PDA

View Full Version : My chainsaw clogs up cutting palm and banana trees

hummingbird3d
10-09-2009, 01:52 AM
I've cut Mexican palm and banana trees with my chainsaw and I am having trouble with the clutch area getting clogged up after a few cuts. Apparently the fibers of these plants builds up in the clutch area of the saw which in turn causes so much friction that the saw stops running. I end up taking the side cover off and cleaning out fibers and this really slows me down.

What to do to prevent this?

I have an older Husqvarna 242 chainsaw.

Nosmo
10-09-2009, 06:44 AM
Evidently those two types of trees you mention are stringy and sappy fibered.

I have two Stihl chainsaws MS250 and MS260 Pro and if I cut up a lot of pine the cuttings will buildup in the housing like you mentioned.

The only solution I can offer is ---- remove the case cover and clean the cuttings out a couple times while cutting up those type of trees.

Nosmo

wagin
10-09-2009, 07:07 AM
Have the depth gauge links in the saw chain filed/ground down. Those are the straight links between the bent cut links. This allows the chain to take deeper cuts, producing larger chips. Larger chips do not infiltrate as much as smaller chips, equaling fewer clogs. But to run a modified chain you need a saw with HP.

jvanvliet
10-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Filing the depth gauge links down on the cxhain will NOT produce larger chips on palm trees or bannana trees since they are fibrous not woody... fibrous as in long strings... also they are comprised mostly of water. I agree with NOSMO... you'll have to clean the cuttings periodically.

tamadrummer
10-09-2009, 07:39 AM
The Mexican Fan Palm is not too bad. You should be able to clean one up without too much issue but the banana tree you should be using a machete on.

The machete will do all that you need it to. I would not be using a saw on one of them. It is like trying to cut water with a wash cloth in it.

MowerMedic77
10-09-2009, 07:51 AM
A sawzall is the trick for banana trees
Posted via Mobile Device

cranky44
10-09-2009, 09:31 AM
A simple handsaw cuts thru banana trees easily.

loafycleetus
10-09-2009, 02:15 PM
I like to use a 8" Beaver Blade with my FS85 for the banana trees. Juicy!

hummingbird3d
10-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Another option I was considering was changing out the 16" bar to a 21" that the dealer says that the chainsaw might be able to handle. I say MIGHT because he said the saw can be fitted with this longer bar, but it might wear out the clutch a whole lot faster. Hmmm, it might be a good compromise between cleaning out the saw a lot and cutting right thru faster:dizzy: