PDA

View Full Version : too much pre-m

naylorman
10-10-2009, 02:48 PM
how long will pre-m stay active in my tank and how and should i dispose of it?

ted putnam
10-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Bigger operations will have wastewater tanks they pump into and recycle the water/mix a little at a time by adding it to the tank as they fill at a later time. When I have leftover mix I spray my own lawn or offer "freebies" to family,friends or good customers. This can be areas that have not been treated for whatever reason. However, unless it's a special project/different purpose where what's currently in my tank might be detrimental, I just fill on top and continue with whatever I was going to do. If you're just wanting to empty your tank for the season and winterize, I suggest the "freebie" route. It builds good relations and solves your problem all at the same time.:)

Think Green
10-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Naylor,
Pendi will not degrade in aqueous solutions, however it will settle out in the tank if not agitated with jet or auger. Pendi is sensitive to light degredation and hydrolosis, so keep it mixed in a shaded tank away from warm water. pH factors are smaller!! The material bonds well to clay or organic matter, so unless your sprayer has soil in the water, it will stay active. (Read the label section on mixing,etc.) I don't leave pendi in my tanks overnight because of settling. I don't want this aqueous suspended powder staying in the pumps for too long. In my backpacks, it settles in the nozzle springs,etc. If you have sprayed this stuff for a while, then you will know what I mean!!

When you are talking about disposal, how much are you talking about here?
A small amount can be sprayed around your own home lawn or for someone else, just as Ted has offered you. When I am through for the day, I only have 8 gallons of mixture left. This goes on my lawn! I always would rather have a little too much than not enough to finish the route. Sometimes I will walk a little faster and not have enough.
I keep records of how many gallons per customer and how much chemical per lawn it takes for the season. This way, I can regulate how many gallons to add to the tank and chemical each respective route. I don't want too much left over!!!!!

RigglePLC
10-10-2009, 09:58 PM
It settles out! Use it up soon. There must be someone who woould appreciate an extra free treatment.

VARMIT COMMISSION
10-10-2009, 10:39 PM
If I have extra in the tank overnight, I have a stiff bristled long handle broom that I will scrub the bottom of the tank with to resuspend it as I am adding water to the big tank the following day. I once let it settle out over night and started the pump and clogged my filter within seconds. I wash off the broom with new water refilling the tank and set the broom in a plastic 5 gallon bucket for the next use. Works for me.

naylorman
10-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks so it doesn'nt harm the tank by being left in there three or four days?

ted putnam
10-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Thanks so it doesn'nt harm the tank by being left in there three or four days?

Keep it parked under cover if in a poly tank. Agitate well and recirculate hose lines before use and you should be fine.

Think Green
10-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Naylor,
This stuff breaks into small shards similar to paint flakes. I have never been able to resuspend this stuff after it completely settles out. I don't care how much water is added or surfactant. Some of the ingredients will dissolve and resuspend but the remainder will get into the pump, the nozzle, the lines and everything. It isn't worth the extra time and effort to clean out the system. Do as you will, it is your time!!

RigglePLC
10-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Think green is right. I saw a company tank that had the stuff settle out--and it had blocked his return/agitation line. There was no bypass and their pump was powerful--it kept building up to 400 pounds pressure and they could not reduce it. It wasn't pretty.

greendoctor
10-11-2009, 10:18 PM
I would find some people that would appreciate a free weed treatment. Any product that is not a clear liquid or emulsion retains its chemical properties, however reconstituting it into a sprayable form is another story. If it turns into paint flakes, then trying to spray it and use it is not the same, your AI is not going on the lawn, it is getting caught in the filters. For me, I do not mix what I am not going to use in one day. I avoid keeping a mix overnight.

ted putnam
10-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Wow. Maybe I have used better quality Pre-M than some. I NEVER...repeat NEVER empty my tank each day. In fact , I usually fill my tank the night before so I am ready to immediately pull out the next morning.There have been times it has sat all weekend filled. NEVER a problem.When I worked for Chemlawn many years ago we would fill all tankers (12) before we went home. Each was 1,100 gal. Can you imagine filling 12 tankers in the morning, even with the 4" water lines, it took some time. Very seldom was there ever a problem. Usually if there was it was because there was chelated micro mix added which always left residue in tank and filters. Like Varmit said, you may have to use a brush to give it a little "jump start", but if you have adequate agitation, even that might not be necessary. JMO