PDA

View Full Version : tight hydros

carcrz
10-09-2009, 07:00 PM
What causes your hydros to feel too tight or too loose? I've got two Ferris IS3000's and one is easy to move & the other makes you push fairly hard on the controls. I had them checked out last year & they were supposedly rebuilt then, but they're still just as tight. :confused:

shop22
10-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Some of the IS3000 units had return springs located just under the fuel tanks. The springs were supposed to bring the levers back to neutral if you let go of them. This makes the handles harder to push forward. Just something to check.

carcrz
10-09-2009, 10:56 PM
I wonder if the springs are stiffer on the one?! Thanks for the tip. Any additional ideas anyone? Going to check that one out in the morning.

carcrz
10-17-2009, 03:32 PM
I got to looking at it yesterday finally. There's a spring on each side, as well as a shock. Since the controls are hard to push in forward & reverse, I'm actually starting to wonder if those shocks are the cause?? When I let off of the controls, it almost seems as though it eases back to neutral rather than jumping back like I would think the springs would cause them to do.

ricky86
10-17-2009, 05:17 PM
They are not shocks, They are dampeners, so the controls can only be moved in a controlled manner. Other wise, you shock the pump and other drive line components.

carcrz
10-18-2009, 08:03 AM
So is it possible that the dampeners are shot & that's what would cause the controls to push hard in both directions? I just find it hard to see how the springs are causing my problem. I would think the springs would just make it hard to return to the neutral position, rather than push/pull.