PDA

View Full Version : Towing my 16ft trailer full of mowers?

MikeKle
10-10-2009, 12:07 PM
I have noticed when I am pulling away from a red light or other dead stop, my truck or trailer makes a whinig noise for a few seconds? Its hard to tell where its coming from, but it sounds like the truck? maybe the tranny? it doesnt matter if I have the tow/haul mode engaged or not. It only last a few seconds and sounds kinda like a medium pitched "whine". Anyone else experience this? It seems to be worse on up hill grades than when on a flat spot.

topsites
10-10-2009, 12:21 PM
The easy fix, have you tried easing up on the throttle, that is, don't push it down as
fast but do it a lot more gradually, nice and easy.
See if that fixes it.

Then I might suggest checking engine and transmission mounts, sometimes the rubber in those mounts gives way.
Once one is broken it allows the engine / tranny to LEAN more under load, this could cause some undue friction that you're hearing.

laird006
10-10-2009, 03:26 PM
try u-joints, my truck did something similar and thats what my problem was

MowinginEureka
10-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Could be a slipping serpentine belt? Make sure all your belts are tight and not worn or cracked. Those belts will squeal really loud.

1grnlwn
10-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Check your trailer bearings. I have lost 2. One made noise the other just went.

STIHL GUY
10-25-2009, 03:32 AM
Check your trailer bearings. I have lost 2. One made noise the other just went.

i second that. its no fun to lose a bearing while driving down the road

topsites
10-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Oh, bearings, that never crossed my mind, why?

My trailer has bearing buddies, I just squeeze a little grease in once a year,
sorry I figured everybody had these, forgot that most trailers don't come with them.
Why, because my bearing buddies have been on my trailer for 8 years, so I plain forgot about that.

So on that note, if your trailer doesn't have bearing buddies?
I think you should probably get some, the cost is a bit outrageous at first but then as you can see this is one problem I never worry about.

Yes sir, reliability will save your tail, I've always said bearing buddies should come standard (on some they do, but most I dare say they don't).

jbturf
10-25-2009, 08:02 PM
sure its not just the cooling fan for the trucks motor?