PDA

View Full Version : Estimating Stone

AA961JESTER
05-07-2002, 06:56 PM
I recently branched out into doing large stone jobs. Many houses in my area are turning to stoning the majority of their property in heavily shaded and tree covered areas. I have been having trouble estimating stone orders. Doing a search I found the followinf values 1 ton per 100 sq feet, and 150 lbs per cubic foot. Are these the most popular estimates. Also one distributor sells rock by the ton, while another sells it by the cubis yard. Is there a quick method of converting tons to yards and yards to tons? To give you an idea the last job I did used 63 tons of 3/8 red stone, 15 tons of 3/4 delaware, and 21 tons of 3" delaware. I was off on my estimation of the red stone by 12 tons, lucky I set a cushon for myself in the price.

Stonehenge
05-07-2002, 07:12 PM
It all depends on the stone.

Every stone, whether decorative (like in landscape beds) or structural (like retaining walls), has it's own density. That density, and the materials that make up the stone, are what make up it's weight.

Your best bet when estimating stone is to look to your stone supplier for coverages, weights, etc. They should have that info readily available for you.

AA961JESTER
05-07-2002, 07:32 PM
Any idea where I can get one of those coverage charts. It seems I have been working primarilly with 3/8 and 3/4 delaware and red barnstone. The suppliers dont have anything I already checked. I saw that advice prior when I did a search. My primary distributor (sells by the ton) is an 78 year old guy who says I should be able to eye ball it. Maybe someday I will be able to but not now. The second distributor (sells by the yard0 actually buys from mu first distributor. I use the second distributor when I need smaller amounts or on weekends.

Stonehenge
05-07-2002, 07:56 PM
Sounds like 2 small outfits you buy from - is it possible to get a price list from a larger stone supplier/quarry? If they've got 20 bins or more of material, they oughta have info like that for you.

Because I've never heard of Delaware or Barnstone, I'd have no idea what coverage info to give you.

AA961JESTER
05-08-2002, 09:53 AM
For Nj they are not small. The primary only deals in stone and has at least 50 bins of assorted rock. The second supplier has at least 14 bins. The stone I referred to is very popular here Delaware River Rock, and Red Barn Stone.

Stonehenge
05-08-2002, 02:11 PM
50 bins of stone all run by a 78 year old guy? Must be one helluva guy!! It's hard to believe that in moving that much stone they don't at least have coverages for you.

Sounds like the customer comes last over there. :(

And I believe you about the popularity of the stone - just that different parts of the country use what's easily available to them, and I don't know squat about those two kinds of stone (though I'd bet they're similar to ones here like American Heritage, Mississippi Pebble, Flint River Rock). Though it gets frustrating when each stone supplier calls the same stuff something different.

steveair
05-08-2002, 09:43 PM
Go to home depot.....

Go to the garden center......

Look for bagged stone........(will probably say southdown on it if you are in NJ)

Flip bagged stone over and look on back....there you will see a 'chart' for coverages.

If you have any more questions, ask the man/women wearing a orange apron.........I guarantee they have charts there.

steve

DaveK
05-09-2002, 08:09 AM
Here are a few that I have.

Barn Red 2400 lbs per cu yd (same as red barnstone??)
Beechwood Pebbles 1000 lbs per cu yd
Burnt Coral 2200 lbs per cu yd
Silica Pebbles 2560 lbs per cu yd
Spanish Tile 1800 lbs per cu yd
Walnut Nuggets 2200 lbs per cu yd
Walnut Pebbles 2470 lbs per cu yd
Western Sunrise 2000 lbs per cu yd
Large Black Lava 950 lbs per cu yd
Small Black Lava 1300 lbs per cu yd
Large Red Lava 850 lbs per cu yd
Small Red Lava 1200 lbs per cu yd
1 1/2" Cobblestone 2700 lbs per cu yd
4"-8" Cobblestone 2700 lbs per cu yd
21AA crushed Limestone 2400 lbs per cu yd
Pea Gravel 3000 lbs per cu yd
White Limestone 2600 lbs per cu yd

Keep in mind that as Stonehenge mentioned, availabilty depends on your geographic area, and many suppliers call the same stone by a different name. But this should give you an idea.
I am suprised that your supplier doesn't make this info available. The suppliers selling by the cu yd still buy it by the ton, so they MUST know.