PDA

View Full Version : Asphalt.......why not??

tthomass
10-09-2009, 07:44 PM
The paver driveway we're currently building will have a new 425+/- SF asphalt apron put in. I'm prepping the whole thing and they're just laying down the asphalt....$3,100.

Customer is having a party this coming weekend right after we finish the driveway. Issue is the asphalt guy may get held up on his current job paving a bank parking lot and not be able to do it until Monday. At this point its late and very short notice to get someone out on Thursday.

Asphalt is $46 per ton. If I'm doing all the prep......pipe under the driveway and compacted 21A/CR16............why can't I just do the asphalt too? Pick it up, rent a roller and have at it. Its small, seems very much within our capabilities. No, I wouldn't do a driveway but this seems very very straight forward. Labor and everything, off the top of my head, I can't see going past $1,000 in cost.

So, is there some big deal with working with asphalt that I don't see for this particular application? No, I haven't done it before and yeah there's the whole risk deal but if I just installed, compacted and got perfect 220 tons of 21A over an area that is 90x25 without using a transit until finished and to only put it back in the truck.........I don't see why we can't do this little apron and keep everything on schedule to be completed by the weekend.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused:

TerraVenture
10-09-2009, 07:59 PM
I have done a little bit with asphalt. It is messy imy biggest problem. You have to clean with diesel. Just make sure it is warm out so you have a good open time before it starts to set. Asphlat guys run heated bodys on there trucks. Make sure it is perfect before compacting because it is hard to scratch up after the fact. The job I just did was 12.5' x 18' that I did by myself and it came out just okay. I wish it had come out better but I graded it out so it looked perfect but it was a little wavy after compacting but at that point it was too late.

P.Services
10-09-2009, 07:59 PM
I agree with you 100 percent! My uncle is doing his whole supply yard parking lot himself with a bobcat and rakes. What's the worst that would happen? It doesn't turn out and you have to rip it out? Big deal lesson learned. That isn't goin to happen anyways.

They are probly b.s you a bit on the price per ton though. You arnt going to get close to the same price as the big guys. At least that's what I see here. (15 dollar diffrence)
Posted via Mobile Device

tthomass
10-09-2009, 08:03 PM
That price is what the plant gave me because I'm looking at doing a 100' apron into my property myself.

Terra......if there is a dip and I add more there, then compact. Does it look like a patch, can you see what I did or does it just mash all together as if I never added anything?

Hollowellreid
10-09-2009, 08:12 PM
I have done a couple driveways in the past.

Just use common sense that you already have.... Asphalt will compact a fair bit, I would say on a standard 2-3 inch slab you will want to leave it 1/2"++ above final grade.

We do the exact same thing, rent a roller, cover the pavers and other areas that you might be worried about with rosin paper or something similar.

It needs to be nice and flat, as if you add more once it has already been compacted (even if it's still hot) it will look like a patch. Screeding like you would do bedding sand or concrete works alright as well.

I have done small patches or aprons with a plate compactor and a guy spraying water. Works Alright

tthomass
10-09-2009, 08:24 PM
So turn a couple 2x4's up like forming concrete and screed it, compact it and I'm done?

Hollowellreid
10-09-2009, 08:49 PM
just like anything else it's all in the prep.

Screeding it can be hit or miss....I would advise raking a bit too.

I guess it really depends on the perfection your client demands....the jobs we have done look on par with most commercial grade work you see, if not better.

mrusk
10-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Why not just finding another paving company? I had about the same area paved last fall for 1000 bucks.

kootoomootoo
10-09-2009, 09:20 PM
everyones too busy

wait Obama is in charge.

P.L.
10-09-2009, 09:24 PM
You just have to be ready to work fast. As soon as it starts to cool it becomes very sticky and hard to work with. You don't need to compact it as much as you need to roll it smooth. A compactor can actually make more of a mess than it's worth, and I would recommend the smallest lightest one you have to work with. Make sure all of your tools and your roller or compactor are constantly sprayed with diesel,water or a light oil. If you don't keep them covered (especially the compactor or roller) the asphalt will stick and make a huge mess of your work. I would fill the area up as close to grade as you can get and rake it out as smooth as you can then go over it with the roller. If you need to fix a small spot place a very thin layer over the entire area and it will blend right in. The cooler it gets the harder it is to blend in and the harder it gets to smooth out. It's not hard to work with you just have to be ready, work fast and keep your tools oiled.

DVS Hardscaper
10-09-2009, 10:08 PM
i think i'd just call another paving company and be done with it.

tthomass
10-09-2009, 11:30 PM
I'm leaning towards that. I don't want to mess with it the more I think about it. Hope someone's answering phones tomorrow. I'm sure someone is hungry.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
10-10-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm leaning towards that. I don't want to mess with it the more I think about it. Hope someone's answering phones tomorrow. I'm sure someone is hungry.

Heck you'll probably get calls from 100-150 miles away at least in this area.

I just went on a bid for a patio. They told me they had estimates as low as $3500 for a 21x18 paver patio with 6' wide radius steps and a firepit. :hammerhead: Take in account it was using all SRW products.

Stone Creations
10-10-2009, 09:03 PM
I agree tomass..not something you want to deal with...after youve done it a couple of times its no big deal..first time if your not hustling while its still hot you can run into all sort of problems..and you basically have to throw your boots out too!! LOL..get a company so your client will have the piece of mind even w/ warrenty issues...1 year or they rip it out is normal..do you wanna deal with that...

paponte
10-10-2009, 09:17 PM
You need guys with experience. As mentioned it has to be kept hot, and your tools clean. Once it's dropped out of the truck you need to work your way out of the area with guys to set your edges to grade and guys raking the middle to height. It must be raked out perfectly, then rolled.

kootoomootoo
10-10-2009, 11:29 PM
so i cant take a 2 day course and call myself certified?

tthomass
10-11-2009, 01:04 AM
so i cant take a 2 day course and call myself certified?

http://www.txhotmix.org/certification.php

tthomass
10-11-2009, 01:06 AM
Found a small guy in need of work and hooked him up. I researched a bit and don't care to mess with it.