many miles as I drive it doesn't make sense to spend more on tires that won't last longer. I've been doing business with them since they were called Hi-Tec. Unbeatable customer service.

P.Services
10-09-2009, 01:30 AM
Mud terrains are always a big blocky tread. Great for mud but horrible in the snow. I plowed with bf goodrich mudders on a ram, horrible!!! Look sweeeeeeet though!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Hanau
10-09-2009, 01:35 AM
Treadwrights are good in snow actually. The trick is to keep the tread clean, keep enough wheelspeed to clear the treads but not so much that you dig down. What I like is that there's plenty of shoulder grip in Treadwrights design. For me that makes the difference.

They're awesome for chaining up too, I can really get that chain tight on that blocky tread. Chains don't move, which is very nice.

Now for ice they kind of suck, not very much surface area due to the blocky tread. What I do is get em siped. Bruneel will sipe and install 4 tires for about $100. Is there a siping place in your town? If so i would highly recommend you do that. Then you'll have a great performing tire.

DVS Hardscaper
10-09-2009, 08:24 AM
For plowing I had aggressive tires (M/T) that I would put on in the winter and used A/T tires spring through fall. M/T tires are usually not designed for heavy loads by any stretch, nor do they come in an array of plys.

Correct tire pressure is critical to the longevity of tire life. Correct load distribution also plays into it. I see millions of 1 ton trucks with the rear axle close to the cab, (known as cab to axle length). This does not properly distribute the weight to the front axle, so all the weight is riding on the rear axle. Not good for the rear tires and not safe for the truck. Yet, I bet 68% of landscape contractors have trucks with incorrect axle spacing.

I have learned big name brand tires don't last very long. On the dump truck I use Kuhmos (spelling?), they're great tires and about $75 to $100 less than the name brands.

JerseyGreen
10-09-2009, 09:23 AM
I run Perelli Scorpion ATR on my dodge, ilove them i got 40,000 miles on my last set.

Fordsuvparts
10-09-2009, 05:15 PM
For plowing I had aggressive tires (M/T) that I would put on in the winter and used A/T tires spring through fall. M/T tires are usually not designed for heavy loads by any stretch, nor do they come in an array of plys.

Correct tire pressure is critical to the longevity of tire life. Correct load distribution also plays into it. I see millions of 1 ton trucks with the rear axle close to the cab, (known as cab to axle length). This does not properly distribute the weight to the front axle, so all the weight is riding on the rear axle. Not good for the rear tires and not safe for the truck. Yet, I bet 68% of landscape contractors have trucks with incorrect axle spacing.

I have learned big name brand tires don't last very long. On the dump truck I use Kuhmos (spelling?), they're great tires and about $75 to $100 less than the name brands.

I agree 100% on the the off brand tires, most of my other trucks run them.

Hollowellreid
10-09-2009, 07:36 PM
on most of our trucks we try to run a high quality steer tire ( BFG Commercial T/A or Michelin LTX commercial...)

The rears get whatever miss match or leftovers. All in different states of tread and disrepair.

beano
10-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Only tires I will ever run as long as I own a truck with be the Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO's. Best all terrain tire in my opinion. Water, mud, snow....cant beat em.

tthomass
10-10-2009, 12:33 AM
The bigger concern to keep in mind is tread wear and load rating. The life of the tire is whats important, yet in an affordable package. I think $150 per tire is steep and around $100 being reasonable. I've debated two sets of wheels/tires.

DVS Hardscaper
10-10-2009, 09:47 AM
The bigger concern to keep in mind is tread wear and load rating. The life of the tire is whats important, yet in an affordable package. I think $150 per tire is steep and around $100 being reasonable. I've debated two sets of wheels/tires.

Yeh, but you're not working full force in the winter. You put agressive tars on the truck in the winter and you use a dump truck that does not push snow for the heavy hauling.

Or you do the wiser option and go to Cochran's Auction in Boonsboro MD (near my home) and you buy a nice used loader to use for snow.

tthomass
10-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Thats what I just said......winter tires for the pickup. I'm not going to do two sets of tires for the dump trucks.

If I have a 2nd loader doing snow removal, I still have to transport them. As it is now, the white Chevy goes out with its plow and the International carries the Bobcat. The job site I'm on for snow requires that the snow be plowed and then removed.

On another note, the Chevy 4500 will likely be equipped with a 10' plow and a 4 yard V-box in the back and its tires are just fine.

paponte
10-10-2009, 10:07 PM
On the pickups we run BFG A/T's, nothing less. We have went other routes and have always came back to the BFG's. You pay a little more, but you get a whole lot more. Best tires all round tires and to plow with, other than studded tires.