PDA

View Full Version : Truck towing improvements

Coach
10-09-2009, 01:24 PM
I have a 3/4 ton Chevy 6.0 would like to add power and fuel mileage, would like any imput or informtion on cold air return and programmers. Will this help me while towing my mowing equipment. Thanks in advance.

C.J.

mowerbrad
10-09-2009, 02:36 PM
How much and what type of equipment are you towing?

Imow4u2
10-09-2009, 02:42 PM
You'll waste your money on all that aftermarket Hype and still suck gas.....

What are you rear-end gears?? If they are Higher than 4.10 That would be your first problem.. A good tune up and proper gearing should have you towing 12K and below at 10-11 MPG.. Least Gas is under 3 bucks, MPG depends a lot in how you drive also..

If your really into the aftermarket stuff about the only thing I'd do is drop a K&N in your fac. box.. Tuners really don't give much bang for buck on a gasser..

hockeypro1411
10-09-2009, 02:44 PM
You can't get both power and fuel mileage. You shouldn't expect that truck to get any kind of decent mileage, especially when towing. The best thing you can do is go to www.blackbearperformance.com and look into getting a custom tune from Justin. It will blow any handheld programmer out of the water.

Impressions Landscaping
10-09-2009, 04:16 PM
I don't mean to be blunt, but you chose to buy and drive a 3/4 ton truck. Right from the get go you should know it is gonna be terrible on fuel. I wouldn't even bother trying to get it to be better on fuel....however upgrades on power on the newer stuff is tough depending on what you do. You could start with a simple exhaust system and air intake, if that doesn't float your boat you could try a pcm tune, if that isn't enough get into the motor...heads pistons etc. Most of the bolt on things won't get you any noticeable amounts of power, so you have to go inside the motor to start making good power.

Junior M
10-09-2009, 04:20 PM
You'll waste your money on all that aftermarket Hype and still suck gas.....

What are you rear-end gears?? If they are Higher than 4.10 That would be your first problem.. A good tune up and proper gearing should have you towing 12K and below at 10-11 MPG.. Least Gas is under 3 bucks, MPG depends a lot in how you drive also..

If your really into the aftermarket stuff about the only thing I'd do is drop a K&N in your fac. box.. Tuners really don't give much bang for buck on a gasser..
your saying a 4:10 rearend is a bad thing? ;)

Hanau
10-09-2009, 04:34 PM
4.10 is bad for mileage Junior, bless your heart.

Junior M
10-09-2009, 09:38 PM
4.10 is bad for mileage Junior, bless your heart.
No s#it sherlock.. :hammerhead:

The OP wants it for pulling and he is saying its a bad thing? Kind of an oxymoron imo.

topsites
10-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Keeping the foot off the gas and "driving with load" saves fuel, the entire
truck and all the parts last a whole lot longer, also helps keep insurance
rates down.

If a 6.0 is not enough power for you?

Imow4u2
10-09-2009, 11:10 PM
your saying a 4:10 rearend is a bad thing? ;)

No, My point to put it more bluntly is that the 6.0 GM GAS engine is not a torque monster by any means.....

There were some "grocery getters" built with 3.73's which is way too high for a 6.0 gas pulling any kind of weight..

Yes, with no load the 3.73's will get more mileage

With load the 4.10's will actually to better, as you wont have the BS of down shifting and torque converter lock/unlock...

Hence my comment of towing 12K and below W/4.10's

Lets not forget about those that are running around with 265 or 285's an 3.73 when stock tire size for this era was 245/75/16:nono:

GravelyNut
10-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Keeping the foot off the gas and "driving with load" saves fuel, the entire
truck and all the parts last a whole lot longer, also helps keep insurance
rates down.

If a 6.0 is not enough power for you?
Not enough for me. :D

triadpm
10-10-2009, 02:27 AM
An RV cam, air and exhaust. But I would possibly consider a diesel if you can afford it.

topsites
10-10-2009, 05:39 AM

Odd, I really don't need more than a 3.8L (231) V-6, but have you considered a Freightliner?

Junior M
10-10-2009, 09:25 AM
No, My point to put it more bluntly is that the 6.0 GM GAS engine is not a torque monster by any means.....

There were some "grocery getters" built with 3.73's which is way too high for a 6.0 gas pulling any kind of weight..

Yes, with no load the 3.73's will get more mileage

With load the 4.10's will actually to better, as you wont have the BS of down shifting and torque converter lock/unlock...

Hence my comment of towing 12K and below W/4.10's

Lets not forget about those that are running around with 265 or 285's an 3.73 when stock tire size for this era was 245/75/16:nono:

Ah, okay. I understand what your saying..

Ever since I put the exhaust on my 6.0 I cant keep my foot out of it.. :D :weightlifter:

Jason Rose
10-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Ever since I put the exhaust on my 6.0 I cant keep my foot out of it.. :D :weightlifter:

What kind of exhaust / brand of muffler(s)? Single muffler or dual?

I got a '08 6.0 this summer, can't decide what to do... Magnaflow I think is the route I want. Flowmasters are ok, but I don't like all the popping and cackle they give.

What improved the 6.0 fuel economy, by about 3 mpg is the transmission. My '08 has a 6 speed, years before that they were 5 speed. Few hundred RPM lower idle at the same speed = a definate difference. I average 13 in mine, friend has an '07 and he gets about 10.

MikeKle
10-10-2009, 11:02 AM
I put a new cold air kit and K/N filter on my dodge ram and I didnt notice any power improvements? I have always heard to expect about 10 more hp from these kits? Dont waste your money.

flatlander42
10-10-2009, 11:08 AM
I put a new cold air kit and K/N filter on my dodge ram and I didnt notice any power improvements? I have always heard to expect about 10 more hp from these kits? Dont waste your money.

X2

If I didn't get my k/n cold air crap for free I'd be upset. All I noticed is that you can hear the air getting sucked in......and the filter is a PITA, EXPENSIVE and needs cleaned often....wasted effort!

(2001 f150 5.4 4x4)

MikeKle
10-10-2009, 11:13 AM
My filter stays pretty clean. It is nice you can clean those k/n filters over and over, but you still have to buy that red oil to spray on it, which with the filter cleaner, the kit is around $12. so your not really saving that much with a K/N?

flatlander42
10-10-2009, 11:42 AM
The filter was like 60 some bucks. The clean up kit was like you said. But you have to find a 24hr time that you won't be driving because the filter has to dry that long. That is what kills the little that you may save. I did not notice any mpg gain, or performance gain.....<pry to small to notice> so to me it might just get taken off and put the stock one back on! maybe

MikeKle
10-10-2009, 01:22 PM
I take my back pack blower and hold it up to the filter for 10 or so minutes and usually let it sit in full sun for the next 4-5 hours and it is dry then, without using the blower, your right, you basically have to let the truck sit until dry! It is better than the OEM filter and housing though, they were a pain to get back on!

soloscaperman
10-10-2009, 05:14 PM
What year is that vortec?

It's a vette motor with a small cam and has a cast iron block instead of aluminum. Put a better cam, heads, cold air, and good piping and exhaust, and headers and you will be easy over 440HP & over 430 torque!

You have to understand that GM loves to smother these V8 engines for some reason.

Also drive the truck slow that helps so much.

Junior M
10-10-2009, 08:47 PM
What kind of exhaust / brand of muffler(s)? Single muffler or dual?

I got a '08 6.0 this summer, can't decide what to do... Magnaflow I think is the route I want. Flowmasters are ok, but I don't like all the popping and cackle they give.

What improved the 6.0 fuel economy, by about 3 mpg is the transmission. My '08 has a 6 speed, years before that they were 5 speed. Few hundred RPM lower idle at the same speed = a definate difference. I average 13 in mine, friend has an '07 and he gets about 10.

Ours is an 02. Stock it was duals to the muffler then went to a single.

So we put a Flowmaster muffler the guy suggested that dual in and dual out, sounds great(I'll see what model and all that BS it is). My only complaint, it sounded good when first installed and it still sounds good but its getting louder. to the point you cant drive with the windows down and talk around town because it is lound. But being me, I gotta crack it every once in a while and I love the sound of it. So I deal with it.. :cool2: :laugh:

As far as gas mileage, I put the exhaust on 2 days prior to putting 33's on the truck, so I kind of cancelled it out. I havent measured my fuel mileage since putting the 33s and exhaust on it(both negatives because I am on the throttle more:laugh:) because truthfully, I am scared to! Stock I averaged like 10 or 11.

What year is that vortec?

It's a vette motor with a small cam and has a cast iron block instead of aluminum. Put a better cam, heads, cold air, and good piping and exhaust, and headers and you will be easy over 440HP & over 430 torque!

You have to understand that GM loves to smother these V8 engines for some reason.

Also drive the truck slow that helps so much.

Mines an 2002, please tell me what I can do, I'd love to have more power..

soloscaperman
10-12-2009, 01:07 AM
Don't ever put Slowmasters on it!! Dyno numbers off a LT1 and LS1 show's that it hurts it.

Go to CamaroZ28.com and go to the LS1 forum. I am planning of dropping a motor just like yours in mine. The guys on this forum are pro builders and will guide you in the right path. You have a very good motor and they can make past 1200 + HP!

You can get a tune for your truck which cost like $100 had it done to my camaro and it is like night and day and get better gas mileage. You can use LS1 edit software for your truck and can view everything from your laptop and can change the setting by using downloads from other guys with the same motor and specs. The software you have to buy and the cable also but you can scan your car in real time, check engine codes, and change air fuel ratio. My camaro came factory very rich so I leaned it out and gained about 10 -15 HP!