PDA

View Full Version : diseased dogwood?

Evan528
06-17-2000, 04:17 PM
about a month ago i planted a pink kousa dogwood for a costomer of mine. about 2 weeks after i planted it the edges of all the leaves on the entire tree turned dark maroon...there not dry. what is causing this discoloration? will it live? i really dont feel like wasting 100 bucks to replace this tree! any ideas?

mattingly
06-17-2000, 08:00 PM
I am not 100% sure and I don't have my problem solver in front of me. Personally, I would tell them it is probably transplant shock and that it should still be a healthy specimen. Wait til this fall or even better next spring to see if there are any ramifications. If the tree appears to suffer more and more problems, email me and I will try and find out what's wrong with it.<br>Good luck<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY

PRapoza451
06-18-2000, 11:57 AM
I planted a large kousa dogwood for a client about three or four years ago and for the first two seasons it looked pretty shabby. Transplant shock. The customer wanted it replaced but I convinced them to hang in with it and they did. It looks great now and they are happy they stuck with it. Good luck.<br>I agree with Lanelle below on the surprise visits. Bring a soil probe and core the root ball or beside the ball. Also a good idea to core new lawn installs that customers say they are watering. The proof is in the dusty core.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: PRapoza451

Lanelle
06-19-2000, 03:46 PM
I agree that Kousas are prone to show signs of transplant shock. The client should take extra care with its watering needs. Don't let it get dried out this summer. And to cover yourself, make a couple of surprise inspections to be sure that the watering is adequate.<p>----------<br>Lanelle<br>