PDA

View Full Version : Need input on shady, high traffic areas please

ChristianJ318
10-10-2009, 01:13 AM
Since getting started in this business this year my trailer and equipment now occupy my garage leaving our vehicles outside. My driveway is just wide enough for two cars so when entering and exiting them, we are forced to walk on our St. Augustine. To make matters much worse, we have a large oak tree that is in desperate need of pruning, shading the majority of our front lawn. In addition to the dead areas along the driveway, we had to have our water line replaced this year and the company completely destroyed more than half of our lawn on the other side of the oak tree and on the street side of our sidewalk. So here I am in the trying to make it in the lawn maintenance biz and I have the worst looking lawn on our street...talk about bad for business! Unfortunately, I cannot afford to have the tree trimmed at this point. $1600 is just completely out of the question. What can I do to fill in these dead spots? I figure re-sod the large areas but, what about along the drive? St. Augustine just isn't going to hold up to the foot traffic and I would prefer not to use pavers. Your experience is needed!
Im in North Louisiana

Kiril
10-10-2009, 10:01 AM
IMO, time to rethink your landscape design.

grassman177
10-12-2009, 07:45 PM
IMO, time to rethink your landscape design.

yup, no magic grass for that. walkway is the way to go for traffic, maybe some plants too if budgett allows

ChristianJ318
10-12-2009, 10:46 PM
A walkway will not work for my space. The area I'm trying to repair is approx 2ft in width and about 6-8ft in length along the driveway. At best, I could use some pavers butted up against the driveway, but I think that would look just as bad as having the very weak st. augustine or dirt.

Smittie
10-13-2009, 10:25 AM
what about a rock bed like river rock or pea gravel. There really is NO grass that will hold up to the abuse you are talking about. The other suggestion I have is widen the drive way. You could do that yourself with bags of sakrete, a little digging and some form boards. At 2 foot wide I would strongly consider the sakrete if it were me. BTW check around on here not all lco's have a beautiful lawn cause we are busy making everyone elses beautiful.

Ron D.
10-16-2009, 11:21 AM
I have a lot of shade and heavy traffic in several areas. The best fix I have found is mulch. You'll have to refresh it occasionally but it works well for me. Use a lot, and where you frequently walk, use some flagstone stepping stones or the round concrete type you get at Home Depot. It's a cheap fix and will look good too.

White Gardens
10-16-2009, 05:36 PM
I have a lot of shade and heavy traffic in several areas. The best fix I have found is mulch. You'll have to refresh it occasionally but it works well for me. Use a lot, and where you frequently walk, use some flagstone stepping stones or the round concrete type you get at Home Depot. It's a cheap fix and will look good too.

Exactly.

Just landscape it all and be done with it. If it doesn't grow grass now, it probably never will.

greenskeeper79
10-16-2009, 05:43 PM
old saying...

"what happened to that tree?"

"lightning got it."

our stihl is named lightning for a reason.

turf and trees don't live in harmony all the time........

ChristianJ318
10-16-2009, 05:53 PM
I like the idea of widening the driveway but, I wouldn't be confident enough to attempt something like that with a few bags of quick crete. I dont know that Id want it permanent either. I may just add some pavers until I can afford to get this rediculous tree trimmed up and get the grass healthy again. Thanks for the replies

White Gardens
10-16-2009, 06:55 PM
I like the idea of widening the driveway but, I wouldn't be confident enough to attempt something like that with a few bags of quick crete. I dont know that Id want it permanent either. I may just add some pavers until I can afford to get this rediculous tree trimmed up and get the grass healthy again. Thanks for the replies

Just trimming the tree isn't going to help. Even if you trim it, it will eventually fill back in again.

Ya, go with some pavers. Just set your base correctly and maybe use a concrete restraint. to hold them in place.