PDA

View Full Version : poor results with Weed B Gone

lawnchopper
10-09-2009, 11:08 AM
I picked some Ortho Weed B Gone Max with Crabgrass control to spray mainly thistle, plantain, spurge, and some weed that looks like dandilion but with out the yellow flower in a forclosed property that hasnt been maintained very well. I mixed in a handheld sprayer and walked the whole yard and it didnt even faze it. So i waited a few weeks and still it didnt even tickle it. I mixed it 2.5 oz per gal. Perhaps i could still go stronger???

I know crabgrass control is pointless this time of year but its all home depot had. Maybe i shouldve used WBG Max without it since there may be another chemical in that wouldve worked better. Dunno:confused:

any thoughts??

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
10-09-2009, 11:14 AM
I picked some Ortho Weed B Gone Max with Crabgrass control to spray mainly thistle, plantain, spurge, and some weed that looks like dandilion but with out the yellow flower in a forclosed property that hasnt been maintained very well. I mixed in a handheld sprayer and walked the whole yard and it didnt even faze it. So i waited a few weeks and still it didnt even tickle it. I mixed it 2.5 oz per gal. Perhaps i could still go stronger???

I know crabgrass control is pointless this time of year but its all home depot had. Maybe i shouldve used WBG Max without it since there may be another chemical in that wouldve worked better. Dunno:confused:

any thoughts??

How about hire a licensed professional to take care of the weeds:waving:

lawnangel1
10-09-2009, 11:23 AM
You will be hard pressed to get consistent control of any weeds but especially crabgrass with "over the counter products"

Marcos
10-09-2009, 02:22 PM

any thoughts??

I'll ditto Liberty's sentiment about MN state applicators licensing. :waving:

But aside from that, aren't there places in central Minnesota where you can buy professional caliber pesticides?
Hell, even having to travel somewhat out of your way to an ag-chemical outfit out in the middle of the boonies is 10X better than resorting to using the high priced junk that box stores like HD or Lowes sell!

suzook
10-09-2009, 02:57 PM
I'll ditto Liberty's sentiment about MN state applicators licensing. :waving:

But aside from that, aren't there places in central Minnesota where you can buy professional caliber pesticides?
Hell, even having to travel somewhat out of your way to an ag-chemical outfit out in the middle of the boonies is 10X better than resorting to using the high priced junk that box stores like HD or Lowes sell!

I agree about the junk you can buy at the box store. The internet is an option also.

LushGreenLawn
10-09-2009, 03:52 PM
I vote hire pro.

Mixing stronger than the label suggests is a felony btw.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
10-09-2009, 06:34 PM
hire a pro, not licensed is a felony too so umm, bettter whatch out there

RigglePLC
10-09-2009, 07:47 PM
You used 2.5 ounces per gallon. But how far did that gallon cover? You refilled 7 times right? Maybe you tried to stretch it too far. Small hand sprayers do not put out much and often have poor pressure. Be sure you use a gallon per 1000 sqft. And be sure you use the maximum rate permitted on the label. Add some detergent to wet the weeds better. If it is not your own property...you need a licensed professional. Better results--power equipment--save you time in the long run. Spurge and crabgrass are summer annuals--even a light frost takes them out.

grass4gas
10-09-2009, 07:51 PM

any thoughts??

Did this product state it would control these "broadleaf" weeds, as well as crabgrass? Ortho does make a product just for "grassy" weeds. Is it possible you picked up the wrong concentrate? Plaintain is one of the easiest weeds to kill, so you should have seen, at the very least, some curling after a few days.

I'll also ditto the others, follow label rates, and unless you are licensed, hire a pro.

LushGreenLawn
10-09-2009, 10:02 PM
hire a pro, not licensed is a felony too so umm, bettter whatch out there

Oh Yeah, I missed that. I read quickly and assumed it was his own property.

To the OP, You really have no choice but to hire a pro if you are not licensed. Here in DE we had a guy get hit with a $20,000 fine for spraying for weeds. The chemical that cost this poor, unlicensed guy so much on his first offense...... Round Up.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-10-2009, 11:07 AM
The active ingredient % in those over the counter products are so low that yes, unless killing conditions are ideal, control will be poor. Been there done that in my homeowner days. Then, got licensed, and sprayed my lawn with a simple amine 3-way and bam no more broadleafs in this yard.

Hire a pro.

lawnchopper
10-11-2009, 11:43 AM
yes im licensed I used to do LC but i was mostly in the mowing end of things and ive been out of the loop for a couple of yrs. I just picked up some WBG that happed to have the crabgrass control in it and mainly tried to spot treat the areas with lots of plaintain and thistle. Perphaps i'll try to get some Trimec or Lesco 3-way or something. Or maybe the WBG that come in the gal jugs with pistol grip sprayers would work better??

RigglePLC
10-11-2009, 09:37 PM
3-way or Weed B Gone--if you follow the directions correctly--you will be putting down the same amount of chemical per acre. 3-way is just more concentrated, that is all.

newz7151
10-11-2009, 10:09 PM
yes im licensed

If you were, you would not be on here asking the professionals a question like this, because you should already know the answers.

grasshog08
10-11-2009, 10:13 PM
what license is required for that?
Posted via Mobile Device

dKoester
10-12-2009, 02:59 AM
[QUOTE=newz7151;3226162]If you were, you would not be on here asking the professionals a question like this, because you should already know the answers.[/QUOTE

Ditto.

JDUtah
10-12-2009, 09:35 AM
yep i suspect a bluff as well.

what active ingredients did the WBG have?

grasshog08
10-12-2009, 10:00 AM
thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Marcos
10-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Or maybe the WBG that come in the gal jugs with pistol grip sprayers would work better??

OMG!.......You're kidding?........right? :confused:

lawnchopper
10-12-2009, 02:07 PM
good lord people.....yes I got licensed two yrs ago and its going to expire. Like i said I did LC two yrs ago and did 99% mowing, pruning, areating and edging and 1% applying roundup to spot treat parking lots and flower beds and thats it. Didnt stay up on the herbicide knowlege because cause i hardly had to apply them. I wasnt a lawn applicator I mowed. Just never used WBG and was curious why there were NO results.

grassman177
10-12-2009, 07:43 PM
we might believe you, but still get something pro to use if you are licensed and stop messing around with crap from hoMe cheapo

JDUtah
10-12-2009, 09:24 PM
good lord people.....yes I got licensed two yrs ago and its going to expire. Like i said I did LC two yrs ago and did 99% mowing, pruning, areating and edging and 1% applying roundup to spot treat parking lots and flower beds and thats it. Didnt stay up on the herbicide knowlege because cause i hardly had to apply them. I wasnt a lawn applicator I mowed. Just never used WBG and was curious why there were NO results.

you didn't answer my question

lawnchopper
10-13-2009, 12:02 AM
you didn't answer my question

it had 2-4D, Dicamba and Quinclorac for the crabgrass. It didnt have MCPP like the regular WBG does perhaps that might have helped??

I do agree with everyone saying to stay away from the home owner grade stuff and use something better.