PDA

View Full Version : Mower not charging

SAVLAWNMAN
10-10-2009, 11:38 PM
I have a 27 hp kohler on a toro zmaster. It is not charging the battery. I have replaced the battery. I have replaced the regulator. I am getting 50 volts from the stator when engine is running. Any ideas?

krider
10-11-2009, 03:05 AM
did you check the fuses?

SAVLAWNMAN
10-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Yes all the fuses are good. I am getting only 12 volts at the battery with the engine running.

Leaf Jockey
10-11-2009, 11:42 AM
How many volts are you seeing at the center terminal (battery +) of the regulator with the engine running?

Cboy7
10-11-2009, 03:04 PM
only thing left is the coils if it isnt in wiring

AmGreen
10-12-2009, 11:52 AM
had the same problem on a 27 kohler. replaced battery and regulator...still wouldn't crank after running for a while. finally replaced the stator. everything has been fine since. I can't remember what reading we were getting from it before we replaced it though...

JCinNC
10-12-2009, 03:19 PM
I had this problem earlier this year on a 22 kohler. Kept charging the battery, and it kept testing 12.7v, but would not start. Eventually found out that the connections at the terminals were not tight enough, and I haven't had a problem since.

I also had this happen several years ago on a Dodge Caravan. It just went completely dead. Turns out the terminal was dirty and wasn't making a proper connection.

I hope your problem turns out to be this simple.

Sharpcut 1
10-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Regulator HAS to be grounded to work. nplug the wiring, and check center terminal with volt meter. With key on, you should have battery voltage. If regulator does not see battery voltage, it won't charge.

SAVLAWNMAN
10-18-2009, 06:30 PM
I charged the battery. I have 12.8 volts there. The regulator is grounded. The Battery terminal on the regulator only has about 10 volts with key switch in run position.

VegetiveSteam
10-18-2009, 10:36 PM
I charged the battery. I have 12.8 volts there. The regulator is grounded. The Battery terminal on the regulator only has about 10 volts with key switch in run position.

You're getting close. If you have 12.8 volts at the battery you need to find out why you only have 10 volts at the battery terminal of the regulator. It should be basically the same. I always figure roughly 1/10 of a volt drop for every connection in a circuit. So to get 1 volt drop you would need 10 connections. No way should you have almost a 3 volt drop. There is something wrong between the regulator and the battery. You have a bad connection somewhere. I'd check key switch or the connections at the key switch. Someone mentioned coils. I assume they were talking about ignition coils. You probably already know this but ignition coils have nothing to do with the charging system. Whatever is keeping you from reading your 12.8 volts at the battery terminal at the regulator is the same thing that is causing you not to get charge to your battery.